Multiple light fixtures vs single?

JohnR

I have probably 5-6 18" fluorescent light fixtures that I got from Lowe's awhile ago. Would it be ok to use say 2-3 of them on my cage until I can afford a nice big one?

That might be a little too much UVB unless your canopy is thick and I mean THICK with plants or they are low UVB bulbs. Just make sure you get the correct bulb for your ballast.

In 99% of all cham set-ups... Most people have success with a TWO light method.

Here's why:

A flo. light does not PROJECT heat and create a basking spot.
You need a dome and an incandescent bulb for that.

However, Flo. bulbs are the best for getting the UVB rays to permeate the enclosure.
And flo. bulbs also provide good visible light for viewing.

But back to the dome light and the incandescent bulb....

Chameleons need to bask. They need to be able to raise their body temperatures IF THEY WANT TO.
For instance, if they need to properly digest food, they may need to warm up to 88 degrees or so ... so that their digestive enzymes will work.

If they are just kept under flo. lighting, they do not have the ability to do this.

Again, yes .. flo. lights can get warm and give off some heat.
Especially ho t5 lights.
But this is not PROJECTED downward the same way a good flood light bulb in a dome light projects heat so the animal can bask.

The greatest success is with a two light method.
A flo. fixture with a good UVB tube in it and an incandescent dome light for basking.

(or even a 3 light method if you add extra LED lighting to grow plants. ;) )

Cheers!
Todd
ligh on cage.gif

Last edited:
Hey Todd,
lights arrived today in great condition! Thank you! This question is moot for me since I went with the quad T5 HO lights from your place, but it's good info for anyone who might have the same question.

Hey Todd,
lights arrived today in great condition! Thank you! This question is moot for me since I went with the quad T5 HO lights from your place, but it's good info for anyone who might have the same question.
Post some pics of that quad fixture with the blue leds on. Im very anxious to purchase that same fixture

Sure but with all the lights on if you could. I am just interested in seeing the lights on a actual enclosure to see the brightness

I am interested as well. This is one of my last items I will need before I start my build. I just found out about this vendor and have my eyes on the quad.

@Venutus1
I come from the reef aquarium world of hobbies and am used to running a ramp up and down schedule to simulate sunrise/set as well as to not go from 100 dark to 100 bright in 1 second. Do they run on multiple power cords or can they be dimmed some other way? Didn't see this info listed.

I am interested as well. This is one of my last items I will need before I start my build. I just found out about this vendor and have my eyes on the quad.

@Venutus1
I come from the reef aquarium world of hobbies and am used to running a ramp up and down schedule to simulate sunrise/set as well as to not go from 100 dark to 100 bright in 1 second. Do they run on multiple power cords or can they be dimmed some other way? Didn't see this info listed.

I also was into reef aquariums for years. It's so fun but super expensive and time consuming. I sold all my sps, lps, zooan. and shrooms when I moved 10 yrs ago.

I have the quad tropical blaze and I love it. I know there's 2 plugs but I think 1 strictly for the nightlight (I don't use) and the other controls the 4 bulbs. I'm not sure about dimming them but would recommend them to anyone.

My cham was always brown under just a dome with a spiral type bulb. I put the quad over him and he brightened up almost instantly.

I also was into reef aquariums for years. It's so fun but super expensive and time consuming. I sold all my sps, lps, zooan. and shrooms when I moved 10 yrs ago.

I have the quad tropical blaze and I love it. I know there's 2 plugs but I think 1 strictly for the nightlight (I don't use) and the other controls the 4 bulbs. I'm not sure about dimming them but would recommend them to anyone.

My cham was always brown under just a dome with a spiral type bulb. I put the quad over him and he brightened up almost instantly.

Cool, good to know. I too just sold off my last sps reef, but that's for the new flooring to be installed and maybe a custom rimless is in the works :D

I'll take a picture when I get home. This comes with 3 power cords. A heavy duty ground plug and 2 "lighter" non-grounded ones (I think...going off of memory here)

The back of the fixture has 3 switches. One for the blue LED lights, and 2 for the lights.

I'll take a picture when I get home. This comes with 3 power cords. A heavy duty ground plug and 2 "lighter" non-grounded ones (I think...going off of memory here)

The back of the fixture has 3 switches. One for the blue LED lights, and 2 for the lights.

You're absolutely correct:

3 Cords total. 1 cord ea. for set of 2 lights and one cord to run the LED moon lights

One for blue, one for uvb and third is a rocket switch lights/off/lights+growth

Here are some pics. This one is with the light on in the room

IMG_0581-L.jpg

with just the blue lights on
IMG_0585-L.jpg

and with the overhead lights off and all lights on in cage
IMG_0587-L.jpg

By comparison, here's the old light that I was using. This is a "plant light" that I got from Lowe's. look at the difference in lighting!

IMG_0565-L.jpg

I just realized that when I said all the lights were on, the basking light is not on in any of the photos.

You all are welcome! I'm glad I went this route.

Back
Top Bottom