My Cham Has Problems

Krank

My Veiled Cham (krank) is about a couple months old and a month or so ago Hurricane Gustav hit so we left to Houston when we got there i noticed his left eye was closed but the right one was open. We got back home he still had it shut. Then Hurricane Ike hit we went to Houston again to my Moms friends house who has 2 cats 3 dogs(2 are outside) they would bark sometimes. Then one day I went to touch him and hes not used to me, and he just sat there staring at me. So when we got home hes been sleeping ALOT and both of his eyes continue to close and the other opened. And im wondering if all this is stress related or is there something wrong with him in a way that could be harmful?

Please respond!!

-Krank

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - All screen. Lighting-5.5" UVB,Flukers, Lights on at 8am off at 8pm

Temperature - 75 to 85 dgrs, lowest night temp around 75 A reptile Thermometer.

Humidity - Dont know humidity levels. Misting from morning, then around after noon twice, once before bed.

Plants - Not using live plants (Zilla vines and leaves)

Location - The cage is located near a window the top is about 3 or 4 feet high

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled,Male,6 months. Had him for 2 months.

Handling - Not alot i stopped when i saw a change in his action. Maybe two, three times every 2 weeks.

Feeding - Crickets, 3 in the morning 2 about 5pm. Every other day

Supplements -Reptical every other day as to following his eating time.

Watering -Spray bottle once in morning once in afternoon again at around 5pm then at 8pm, for about 30 seconds. Yes, ive seen him drink many times from the top of the cage and the leaves.

Fecal Description - Normal poop brown with white. I dont know if he has had test.

History - Got him from a local pet store. He acted ok for a couple of weeks until we had a hurricane evac. and when I got to my destination his left eyes was close and the right opened. Then a week later another hurricane hit then I went to a friends house who had 2 cats, 3 dogs (2 are outside) now he sleeps ALOT and still continues to keep one eye open one eye closed.

Current Problem - Hes been sleeping alot and keeps closing one eye and opening the other.

THANKS ALOT!!!

-Krank

more info on your uvb light not familiar with a 5.5" is that a compact? if it is thats a big problem for eyes.
also suplements maybe need more variety im not very familiar with each brand though.

It sounds like a not perfect enclosure combined with the stress of moving, changing environments, possible parasite infection (pet stores almost never treat their animals), and having the dogs around have compromised your chams immune system. You should take him to the vet asap.

Well it all started when we left from the first hurricane.The light just said uvb and its what the guy gave me. And they guy i bought it from had 20 years with chameleons and has like 20 veileds and are in good condition the thing is that the store is about 60 miles away so yea.

The dogs where far away like wayyy across the house but could the barking still of been a threat?

It is hard for us to know without seeing your cham personally. Please take him to an experienced reptile vet as soon as you can- they will be able to tell you the right answer.

sounds like you live in louisiana as well. If thats the case then their are reptile vets in baton rouge, north shore, and new orleans. if you dig around on the link the person before me posted you'll find them. I would put your chameleon outside and allow him to get as much sunlight as possible while you look for a vet.

na i live in beaumont texas and i looked all over the place and cant find a reptile vet. there vets here but the ones here they only care for like dogs and cats

Is the UVB light a long linear tube? Compact/spiral lights have been known to cause eye problems. If your chameleon's problem is not due to the light and it has an eye infection, then you need to take it to a vet to get it treated.

As for supplements....because many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos. its advised that the insects be dusted at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder.

I also dust with a vitamin powder twice a month that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Beta carotene won't build up in the system like the preformed will. Since there is controversy over whether chameleons can convert the beta carotene some people also give a little preformed once in a while. Excess preformed vitamin A can prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD...so be careful with it.

D3 is produced when the chameleon is exposed to UVB either from sunlight or a linear UVB light. (The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic.) If your chameleon is exposed to sunlight is won't likely need a D3 supplement...but if it only gets UVB from the tube light, I would dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder. D3 from supplements can build up in the system so don't overdo it.

Back
Top Bottom