My Axel is drinking water but not eating mealworms

Ragidi please do your best to post pictures of the set up and your Cham as it is. This is crucial to everyone on here being able to help you.

If there is something wrong/alarming about the setup, please tell me and I will fix it asap.
Here are some pics of the cage.
1.jpg

5.jpg

Here is a pic of Axel.

4.jpg

Here are the bulbs and fixtures I have.
2.jpg

3.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Again, if there is anything I'm doing wrong, please tell me and I will fix it asap.

The light for "calcium" needs to be replaced with a T5 HO linear bulb. That is the most important thing as it stands.

Find some branches outside and and created more chameleon high ways and levels. Add more plants. Either fake or real would work. Real is always prefered.

The heat lamp should be in the 65-75 watt range. It's very important that you get a thermometer and a hygrometer so that you can properly measure the temps and humidity.

Get a water dripper or make one yourself. This will greatly help in supplementing the water needs and intake between mistings.

Start with that and work your way perfect husbandry!

I'm attaching a few pictures of my set up to give you an idea of what you need.

Attachments

• IMG_20191130_190553.jpg
    IMG_20191130_190553.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20191130_190836.jpg
    IMG_20191130_190836.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20191130_141443.jpg
    IMG_20191130_141443.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 71
Thank you so much! Your husbandry looks amazing! I will do my absolute best to make mine a comfortable one for Axel.
Regarding the lamps, will a high wattage one cause damage to the screen? I worry about the screen melting/rusting/etc.
And regarding the branches: are there specific trees or plants whose bare branches could be dangerous or harmful to Axel?

Any tree that produces sap or that you know is toxic to humans (like the Gabon Ebony) are not ok. Driftwood found at the beach is ideal. Make sure you wash the branches in a light soapy solution and let them try in the sun for a a day or two - or the oven if you are so inclined.

Commercial cages don't rust as they are coated alloys, nor does stainless steel if you built a custom cage, so you don't have to worry about that. Metal conducts heat. Aluminum explodes when exposed to high heat. That's obviously dangerous all around. Your cage should be just fine so long as you use a light bulb that that doesn't exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit (90 watts) in the branch nearest to the light source. Again, a digital thermometer is crucial for this function. To answer your question, yes a high wattage one will damage the screen and potentially your chameleon.

Do what you can. Your chameleons life literally depends on it. Godspeed my friend. Barak Allah fik.

Any tree that produces sap or that you know is toxic to humans (like the Gabon Ebony) are not ok. Driftwood found at the beach is ideal. Make sure you wash the branches in a light soapy solution and let them try in the sun for a a day or two - or the oven if you are so inclined.

Commercial cages don't rust as they are coated alloys, nor does stainless steel if you built a custom cage, so you don't have to worry about that. Metal conducts heat. Aluminum explodes when exposed to high heat. That's obviously dangerous all around. Your cage should be just fine so long as you use a light bulb that that doesn't exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit (90 watts) in the branch nearest to the light source. Again, a digital thermometer is crucial for this function. To answer your question, yes a high wattage one will damage the screen and potentially your chameleon.

Do what you can. Your chameleons life literally depends on it. Godspeed my friend. Barak Allah fik.

Noted.
Thank you very much, God bless you! I will post updates as soon as I adjust the husbandry.

@ragidi said..."30-34 degrees celcius during the day".... If you are using a basking/heat light and the temperatures in the room are already that high you may be overheating the chameleon. does he gape when he's sitting near the basking light?

I'm concerned about the proximity to the air conditioner too.

Not saying either of those two things would be why he's not eating
You've only had him 3 days so it's more likely that he's just settling into his new home.

If it continues post again.

