My chameleon isn’t eating..

iguac

Hi so my guacamole is about 6months old and it’s been about 3 days he hasn’t eaten he looks good very active sleep schedule is great but I’m worried something is wrong I’d just like some advice on what to look for if he’s getting sick before this he would eat super worms and crickets just fine no issues at all and he did eat a pretty decent size horn worm 2 days ago please let me know thank you

Fill out this form and post some pictures from lights down so we can help you out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Fill out this form and post some pictures from lights down so we can help you out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

chameleon info
1. Species: veiled chameleon male about 5-6 months old we’ve had it for 4 months
2.handling: we don’t handle him too much he doesn’t like being held but we try about once a week
3.feeding: he eats on the afternoon mostly crickets about 10 of them the crickets are gut lodes with cricket feed and quencher. He doesn’t like super worms too much and loves horn worms
4.supplemets: I use zoo med products and he eats usually in the afternoons around 2-3 whne i get home
5.watering: I have a exoterra mister I mist about 3 times a day we see him drink once in a while he’s very shy so he hides a lot
6.Fecal: usually comes out grayish color and he poops consistently no issues at all and no hasn’t been tested for parasites

Cage
1.cage type: screen cage 16” deep 16” wide 27” tall.
2. Lighting: zoo med 75 w heat lamp sitting about 8 inches over basking spot temps reach close to 100 degrees and a zoo med tube lamp 15 inches wide in the middle of the cage with another spot for him to hang out about 6 inches away from that lamp usually lights come on at bout 8am and off at about 8:30 pm
3. Temps: basking spot at about 95-100 degrees and rest of the enclosure 75-80 degrees Over night temps drop to 65 degrees I have a couple digital thermometers in it
4. Humidity: I spray 3 times a day which usually keeps the humidity over 60 as much as possible
5.placement: enclosure is in the dinning room top of cage is problably 4 ft off the ground
6.plants: I have 2 real plants in that create great coverage I have a money tree and a golden pothos plants
7.location : I’m in Connecticut the north eaterns region of the US

Current problem : he hasn’t eaten in 3 days last thing he ate was a decent size horn worm but he doesn’t want to eat super worms or crickets I thought maybe the horn worm was big enough for him not to have to eat for a couple days but we are on day 4 now and I just want to know what to look out for if something is wrong

chameleon info
1. Species: veiled chameleon male about 5-6 months old we’ve had it for 4 months
2.handling: we don’t handle him too much he doesn’t like being held but we try about once a week
3.feeding: he eats on the afternoon mostly crickets about 10 of them the crickets are gut lodes with cricket feed and quencher. He doesn’t like super worms too much and loves horn worms you should ideally gutload the cricket's with carrots and potatoes
4.supplemets: I use zoo med products and he eats usually in the afternoons around 2-3 whne i get home
5.watering: I have a exoterra mister I mist about 3 times a day we see him drink once in a while he’s very shy so he hides a lot
6.Fecal: usually comes out grayish color and he poops consistently no issues at all and no hasn’t been tested for parasites

Cage
1.cage type: screen cage 16” deep 16” wide 27” tall. you will need to upgrade to a 2x2x4
2. Lighting: zoo med 75 w heat lamp sitting about 8 inches over basking spot temps reach close to 100 degrees and a zoo med tube lamp 15 inches wide in the middle of the cage with another spot for him to hang out about 6 inches away from that lamp usually lights come on at bout 8am and off at about 8:30 pm What uvb are you using you should have a t5 ho uvb fixture. Here's a link to the uvb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/uvb-bulbs-florescent-mercury-vapor.html

3. Temps: basking spot at about 95-100 degrees and rest of the enclosure 75-80 degrees Over night temps drop to 65 degrees I have a couple digital thermometers in it This is to hot you need to lower it to around 85 degrees
4. Humidity: I spray 3 times a day which usually keeps the humidity over 60 as much as possible that is to high it should be around 50
5.placement: enclosure is in the dinning room top of cage is problably 4 ft off the ground
6.plants: I have 2 real plants in that create great coverage I have a money tree and a golden pothos plants
7.location : I’m in Connecticut the north eaterns region of the US

Current problem : he hasn’t eaten in 3 days last thing he ate was a decent size horn worm but he doesn’t want to eat super worms or crickets I thought maybe the horn worm was big enough for him not to have to eat for a couple days but we are on day 4 now and I just want to know what to look out for if something is wrong

