my chameleon is sleeping a lot and during the day

kristengilio

hello I got my cham a little over a week ago, i’m learning new things everyday about him and how to take care of him. yesterday morning he was sleeping when I left for work, my little sister misted him when she got home from school and he was sleeping, and then when I got home around 9pm he was sleeping then too. I woke up this morning and he was still asleep that’s when I started to worry. it seems like he either wants to sleep or close his eyes. I misted him and he moved and woke up but seemed like he just wanted to close his eyes. i’ve been misting him about twice a day but i think it was really only once yesterday. I just ordered a dripper from amazon so i’ve read this could all be due to hydration, or maybe too much UV which I didn’t know was a thing. I usually have on the white bulb and the red bulb and turn them off at night. his eyes don’t look bad or cloudy or anything, again just look tired. I don’t know his age but he’s pretty young

Pictures of everything. Sleeping during the day means stress or sickness, please fill out the help form to your best ability and detail.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

hello I got my cham a little over a week ago, i’m learning new things everyday about him and how to take care of him. yesterday morning he was sleeping when I left for work, my little sister misted him when she got home from school and he was sleeping, and then when I got home around 9pm he was sleeping then too. I woke up this morning and he was still asleep that’s when I started to worry. it seems like he either wants to sleep or close his eyes. I misted him and he moved and woke up but seemed like he just wanted to close his eyes. i’ve been misting him about twice a day but i think it was really only once yesterday. I just ordered a dripper from amazon so i’ve read this could all be due to hydration, or maybe too much UV which I didn’t know was a thing. I usually have on the white bulb and the red bulb and turn them off at night. his eyes don’t look bad or cloudy or anything, again just look tired. I don’t know his age but he’s pretty young
Hi there and welcome. Red light should not be used... Please turn it off and get rid of it ASAP. Is the white bulb a coil bulb or like a household bulb in shape?

Please take pics and fill out the help form posted above. You will want to be extremely detailed in your answers to the questions. Sleeping for prolonged periods is not good.

thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it. I thought I posted pics but they didn’t load. I will answer all of those in a moment i’m at work right now but def will. it’s a coil bulb. I read that this morning and turned off the red bulb when I left and only left the white one

Sleeping during the day is a warning sign, and I think your first move here is to book him for a vet visit ASAP. Even in the unlikely event that this passes, an initial vet visit is always a good idea

thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it. I thought I posted pics but they didn’t load. I will answer all of those in a moment i’m at work right now but def will. it’s a coil bulb. I read that this morning and turned off the red bulb when I left and only left the white one
Ok so you will click attach files... Select the ones you want to share. Then click "Full image" above them where it says "insert all"

Back
Top Bottom