My Chameleon is acting weird

Hello! i need help, it is my first time posting because i usually read someones previous experience and it helps... but this time i haven't found a similar case.

This is Albahaca (picture 1), she has been with me since march but i got her when she was about 3 months old, basically now she is 8 months old and she has gotten big. Lately she has been acting pretty weird and im not so sure why! i have no previous experience with chameleons and sometimes i don't understand their behavior.
She is always nervous and has reflected different colors that I haven't see before (picture 2), she is not eating well sometimes nothing, she poops weird and she is always in front of the door trying to get out, digging the soil or scratching her ceiling (one of her nails fell off). im worried something could happen to her or she might not like me at all or she might not suit with the change of cage.
My first guess is that she needs a bigger cage (its on its way) , but i read in different sources that her size is still good for her cage (picture 3)... im not sure at all, can someone help me with this situation? does someone know what could it be? how can i make her comfortable?

If it is the cage im looking for any advice on how can i treat her until her new cage arrive, with the contingency it will be here until the end of the month if im lucky

picture 1.jpg picture 1
picture 2.jpg picture 2
picture 3.jpg picture 3

Ok there needs to be some changes with her cage. Firstly she needs live plants because plastic ones are no good and they can eat them and get impacted. Also she needs more sticks and vines to climb on instead of the net. get rid of the net because her claws can get caught in the fibres. Even if its like a metal chicken wire net still get rid of it they are not made for chameleons! Also as you suspected she needs a bigger one. please fill out the husbandry form below so we can help.

I think she could be receptive and ready to lay eggs. Are you aware of this and have a lay bin?

Please fill out this form, copy and paste it.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Ok there needs to be some changes with her cage. Firstly she needs live plants because plastic ones are no good and they can eat them and get impacted. Also she needs more sticks and vines to climb on instead of the net. get rid of the net because her claws can get caught in the fibres. Even if its like a metal chicken wire net still get rid of it they are not made for chameleons! Also as you suspected she needs a bigger one. please fill out the husbandry form below so we can help.

I think she could be receptive and ready to lay eggs. Are you aware of this and have a lay bin?

Please fill out this form, copy and paste it.

Thank you so much for your reply! i will definitely make those changes, i am going to buy her new plants and sticks and her cage will arribe at the end of the month

replying to your question
i haven't consider the lay bin, but if she needs it ill get it... She has no contact with any male chameleon, is she going to be laying eggs anyway?

Hi there... Much bigger cage is needed... But she looks hefty as well. I am betting she is getting close to laying her eggs. They lay infertile eggs like chickens do.

While your enclosure is not set up properly she may or may not decide to lay in that one...
For glass they need to be set up with full bio active bottom. See this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Then there is attaching stuff correctly to build out a glass enclosure.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-bioactive-enclosure-build-panther-chameleon.168403/page-2
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-bioactive-enclosure-build-pt-2.170170/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/the-final-stretch-bioactive-build-pt-3.171251/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/kismets-bioactive-build-progression.172832/

Per her laying. Here is info on that as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

This husbandry program will give you in depth correct information. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
And your species specific info. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Albahaca is a Female Velo veiled chameleon, she is around 8 months old and she has been with be 5.5 months now.
i try once a week minimum
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
She eats crickets, about 6 a day, sometimes i give her meal worms varied with crickets. she eats it from a feeder
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
i sprinkle her food with(repti calcium) calcium 5 times a week and (rep-cal) vitamin D3 with calcium 2 times a week
View attachment 274951
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
i manually spray the water, about 2 to 3 times a day, i make sure the hygrometer is in the green spot. i have never seen my chameleon drinking, but i know she drinks when she poops (white)
View attachment 274952
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
She has never been tasted, sometimes she poops normally, recently she does less and last time she pooped, you could see the cricket shape.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
She has never been too friendly, sometimes she likes been with me but usually she prefers her space. she stresses a lot.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
It is a glass cage with the top of the cake screen (her new cage will be only screen) dimensions 18" x 18" x 24" or 45 x 45 x 60 cm
View attachment 274950
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
It is a doubled bulb exo terra lighting, the light goes on automatically at 8 am and off at 8 pm, i change the schedule depending on the time of year so it goes on when there is light.
View attachment 274955View attachment 274954View attachment 274953
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
i have change the thermometer twice, i thought it did not work because it never changes the temperature

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I alway see the hygrometer, i try to maintain it in the green spot

i don't, i need to get some, i don't know which.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
the cage is located in a loft, near a stair but ther is not much traffic, it is in a high area, in a desk
d84b0383-80da-4bad-bf37-0553c82f7497.jpg

• Location - Where are you geographically located?
The north of México.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Acting weird...

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you so much!!!!
ill get her a laying bin

Hi there... Much bigger cage is needed... But she looks hefty as well. I am betting she is getting close to laying her eggs. They lay infertile eggs like chickens do.

While your enclosure is not set up properly she may or may not decide to lay in that one...
For glass they need to be set up with full bio active bottom. See this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Then there is attaching stuff correctly to build out a glass enclosure.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-bioactive-enclosure-build-panther-chameleon.168403/page-2
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-bioactive-enclosure-build-pt-2.170170/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/the-final-stretch-bioactive-build-pt-3.171251/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/kismets-bioactive-build-progression.172832/

Per her laying. Here is info on that as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

This husbandry program will give you in depth correct information. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
And your species specific info. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

See my feedback in red bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

Albahaca is a Female Velo veiled chameleon, she is around 8 months old and she has been with be 5.5 months now.