Hi there. I’d like to add on to your husbandry review.
What specific types of supplements are you using? Calcium with or without D3, any multivitamin?
It’s best to feed early in the day so that they have ample time to bask and digest. Crickets, hornworms and supers are ok, but you could add a little more variety. Also, they need to be well gutloaded. The cricket cubes are a mistake we’ve all made, lol. Attaching feeder and gutload sheets for you.
I always think it’s a good idea to take all animals for a veterinary wellness check and have a fecal done for parasites.
Stressing what @Floofy said about temps and uvb, because it’s very important. Temps are way too hot! The max would be 85*. Lower 80’s is just fine for a male. At night veileds can handle temps as low as the 50’s and some temp drop is preferred.
You do need that T5 with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of the enclosure.
Ideal humidity is between 30-50% during the day. At night when it’s cooler, it can spike up to 100%.
Chameleons like height and being able to be higher than us makes them feel safer.
Only real plants...get rid of any fake ones you may have. Veileds will nibble their plants. Pothos is perfect!
Can you post some pics of your cham and his whole enclosure...lights to floor?

068881E9-241E-4184-93C0-336E0E0D6CB0.jpeg
498268E9-A837-4E66-BFCE-82CAF6A5CFAD.jpeg

What specific types of supplements are you using? Calcium with or without D3, any multivitamin?
It’s best to feed early in the day so that they have ample time to bask and digest. Crickets, hornworms and supers are ok, but you could add a little more variety. Also, they need to be well gutloaded. The cricket cubes are a mistake we’ve all made, lol. Attaching feeder and gutload sheets for you.
I always think it’s a good idea to take all animals for a veterinary wellness check and have a fecal done for parasites.
Stressing what @Floofy said about temps and uvb, because it’s very important. Temps are way too hot! The max would be 85*. Lower 80’s is just fine for a male. At night veileds can handle temps as low as the 50’s and some temp drop is preferred.
You do need that T5 with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of the enclosure.
Ideal humidity is between 30-50% during the day. At night when it’s cooler, it can spike up to 100%.
Chameleons like height and being able to be higher than us makes them feel safer.
Only real plants...get rid of any fake ones you may have. Veileds will nibble their plants. Pothos is perfect!

View attachment 277202View attachment 277203
yes plz post picks

View attachment 277202View attachment 277203

I will for sure make the change for the crickets the temps at the basking spot are actualyy at 80 degrees I out the thermometer the whole day in the spot and it stayed at 80 the uvb I use is the t5 and I will adjust for humidity I put crickets in at around noon today and he hasn’t eaten any it’s now 5:30 over here and I will be malunh a vet Visit

I will for sure make the change for the crickets the temps at the basking spot are actualyy at 80 degrees I out the thermometer the whole day in the spot and it stayed at 80 the uvb I use is the t5 and I will adjust for humidity I put crickets in at around noon today and he hasn’t eaten any it’s now 5:30 over here and I will be malunh a vet Visit
Can you please post a pic of your entire enclosure lights down so we can see how it is set up. Have you only had it for 3 days or is that how long it has gone without food?

I’ve had it for 4 months now it’s been 4 days wiht out eating now

Attachments

• E72AC3F4-683C-48A3-89FF-B142AE4079D1.jpeg
    E72AC3F4-683C-48A3-89FF-B142AE4079D1.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 9E73CF07-DB1A-4EFC-A4EF-82725F8E441C.jpeg
    9E73CF07-DB1A-4EFC-A4EF-82725F8E441C.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2C4E237D-8848-481C-8393-29B630C19076.jpeg
    2C4E237D-8848-481C-8393-29B630C19076.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 745DF541-4004-4A52-BC43-636B2652444D.jpeg
    745DF541-4004-4A52-BC43-636B2652444D.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 2E013ADE-ABA5-48EF-86ED-05AEB4648237.jpeg
    2E013ADE-ABA5-48EF-86ED-05AEB4648237.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1A73A5F0-BAE2-4DB6-AE96-88E02316CB2A.jpeg
    1A73A5F0-BAE2-4DB6-AE96-88E02316CB2A.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 64
A few things
  • way to small, need to upgrade sooner then later
  • Veiled are big plant eaters, so i don’t recommend fake plant
  • Remove the mossy vine , it can hold bacteria overtime by getting wet
  • Add more vertical branches
  • Live plants are very good- Golden pothos is easy to keep alive and creates vines
  • You can also rise the temperature of his basking

Has he been eating the fake plants or chewing the moss off the vines? Can he access the dirt in the real plant to pull it out?
How big was the horn that you fed him and did you hand feed this or did he pull it from the branch?

Has he been eating the fake plants or chewing the moss off the vines? Can he access the dirt in the real plant to pull it out?
How big was the horn that you fed him and did you hand feed this or did he pull it from the branch?
I saw him eat it a few times but he’s pooped just fine he’s never been bound up the horn worm was probably like inch and a half really fat tho and he can’t really pull the dirt out of the plants the pothos has many vines coming out of the dirt

Back
Top Bottom