my chameleon is very very sick

Hectic.

If at any point someone has to put a little one down please no bricks or freezers.

Use vinegar and bicarbonate of soda to create carbon dioxide, enough to fill a small container. Either pipe it in or put it in a smaller container inside the container. Its denser than air so will sit at the bottom but a lid would be better.

Unless the animal is in an enormous amount of pain this really should be your last option, as this case clearly shows.

great advise people.... good thing he waited it out.... out of all the threads ive read, this has shocked me the most... shock would be best explained and some time to re vamp is what is needed! IF your animal shows signs of pain, sure take em to the vet but crushing him, freezing him or using a gas chamber seems to be a pretty poor way to handle things...

just my opinion!

it sounds like he had a traumatic head injury like a concussion. The head twitch and the falling sounds like his brain got knocked around from the fall. I don't know much about steriod use in reptiles, I can ask my vet later today who is an extremely good reptile vet, but it sounds like a course of dexamethasone would help him out because it will decrease the swelling in his brain if he has a concussion

This has long been said about chameleons...
"Frye states that pure carbon dioxide as a method of euthanizing reptiles is not acceptable as, while it induces a state of narcosis, the ability of many reptiles to endure prolonged anoxia (absence of oxygen) precludes death."...
http://www.anapsid.org/decap.html

I am very new to chameleons but I would say this animal sounds like it is suffering terribly. I drive over an hour to get food for my reptiles bring it to the vets.

Back
Top Bottom