My baby's tail fell off!

Sad update

I am so sad, she died Saturday. She became dehydrated Friday and was breathing heavy. I was able to hydrate her and she seemed a bit better. The next day, she had these "violent" breathing episodes. Her mouth was wide open, her tongue extended out and she was gasping for air violently. It was heartbreaking to watch her. She collapsed and died. The breeder either did not reply or told me it was all stress. It did not make sense to me, but the vet's office was not open Friday night. I remember seeing her breathe a bite heavy a few times with her mouth opened the first few days after she arrived. She also pooped at the same time, so I thought she was trying to poop by breathing heavy. Now, I think she had a respiratory infection and developed into pneumonia. She was so tiny, and everything happened so fast. She died at exactly one week after she arrived. I separated the other baby immediately when I noticed something was not right with her. I am keeping a close eye on him, so far he seems fine. I have several other panthers, I am so nervous. I have emailed the breeder to let her know what I thought the baby had, and asked her to send me a refund instead of a replacement 2 days ago. I have not heard from her. This has been a complete nightmare. I just feel terrible.

I'm very sorry to hear! The breeder doesn't really sound all tha involved in his/her babies once they've left, or possibly even while they are there! I would definately start a thread at the BOI on faunaclassifieds.com if everything doesn't go smoothly.

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss and it's terrible that you're having such a hard time with the seller.

I know it can be difficult but what you might want to do is get a necropsy done on the baby to see what health problems it had that lead to it's death. This could shed some light on what happened as well as give you enough information to go to the seller about the cause of death.

Oh, a necropsy may also give more proof to the breeder that it probably wasn't anything you did in the week you had her.

The tail problem should have been enough for the breeder. "SHE" (The breeder) seems to have problem and I hope "She" takes care of this ASAP.

You do not need more proof than a kinked tail when you got it. Sorry about you loss if you bought from a good breeder they will not have a problem making this right. If not out then on the BOI. I will respond there. :mad:

The tail problem should have been enough for the breeder. "SHE" (The breeder) seems to have problem and I hope "She" takes care of this ASAP.

You do not need more proof than a kinked tail when you got it. Sorry about you loss if you bought from a good breeder they will not have a problem making this right. If not out then on the BOI. I will respond there. :mad:
If a resolution can not be found (refund), a BOI post will be a good idea...

I'm sure a few people who browse the BOI will be there to let others know the chameleon was not in good shape..

The breeder should of never sent the baby with a damaged tail.
After receiving the first call about the tail she should have offered a refund or replacement.

Back
Top Bottom