My female Jackson PREGNANT?

alexsyf

I bought a female jackson for my male jackson yesterday, I try to put them together so that they can bred, but when the male try to get closer to the female, she bite him and turn the color into dark. She have a big tripe. I guess she might pregnant before I bought her home.

here is some image for them.

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

I think you should assume that and keep them apart.

You should probably get ready for little ones, just in case.

Here's a comprehensive article about Jacksons. You might want to scroll down to the breeding part first. http://chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

Here's a thread by someone who got a pleasant Jackson baby surprise: https://www.chameleonforums.com/help-my-jackson-chameleon-just-gave-birth-55359/

Thank you for your reply so much!!! This is my first Thread~!! Thank you again~!!!

You're welcome. Welcome to the forums. You'll find a wealth of information here. Given that you might be expecting babies, I really wanted to point you to the Breeding forum. You will want to look at the set ups there for babies and be ready.

One thing I know: you need to be watching carefully. If she does start to give birth, you'll need be ready to either remove the mother to a different location or remove the babies because she isn't going to recognize them as "her babies" and she's going to be hungry after all that activity.

Your Chameleons rock! If she is pregnant then it is recent, was she kept with males in the pet shop or her previous home? She looks a bit old to have come straight from the shop/store. You don't look like you have enough room for both Chams in that viv, have you got another which is good enough for her?

I think she does look a bit chubby, though Jacksons can be chubby. But, she's chubby.

Even though Jacksons are "live birth" animals, they do, in fact, sometimes do "infertile" births. By that I mean they drop unused egg yolks around the cage. So, she does not need to have been with a male to be "gravid" and she needs to be given the space any MOM would be given to get those yolks out of her system.

I think she does look a bit chubby, though Jacksons can be chubby. But, she's chubby.

Even though Jacksons are "live birth" animals, they do, in fact, sometimes do "infertile" births. By that I mean they drop unused egg yolks around the cage. So, she does not need to have been with a male to be "gravid" and she needs to be given the space any MOM would be given to get those yolks out of her system.
Right, I was just curious if they were likely to be fertile. IF she's gravid of course...

If she's wild caught, then I would assume they are fertile until proven wrong. Shipping conditions can result in pregnant chameleons on the market.

Hey~~ everything is going well~~ I seperate them into two cages, but she is not eating at all...:(
If she seems otherwise ok then this also suggests she is gravid. Try varieties of food, and she'll hopefully not be able to resist something. Good luck for babies!

I found this for you....

After a successful mating, the female will increase her food intake and she will fatten up over the gestation period. Gestation usually lasts from five to nine months. Jackson's chameleons are ovoviviparous, meaning they give live birth to babies that are contained in a thin membrane. The female Jackson's chameleon will usually give birth to 8-30 babies per clutch. Due to the longer gestation, a female may only have one clutch per year, but if the incubation is shorter, ie. 5 months, she may be able to give birth to two clutches in a single year. C.j.xantholophus can reach sexual maturity at around 6 months of age, but it is often recommended to wait until they are about a year old before mating.

Got it from this link... http://www.chameleoncrazy.com/speciesprofiles/xantholophus.php

I read a blog on here about giving a pinkie mouse when a Veiled was gravid. Might be worth a go for the fat, protein and calcium boost needed if you can get her to take one. Won't hurt if she wants one anyway, and it would really mean there's no need to be concerned about food intake if it goes well.......good luck for the babies......I want one.......lol

Ive heard sooo many different opinions on the pinki mouse ordeal =[[ its hard to say....

Several people say that it is just too much Protein can cause the Chameleon Gout.

Others say...it provides plenty of nutrients....

Ive heard sooo many different opinions on the pinki mouse ordeal =[[ its hard to say....

Several people say that it is just too much Protein can cause the Chameleon Gout.

Others say...it provides plenty of nutrients....
Have you ever tried it? What kind of Chams do you have? I know what you mean, they are defo not a staple food, but one mouse can't cause gout, so I guess I'm still going to give it a go myself and then decide which side I'm on...:cool:

Nah I never tried it because some people disagreed with it and I didn't want to end up giving my Cham the gout if it really does XD

I do think like you said it would take Several...

I have two Veiled Chameleons.. one Female..one Male. Both around a year.

Back
Top Bottom