My Chameleon doesn’t like water?

KatotheChameleon

Established Member
Does anyone else have a chameleon who hates water? Like running and dripping? 😂 The reason I say hate is because he runs away from the water in his terrarium and will not go anywhere towards it!
I have a mister in his enclosure, a dripper and I fog every night. I run the mister every morning and evening before and after the lights, I have the fogger running all night, and the dripper runs all day. The dropped hits the multiple leaves and I can see it dripping and accumulating on them. The thing is - I put the fogger on during the day for my tortoise and water will be spurting and running in the tubs. I was sitting enjoying the day and I see him going to the side of the cage, almost like he wants the water in the enclosure next to him? 😂 then he goes to the dripper and as it’s dripping, he’s staring at it but I don’t think he wants to be hit by the water. Then I decided to spray just to see if he was thirsty and he didn’t drink anything. I’m not sure if this is just a sign of a very curious chameleon or one who doesn’t know how to drink water lol. Someone please tell me he’s not the only one!
Side note - I have been feeding him Hornworms every couple of days because I noticed he will drink sometimes, and I don’t want him to get dehydrated. Tbh, I don’t know how much water chameleons actually have to drink, so just being on the safe side.

I have also learned he hates my camera so excuse his puffy self 😅

**NOTE - I know about the vines, the new ones are coming tomorrow and it will be replaced. Don’t come at me for them please 🥲

Update - I think it might just be he doesn’t like the fogger. I was sitting in front of the tortoise feeding him and look up and see Kato flashing his fighting colors at the fogger 😂 it seems he may not like the water or noise? It’s on all night like I said but I guess it doesn’t bother him at night! Photo added lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 151
  • A4546C06-DB42-4973-B4AD-E8827A2DE538.jpeg
    A4546C06-DB42-4973-B4AD-E8827A2DE538.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I don’t know how to edit the post anymore but my guy just started shooting his tongue out to get water. 😳 anyone else have a chameleon that does this?

It's normal for them to shoot their tongue at water and it's common to not see them drink. Best thing you can do is continue what you're doing and monitor their urates. As long as their urates look good, then you're doing a good job.

Does the fogger during the day for the tortoise affect your chams humidity levels and is the output tube for the tortoise the one on top edge of the cham cage? His behavior sounds normal. Just remember hornworms are fatty, so only feed them as treats or when his urates are dehydrated

It's normal for them to shoot their tongue at water and it's common to not see them drink. Best thing you can do is continue what you're doing and monitor their urates. As long as their urates look good, then you're doing a good job.

He drank in front of me before so that’s why I thought his behavior was a little odd, especially since he is using his tongue now! I almost feel like he was playing with the water at one point as it would drop and he would watch it and strike! His personality is really starting to shine the longer we have him. 🥰

His poops are good! It was white with very little yellowing on the top of it. No sunken eyes and he is very active today! I think he’s really starting to get more confident, and get more curious about his tortoise neighbor 😂 thank you for the videos!!

Does the fogger during the day for the tortoise affect your chams humidity levels and is the output tube for the tortoise the one on top edge of the cham cage? His behavior sounds normal. Just remember hornworms are fatty, so only feed them as treats or when his urates are dehydrated
No it doesn’t 🙂 the tube goes directly into the tortoise enclosure and it is closed on all sides except for the top. He is a Red-Foot who needs humidity levels of 70-80% and the fogger helps to keep the humidity level high without making his terrarium a muddy mess! I work in the room they are in, and I try to make the areas outside the terrarium as not humid as possible 😂

I also want to add I watched your first video and that is the way I learned how to water my chameleon! 🙂 I implemented the schedule and made the dropped to match yours! I was just posting because I was curious to know if anyone else’s chameleon was just hydrophobic 🤣

Does anyone else have a chameleon who hates water? Like running and dripping? 😂 The reason I say hate is because he runs away from the water in his terrarium and will not go anywhere towards it!
I have a mister in his enclosure, a dripper and I fog every night. I run the mister every morning and evening before and after the lights, I have the fogger running all night, and the dripper runs all day. The dropped hits the multiple leaves and I can see it dripping and accumulating on them. The thing is - I put the fogger on during the day for my tortoise and water will be spurting and running in the tubs. I was sitting enjoying the day and I see him going to the side of the cage, almost like he wants the water in the enclosure next to him? 😂 then he goes to the dripper and as it’s dripping, he’s staring at it but I don’t think he wants to be hit by the water. Then I decided to spray just to see if he was thirsty and he didn’t drink anything. I’m not sure if this is just a sign of a very curious chameleon or one who doesn’t know how to drink water lol. Someone please tell me he’s not the only one!
Side note - I have been feeding him Hornworms every couple of days because I noticed he will drink sometimes, and I don’t want him to get dehydrated. Tbh, I don’t know how much water chameleons actually have to drink, so just being on the safe side.

I have also learned he hates my camera so excuse his puffy self 😅

**NOTE - I know about the vines, the new ones are coming tomorrow and it will be replaced. Don’t come at me for them please 🥲

Update - I think it might just be he doesn’t like the fogger. I was sitting in front of the tortoise feeding him and look up and see Kato flashing his fighting colors at the fogger 😂 it seems he may not like the water or noise? It’s on all night like I said but I guess it doesn’t bother him at night! Photo added lol
He sounds like a real character! Mine hates mister. Would hide all day after mistinh cage but loves the fogger. He opens wide and draws in deep while twisting his body. Urates were still too crystslized so i thaught him to drink drops from a cotton ball while he is sitting on my chest. I usually get more water on.me then in him but at least i know from the urates its working. I also supplememt with hornworms treats too. :). I like your setup. What kind of tort?

He sounds like a real character! Mine hates mister. Would hide all day after mistinh cage but loves the fogger. He opens wide and draws in deep while twisting his body. Urates were still too crystslized so i thaught him to drink drops from a cotton ball while he is sitting on my chest. I usually get more water on.me then in him but at least i know from the urates its working. I also supplememt with hornworms treats too. :). I like your setup. What kind of tort?
Thank you!! He’s a red foot tortoise! He’s a sweet guy, and the chameleons don’t seem to bothered by him lol

Kato now seems to be less scared of water as he gets older, and enjoys the mistings! Maybe he was just a young nervous guy lol

Back
Top Bottom