She eats crickets, about 6 a day, sometimes i give her meal worms varied with crickets. she eats it from a feeder. So you want to reduce this because you have a female. And no mealworms at all. At this age you want to be giving 3-4 well gutloaded feeders every other day. Reducing down further at 10 months old to 3-4 feeders 3 days a week. The amount of food they get and the temps they are kept at directly impact how many eggs they lay. So we reduce both feeders and temps to help control a clutch size as large clutches take a lot out of them.

i sprinkle her food with(repti calcium) calcium 5 times a week and (rep-cal) vitamin D3 with calcium 2 times a week
View attachment 274951 For this you want to reduce the calcium with D3 to 2 times a month so she is not getting too much. She also needs a multivitamin. You can buy Reptivite WITH D3 and only give this 2 times a month. Then not using the reptical with D3. So it would be the 1st and 15th with the reptivite with D3 then at every other feeding you want to use the calcium WITHOUT D3.

i manually spray the water, about 2 to 3 times a day, i make sure the hygrometer is in the green spot. i have never seen my chameleon drinking, but i know she drinks when she poops (white)
View attachment 274952 analog gauges are not very accurate. I would suggest getting a digital with probe. Veileds should have a daytime humidity level of 30-50% max.

She has never been tasted, sometimes she poops normally, recently she does less and last time she pooped, you could see the cricket shape.

She has never been too friendly, sometimes she likes been with me but usually she prefers her space. she stresses a lot.

Cage Info:

It is a glass cage with the top of the cake screen (her new cage will be only screen) dimensions 18" x 18" x 24" or 45 x 45 x 60 cm
View attachment 274950 As stated this is much too small for her. If you stay with a glass cage it will need to be setup bio active and correctly and you would need the Large/extra tall that is 36x18x36. If you go with Screen I would do a 2x2x4 so you can accommodate a lay bin in the bottom.

It is a doubled bulb exo terra lighting, the light goes on automatically at 8 am and off at 8 pm, i change the schedule depending on the time of year so it goes on when there is light.
View attachment 274955View attachment 274954View attachment 274953 Based on the look of your fixture I am guessing this is the compact UVB coil bulbs that screw in. If so this needs to be changed out asap to a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb and basking branch would need to be 9 inches below for the correct UVI level. The fixture needs to run the width of the cage. This is very important as they will develop MBD under compact UVB bulbs.

i have change the thermometer twice, i thought it did not work because it never changes the temperature Knowing temps is really important because females should not be hotter then 79-80 max. Hotter temps plays into their egg production. Get a wired gauge with probe to tie in at basking level (highest branch in cage below heat light)

i don't, i need to get some, i don't know which. See this link and go with the Veiled tested plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

the cage is located in a loft, near a stair but ther is not much traffic, it is in a high area, in a desk

I highly recommend to new keepers to go through the husbandry program at this link. It is very thorough and provides complete information. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Let us know what additional questions you have. :)

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 109
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 141
See my feedback in red bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

She eats crickets, about 6 a day, sometimes i give her meal worms varied with crickets. she eats it from a feeder. So you want to reduce this because you have a female. And no mealworms at all. At this age you want to be giving 3-4 well gutloaded feeders every other day. Reducing down further at 10 months old to 3-4 feeders 3 days a week. The amount of food they get and the temps they are kept at directly impact how many eggs they lay. So we reduce both feeders and temps to help control a clutch size as large clutches take a lot out of them.

View attachment 274951 For this you want to reduce the calcium with D3 to 2 times a month so she is not getting too much. She also needs a multivitamin. You can buy Reptivite WITH D3 and only give this 2 times a month. Then not using the reptical with D3. So it would be the 1st and 15th with the reptivite with D3 then at every other feeding you want to use the calcium WITHOUT D3.

View attachment 274952 analog gauges are not very accurate. I would suggest getting a digital with probe. Veileds should have a daytime humidity level of 30-50% max.

Cage Info:

View attachment 274950 As stated this is much too small for her. If you stay with a glass cage it will need to be setup bio active and correctly and you would need the Large/extra tall that is 36x18x36. If you go with Screen I would do a 2x2x4 so you can accommodate a lay bin in the bottom.

View attachment 274955View attachment 274954View attachment 274953 Based on the look of your fixture I am guessing this is the compact UVB coil bulbs that screw in. If so this needs to be changed out asap to a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb and basking branch would need to be 9 inches below for the correct UVI level. The fixture needs to run the width of the cage. This is very important as they will develop MBD under compact UVB bulbs.

i have change the thermometer twice, i thought it did not work because it never changes the temperature Knowing temps is really important because females should not be hotter then 79-80 max. Hotter temps plays into their egg production. Get a wired gauge with probe to tie in at basking level (highest branch in cage below heat light)

i don't, i need to get some, i don't know which. See this link and go with the Veiled tested plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

I highly recommend to new keepers to go through the husbandry program at this link. It is very thorough and provides complete information. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Let us know what additional questions you have. :)

Thank you soooo much! for your effort and your time.
ill go step by step and fix it. if i have more questions ill let you know so she can have a good life :)

Side note she's hella pretty! And yus if you follow what the others have stated she will have a long and healthy life with you! Definitely hop on getting a laying bin made though, you don't want her holding eggs to long and they need the bin to bury their eggs. And just be sure once it looks like she's digging around to give her as much privacy as possible.

Side note she's hella pretty! And yus if you follow what the others have stated she will have a long and healthy life with you! Definitely hop on getting a laying bin made though, you don't want her holding eggs to long and they need the bin to bury their eggs. And just be sure once it looks like she's digging around to give her as much privacy as possible.

Thanks!!!! ?

Back
Top Bottom