My Cham has Impaction. your experiences?

SinisterPony

So i wont bother posting my enclosure set ups (you'll understand in a moment).

i KNOW my 8-month old Vemen has a serious impaction. two days ago i noticed he was not eating the crickets or veggies i provided for him and that he was looking particularly dull compared to his normal self, i started misting the tank more frequently for longer periods of time (sometimes a light direct spray on him) and hoped that would help him out. its been about 3.5 weeks since he shed last so i was also hoping it could be a loss of appetite from that as well.

Well today, since I've been monitoring him more closely, I came to a horrible discovery. Not only did i witness him eating dirt directly from the live plant that is in the enclosure BUT i also saw him make a very solid attempt at eating one of the fake leaves in the enclosure as well. Realizing this, I took them all out immediately (I provide him veggies regularly that he eats and had never seen this behavior before), upon taking out the fake plants i have determined he has eaten a total of FOUR fabric leaves + the dirt from the live plant pot. He also seems bloated now. As it is a holiday tomorrow i will not be able to take him into the vet until Tuesday.

Knowing the severity of the situation, I'm here to field ideas on how to proceed next. Going to the vet will confirm what I already know, severe impaction. My question to all of you here is: have any of you had an impaction surgery, is it even a thing (ive only seen egg bound & ankle surgery threads) and finally what is the average cost and chances of recovery post surgery?

i am a college student currently with not the most stable financial situation, it would be good to know if taking him to the vet would be something that will be both feasible, and have a positive outcome. or if it would just be better to make his last few days as pleasant as possible. i have no wish not to help him but if its going be 1000 dollars for a surgery that only has a slim chance of working I don't think i can, in good financial conscious, do that

Welcome to the forum. Too bad that this had to be the reason you made your first post.

Fake plants are such a danger to all but the VERY young chameleons sadly.

He may be eating th dirt to try to help himself...just my opinion. I'm not a vet so I can only speak from what I've learned or read, etc.

If you or the vet can't solve the problem the the kindest thing would be to have him put down following the proper rules for this.

thank you. i hadnt even considered euthanasia as an option but that would is probably the best course of action. ill make an appointment with the vet for Tuesday

I will post an update on Tuesday with what is going on with him after the vet. actually does anyone know how much a x-ray to confirm impaction will cost? I'm really not trying to be cheap, I'm just not super well off right now some heads up will be really helpful in planning my next week

If he's impacted from eating the leaves, I'm not sure what will clear it ...if anything...short of surgery. Maybe giving it something like baby food pears would help the leaves slide out..but be aware that I'm not a vet and I wouldn't want to make things worse.

I think ill have to think about it myself for tomorrow and schedule the vet visit for tuesday..... looking at the prices for egg bound surgery it would probably mean putting all my current savings into this little guy, ugh this sucks i wish i knew about fake plants before hand (the physical books and care guides i read all said they were viable. i never heard about the dangers of impaction from them until im looking it up, which is too late :( )

Shoulda joined this forum sooner

Last edited:
I hope your chameleon will make it until Tuesday.

im sure he will. unless he completely nose dives tomorrow. his bloating is gone right now and his color has returned a bit right now (hes sleeping).

hes actually, besides the color change, has not changed in attitude at all. he was exploring and doing his normal activities all of the past 2 days.

i really could be overreacting, i hope i am, but i just assume based of him biting the plant, the clear indication where leaves were, and his refusal to eat and poop all leading to the conclusion he ate the leaves
20200119_220459.jpg

I had a chameleon that I hatched returned to me at around a year old because he wouldn’t eat. I took him to my vet and the x-ray showed that he was impacted. I can’t remember if he gave him meds or not but he recovered and went to live with my friend and he’s still doing well. I would take him to a good reptile vet with chameleon experience and request an x-ray and maybe try a laxative and see if he improves.

All the best to you and your little man.

I had a chameleon that I hatched returned to me at around a year old because he wouldn’t eat. I took him to vet and the x-ray showed that he was impacted. I can’t remember if he gave him meds or not but he recovered and went to live with my friend and he’s still doing well. I would take him to a good reptile vet with chameleon experience and request an x-ray and maybe try a laxative and see if he improves.

All the best to you and your little man.
thats encouraging. do you recall what caused the impaction? i assume it was organic?

i really have little faith he will be able to pass the fabric leaves as that is so unnatural. i guess we will find out on tuesday
I have to agree with you...if it was just dirt it would be a better outlook. To me the dirt is more like constipation and able to be dissolved or broken down/softened and the leaves are more like a blockage that will be hard to move.

i really have little faith he will be able to pass the fabric leaves as that is so unnatural. i guess we will find out on tuesday

You would be surprised, I take it you dont have children?

Our Daughter ate the crazziest things, we were at the ER, or Urgent care at least 1/2 times a month, and everytime the doctors would say, she will pass it.We were new parents so we freaked about every little thing.

She ate Coins, Crayons, toys, whatever she could get a hold of next stop was in her mouth lol.

Thank Gosh our current toddler doesnt do that, he is more content breaking everything he can get his hands on. Which she never did.

One more thought...could a leaf get stuck in the stomach as well as the intestines/colon? I don't know how big the opening is from one thing go the next.

From all of the many veterinary experiences I’ve had with cats and dogs and both healthy and unhealthy finances, most vets will help guide you to the best/most humane option within your means.

Back
Top Bottom