I will ask the breeder if he has this bulb, or I'll order it online. I'm not able to expose Axel to natural sunlight on a daily basis, but I will do my best. I only have mealworms but I'm searching for other options available where I live.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through the info.
I will avoid handling Axel for now.
I'll start looking for more feeding options asap. Are crickets easy to keep? Don't they jump around?
I'll ask the breeder I got Axel from if he has the supplements you suggested. Or I'll order them online.
I'll follow the watering schedule you suggested.
I'll ask the breeder if he has the bulbs and fixtures you mentioned, or I'll order them online.
I will turn off all bulbs at nighttime.
The temperature I mentioned is a rough estimate, so I could be wrong. I'll set up the temp reader asap.
How can I maintain humidity at nighttime? Do I need an automatic misting system? Is there a way I can make one on my own? I unfortunately can't afford an automatic mister (I saw one in a pet store and the price was...scary) unless there's an affordable one? Or I can make one?
I unfortunately can't keep him outdoors. We have chickens and I'm afraid they might peck their way through the screen cage.

I don't have any clear pics in my phone atm, but I will take and post pics as soon as I get home.
You can order a “cool mist humidifier “ online for relatively cheap. It’ll produce something like fog, and you can either run a hose from it to the cage, or else put it in the cage at night.

Although excess humidity can be a problem, I think you’re in the opposite situation, and so the humidifier makes sense to me.

@ragidi said..."30-34 degrees celcius during the day".... If you are using a basking/heat light and the temperatures in the room are already that high you may be overheating the chameleon. does he gape when he's sitting near the basking light?

I'm concerned about the proximity to the air conditioner too.

Not saying either of those two things would be why he's not eating
You've only had him 3 days so it's more likely that he's just settling into his new home.

If it continues post again.
He looks normal and sits near the lamp, no gaping. The temperatures I gave were estimates so I could be wrong about them. Will update with the real temperature reading once I set up the thermometer.
The air conditioner is a very old one (the one with a big box behind it that hangs outside the house), and the airflow doesn't hit the cage.

You can order a “cool mist humidifier “ online for relatively cheap. It’ll produce something like fog, and you can either run a hose from it to the cage, or else put it in the cage at night.

Although excess humidity can be a problem, I think you’re in the opposite situation, and so the humidifier makes sense to me.

I can use a regular humidifier? I can find one anywhere here and place it so that the mist flies into the cage! I wish I thought of that earlier. Thank you!
Question though: is it ok if the mist is cooled? Or should it be warm?

I can use a regular humidifier? I can find one anywhere here and place it so that the mist flies into the cage! I wish I thought of that earlier. Thank you!
Question though: is it ok if the mist is cooled? Or should it be warm?
It should be cool mist only.

Black spots on back? :unsure:

Could you take a picture of his face at an angle, hard to tell if his eyes are sunken or not. Gently pinch his skin in a few places, like his arms or side. Does it go back down quickly, or does it take a few seconds? You said you see him drinking, but just another thing to cross off the list.

Could you move his cage cage away from the air conditioner?

You need to change his lights ASAP as said above. MBD will creep up on you, and though you can keep it from progressing, you cant cure it.

Make sure you buy and use the supplement @Kaizen recommended. Easier than using the calcium and vitamins separately like I do lol.

Update when you make any changes! :)

I noticed the black marks as well. They look like bite marks possibly a territorial dispute. Was this a wild caught chameleon?
Yes, I was informed by the breeder that Axel is wild caught. Apparently the chams he raised himself were sold out so he asked a supplier to get him some chams. Should've mentioned this as soon as I found out...
Regardless, I am willing to do anything to make sure Axel lives a long, healthy, and comfortable life. If there is advice regarding raising a wild caught cham, please let me know.

Yes, I was informed by the breeder that Axel is wild caught. Apparently the chams he raised himself were sold out so he asked a supplier to get him some chams. Should've mentioned this as soon as I found out...
Regardless, I am willing to do anything to make sure Axel lives a long, healthy, and comfortable life. If there is advice regarding raising a wild caught cham, please let me know.

I would Have a fecal done to check for parasites. Do you know how the black marks on his back got there?

Could you take a closeup picture of those black spots, along with the side and front views of his head and body?

A fecal is important even with captive bred and born chameleons. It's pretty much required for wild caught, they almost always have some sort of parasite.

Back
Top Bottom