Mud?!!!!

giatwd

So I have a young female veiled chameleon named tina i got her just a month or so before covid and just recent upgraded her cage, anyways her coconut fiber substrate has always been good for her but a few days ago she continuously coated herself and water and then went in the substrate and created like a mud at the bottom of her cage that she kind of just played in, i cleaned in out twice until she got some in her eye which had to be rinsed then i just took most of all of it out. since i took it out she has been extremely shy and sleepy, she is usually very active but now she just walk around a small area with her eyes shut then goes back to sleep. her cage is always at a consistent temperature and humidity and here eyes have also been checked and rinsed multiple time what do i do should i just let her have the mud?

Couple of things -- she probably didn't go to the bottom to play. More likely she is trying to lay eggs. Do you have a lay bin? You said you had substrate...is your enclosure bioactive? You said it's always the same temperature and humidity...it should fluctuate between day and night. I have many questions but they can really only be answered if you fill out this form :

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Sounds as though she was trying to lay her eggs and wasn’t successful at doing so. I don’t like that she’s now got her eyes closed and is withdrawn. It’s too possible that she is now eggbound. I suggest getting her to a good vet ASAP to have radiographs done. If she is indeed eggbound, the sooner it’s identified and treated (usually surgical) the better her chances. Can you post some recent pics of her?

Couple of things -- she probably didn't go to the bottom to play. More likely she is trying to lay eggs. Do you have a lay bin? You said you had substrate...is your enclosure bioactive? You said it's always the same temperature and humidity...it should fluctuate between day and night. I have many questions but they can really only be answered if you fill out this form :

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
She is a Veiled chameleon female- around 3 years(previous owner said she was 2)
She is handled maybe once every other day she comes to the front of her cage and is held for about 2 minutes while I clean poop and change out her water then she is put back
She eats about 7-8 gutloaded crickets every other day and 1-2 superworms whenever the pet store has them
Crickets are dusted with zoomed repticalcium d3
She has a dropper with a water bowl under neath she does drink as well as go for full body soaks, I do not must because she become extremely uncomfortable and runs around and hisses the first couple weeks when I tried to
Her pee is like a pastel yellow and her poops are about an inch long brown quite solid
She eats normal and pees a lot

Tina has just upgraded to the exoterra glass cage 18x18x24
I do not know the brand of the lighting as I got it from the previous owner and haven’t changed but it’s a double bulb and I can include pictures
And her cage ranges usually 80-90 but in the summer it got up to 95 right now it is at 80 and I have two small gauges that I ordered off chewy( pic included)
Humidity stays at 50 I don’t do much to change that because it makes her uncomfortable and I have a small hygrometer
No live plants I live in Wisconsin and temperatures are hard to maintain
Her cage is located in front of my bed next to my desk on top of a drawer system, no large animals except for my tree frog but I do have a barrier in between them
I am in Wisconsin
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 84
Alright. Your girl needs a vet. Sounds like she's lived a long time without adaquate lighting and supplementation. Is she crawling into the water herself or are you putting her there? It is very abnormal for chameleons to soak in water.

I think the most important thing is getting your girl to a good chameleon vet ASAP. we can talk husbandry but to be honest you should visit https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ and do some reading. I think you will learn that your chameleon needs a different environment then the one you are currently providing. There should be no standing water, no substrate unless it is a bioactive setup, no D3 at every feeding, as well as a linear UVB light, not a compact bulb.

Alright. Your girl needs a vet. Sounds like she's lived a long time without adaquate lighting and supplementation. Is she crawling into the water herself or are you putting her there? It is very abnormal for chameleons to soak in water.

I think the most important thing is getting your girl to a good chameleon vet ASAP. we can talk husbandry but to be honest you should visit https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ and do some reading. I think you will learn that your chameleon needs a different environment then the one you are currently providing. There should be no standing water, no substrate unless it is a bioactive setup, no D3 at every feeding, as well as a linear UVB light, not a compact bulb.
She does crawl into the water on her own and has since I got her she originally did not have any sort of dropper so I assumed she was did it since she was young I also read the link and it says no red light what do you suggest for lighting as for which bulb and what type of lighting schedule to have her on

No red light. You want a linear t5ho with a 6% or 10.0 uvb bulb. This light should cover the whole width of your enclosure. Then you will need a bulb for basking.

Go to the link I shared. It has all the information you need really. Once you have a good basic setup, we can fine tune. There is also a veiled care sheet here on the forum you can look at.
She does crawl into the water on her own and has since I got her she originally did not have any sort of dropper so I assumed she was did it since she was young I also read the link and it says no red light what do you suggest for lighting as for which bulb and what type of lighting schedule to have her on

Thank you so much for your help I will be going to the store this weekend and picking up some live plants as well as the right lightbulbs that she needs, and will make an appointment for Monday to take her to see a vet and will post more pictures as I improve thank you again

There’s a lot of changes you’ll need to make in order to have the right enclosure for your girl. For starts she needs a lay bin with at least 6 inches of damp play sand in her cage to see if she could possible lay her eggs. The sand needs to be just damp enough to hold a tunnel. That may be what she was trying to create for herself when she was digging in the bottom of her cage. I would do this ASAP. The lay bin needs to be at least 10”x10”.

Please post a couple more photos of the chameleon without all the reflections on it.
she just woke up and this is how she looks

Attachments

• 644AB254-22DA-40B5-93E1-1E511E312B3D.jpeg
    644AB254-22DA-40B5-93E1-1E511E312B3D.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ED2484B9-DBA5-4930-8848-0120FE28F462.jpeg
    ED2484B9-DBA5-4930-8848-0120FE28F462.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 95
Sounds as though she was trying to lay her eggs and wasn’t successful at doing so. I don’t like that she’s now got her eyes closed and is withdrawn. It’s too possible that she is now eggbound. I suggest getting her to a good vet ASAP to have radiographs done. If she is indeed eggbound, the sooner it’s identified and treated (usually surgical) the better her chances. Can you post some recent pics of her?
So an update Tina is in the early stages of laying her eggs I have spoken with a vet and have now given her a proper laying bin, I threw some extra leaves in there for privacy and put a small curtain over the front of her cage, her eyes are now wide open and she immediately ran to the laying bin I am trying to find some live Pothos plants in my area to give her and possibly investing in a mister

You are welcome. Yes--please do keep is updated. I hope the vet can help.
So an update Tina is in the early stages of laying her eggs I have spoken with a vet and have now given her a proper laying bin, I threw some extra leaves in there for privacy and put a small curtain over the front of her cage, her eyes are now wide open and she immediately ran to the laying bin I am trying to find some live Pothos plants in my area to give her and possibly investing in a mister

Her tail is pretty thin. You definitely need to make some changes to your husbandry...but it's also important right now to solve the reasons she looks like she does...thin tail, chubby body.

Once she has laid her eggs and gone back up to her branches give her some treats like a couple silk worms and a horn worm of the appropriate size and some Dubia roaches all very lightly dusted with calcium. And mist her well so she will drink. This will help rehydrate her and help her recover.

Back
Top Bottom