My aunt is giving me her bearded dragon!

Screenshot_20211006-083913.png

In all honesty, I've never tracked how long my beardie brumates for, I just let her do her thing. I offer food and water on the days she wakes up though. I'll track it this year though. She brumates starting in the fall and through the winter. Never in the middle of summer.

In all honesty, I've never tracked how long my beardie brumates for, I just let her do her thing. I offer food and water on the days she wakes up though. I'll track it this year though. She brumates starting in the fall and through the winter. Never in the middle of summer.
Ok I'll see how it is when he is with me

If I haven't already, I'll second (third, fourth, etc.) a min. 4' x 2' x 2' enclosure. Zen Habitats makes one that is very popular with beardie keepers. They make one in wood and one in PVC. Beardies don't require misting, so the less expensive wood option would do fine.

My enclosure is 5 x 2 x 2.5H. When I designed it, I did two versions: One 4 x 2 x 2 out of regular 4 x 8 plywood, and the 5 x 2 x 2.5 out of Baltic birch. When I priced them out, the baltic birch version was less expensive with less waste.

The only "mistake" I think I made was in using 3/4" baltic birch instead of 1/2". The cost difference was near negligible, but the weight difference was 50%. This thing weighs a ton. :eek:

Just asked my dad last night and he said we could make...... A CUSTOM BEARDIE ENCLOSURE!!! So I'm thinking 2'/2'/6' or 3'/3'/6'
I would go with the former (or tell him about my 5' enclosure and baltic birch).
3' deep will have the same issues as a chameleon enclosure—very difficult to reach into the back unless you climb halfway in or you are 8' tall (with 3' arms). :)

The 3' High part is fine. These guys are semi-arboreal, so they love to climb & get up high like a cham. (maybe not that high).

I'm gonna have to implicate a stand into it. Just curious what does your enclosure look like @Klyde O'Scope
It doesn't photograph well due to the lights inside being so much brighter than outside, but it currently looks like this:
1633723297602.png

It sits on a 6' long folding table:

1633723372859.png

...and there's a compartment on top that holds supplies, bulbs, mechanicals, etc.

I would go with the former (or tell him about my 5' enclosure and baltic birch).
3' deep will have the same issues as a chameleon enclosure—very difficult to reach into the back unless you climb halfway in or you are 8' tall (with 3' arms). :)

The 3' High part is fine. These guys are semi-arboreal, so they love to climb & get up high like a cham. (maybe not that high).

It doesn't photograph well due to the lights inside being so much brighter than outside, but it currently looks like this:
View attachment 312024

It sits on a 6' long folding table:

View attachment 312025

...and there's a compartment on top that holds supplies, bulbs, mechanicals, etc.
Thanks that's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom