My first chameleon is a female.(need info)

Mattson98

Ik these female can lay eggs without a male .is this something I should be worried about any time soon? I just got her a few days ago and I asked for a male and they only had females . I just hear alot about egg bound and complications and kinda worries me as it's my first chameleon. She's about 4 Inches long head to end of tail. Also is still really small

Make sure to have an egg laying bin at all times. I've only had a male so I can't exactly help you too much without feeling like I am giving the wrong information. The less you feed her, the less eggs she has. You don't want to feed her too much. She will lay infertile eggs without a male. Also, mind adding pics of her and your enclosure for others to see?

Here's what you should also fill out!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Make sure to have an egg laying bin at all times. I've only had a male so I can't exactly help you too much without feeling like I am giving the wrong information. The less you feed her, the less eggs she has. You don't want to feed her too much. She will lay infertile eggs without a male. Also, mind adding pics of her and your enclosure for others to see?
IMG_1593015729701.jpg

I live in Tn
Humidity is 67
Temp is 87 at the bask going down to 73 at the bottom.
Eating dusted crickets (without d³)
Hasn't accepted any other food yet
I tried small dubias and small superworms she hissed the second I put them in there until I took them out .
She is fine with me in the cage and she loves crickets .
All screen enclosure 16*16*30
She is a little longer than my index finger head to end of tail .
Lights I have a 75watt heating lamp and a 5.0uvb bar light

Aww...just a little cutie. ? Once she gets to be around 5-6 months old, you’ll need to keep a lay bin in her enclosure. Is easiest to make it a permanent part of her enclosure to avoid having to guess when she’ll need it and avoid the stress of moving one in/out. You will want to try to limit the size of clutches she lays and also the frequency. When she reaches around 5-6 months, you’ll want to reduce her feedings and her basking temps. This is a great article on how to do it.http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
This is a resource to teach you about setting up a lay bin. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Aww...just a little cutie. ? Once she gets to be around 5-6 months old, you’ll need to keep a lay bin in her enclosure. Is easiest to make it a permanent part of her enclosure to avoid having to guess when she’ll need it and avoid the stress of moving one in/out. You will want to try to limit the size of clutches she lays and also the frequency. When she reaches around 5-6 months, you’ll want to reduce her feedings and her basking temps. This is a great article on how to do it.http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
This is a resource to teach you about setting up a lay bin. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
Thank you ! Also any help identifying how old she is ? I got her at PetSmart

As they are approaching maturity it's important not to overfeed the females...it can lead to follicular stasis, egg binding, producing large clutches, MBD and even prolapsing.

It's important to provide a proper egg laying bin in the cage at all times then too.

You have some time to go.

Please answer the questions @hiddenflaws posted though so we can check your husbandry.

She's also surprisingly friendly . I'm sure that'll change with age but the past 2 days she's been reaching for me anytime i open the door to the enclosure and she likes climbing on my arms and then after about 5 min she hops back on the screen and goes right back in to go bask . I hope she stays this friendly I've heard veils can be pretty evil tempered lol

As they are approaching maturity it's important not to overfeed the females...it can lead to follicular stasis, egg binding, producing large clutches, MBD and even prolapsing.

It's important to provide a proper egg laying bin in the cage at all times then too.

You have some time to go.

Please answer the questions @hiddenflaws posted though so we can check your husbandry.
I already answered those up a few posts

She's also surprisingly friendly . I'm sure that'll change with age but the past 2 days she's been reaching for me anytime i open the door to the enclosure and she likes climbing on my arms and then after about 5 min she hops back on the screen and goes right back in to go bask . I hope she stays this friendly I've heard veils can be pretty evil tempered lol

They definitely have some funny personalities ?

I live in Tn
Humidity is 67
Temp is 87 at the bask going down to 73 at the bottom.
Eating dusted crickets (without d³)
Hasn't accepted any other food yet
I tried small dubias and small superworms she hissed the second I put them in there until I took them out .
She is fine with me in the cage and she loves crickets .
All screen enclosure 16*16*30
She is a little longer than my index finger head to end of tail .
Lights I have a 75watt heating lamp and a 5.0uvb bar light
Also I have a dripper and a humidifier coming in the mail in 2 days

Is there a huge difference between a mister and a humidifier?

Misters are usually ran during the day. I mostly see people have the mist king system with a timer. Humidifiers are only to be run at night. I like to run mine an hour or so after my lights turn off. I try to give time for it to cool off in temperature. Keep your humidity levels low in the day time and high at night.

Misters are usually ran during the day. I mostly see people have the mist king system with a timer. Humidifiers are only to be run at night. I like to run mine an hour or so after my lights turn off. I try to give time for it to cool off in temperature. Keep your humidity levels low in the day time and high at night.
It stays around 50 during the day and then I hand mist about 5 min after the lights go off .I have it set for 8am and 8pm . Also how often should I run my dripper every day ? I haven't seen her drink but I'm almost positive she does it when I'm not around or when I'm not looking

This is only part of the information asked for. Putting it in the form in blue so you can see all you missed and need to fill in
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled little longer than my index finger head to end of tail
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? eating dusted crickets (without D3) hasn’t accepted any other food yet
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? all screen 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 75 w heating lamp & 5.0 uvb bar light
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 87 basking going down to 73 at the bottom
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 67
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? TN

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom