My first chameleon

ChamyLove

Hey! My very first chameleoon arived today! He's an ambamja. I'm really excited to have him. So, I know that you are supposed to leave them alone for a week or two and let them settle in, but even if i just try and look at him he crawls under a leaf and hides. Is this normal? Is he just scared? Will he eventually not mind me looking at him? :confused:

My baby nosy be is terrified of me too, it's completely normal. You might enjoy observing his normal behavior from afar with a pair of binoculars. And if you have a scared cham do not handle them at all unless you are moving him to clean his cage, etc., forcing handling with a scared Cham will only make him dread you opening his cage. I've only had this one for a week and he has already let his guard down enough to let me sit or stand in front of his cage while he eats or does whatever, now he only gets nervous when I have my hand within a 10" or so of him. The trick is to take it slow, and interact with him on his own terms.

Most chameleons are quite shy by nature (remember they are arboreal and are not used to all the action that comes with living on the ground.) Some become more tolerant of their caregivers and some remain a bit on the shy side (and some can be just plain aggressive!) If you give him space and allow him to adjust at his pace, eventually he'll associate you with positive interactions (food, a nice warm misting if he likes them, ect). Don't worry...your patience and care will pay off! Congrats on your new lil man!

Misting

Most chameleons are quite shy by nature (remember they are arboreal and are not used to all the action that comes with living on the ground.) Some become more tolerant of their caregivers and some remain a bit on the shy side (and some can be just plain aggressive!) If you give him space and allow him to adjust at his pace, eventually he'll associate you with positive interactions (food, a nice warm misting if he likes them, ect). Don't worry...your patience and care will pay off! Congrats on your new lil man!

Thanks! Sorry I'm late replying, but I've had my chameleon a few months now, and I still cant figure out how to get the misting water warm. The water is room temp, but it still isn't very warm. How do you get it that way?:confused:

Thanks! Sorry I'm late replying, but I've had my chameleon a few months now, and I still cant figure out how to get the misting water warm. The water is room temp, but it still isn't very warm. How do you get it that way?:confused:

I hand mist mine and I put hot water in the misting bottle. It cools off quite a bit by time the mist hits the cage. It really helped Rebel start to enjoy his mistings when I switched to hot water.. Hope this helps. Oh if you have a misting system I have read that some put fish tank heaters in the reservoir
:D.

I hand mist mine and I put hot water in the misting bottle. It cools off quite a bit by time the mist hits the cage. It really helped Rebel start to enjoy his mistings when I switched to hot water.. Hope this helps. Oh if you have a misting system I have read that some put fish tank heaters in the reservoir

Thank you so much!!!!!!!:p:)

I do that too, but noticed the heat energy of the water is lost by the time
it travels through the 1/4'' tubing and hits my chams.
It's then only slightly warmer them w/o the heater, and I have it turned up
all the way.

Back
Top Bottom