Mr. Sassafras

Derhaase

So I have a roughly 9 M.O. Veiled, and I know they're prone to the "Teenage phase" around this time; over the past few days he's been super house sour/ territorial, he doesn't bite but he gets all puffed up, hisses, and lunges a little. I've been working with him by just having my hand in there near him, hand feeding him, and hanging out with him on my shoulder and running around.
Smaug's always had a sparkling personality and still does outside of his house; he loves people, loves the dog, always is BRIGHT green and yellow walking and climbing around the house and while being held.

Any tips you guys have on working past this phase?

Attachments

• smaug.jpeg
    smaug.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 187
Sadly my veiled never lived past this phase even when he was a couple years old. My advice though, is to get him onto your hands and when you DO, feed him. He will start to think of being out as a less negative thing and more of an "I'm going to be fed" thing.

I agree- my veiled has never bitten me, but he is more of a challenge than my panthers. Mine does come to me willingly though. Veileds have more sass, but he always responds to hand-feeding his favorite treats. Also, let him come to you, never "grab" him. Veiled chams are territorial and like to think they are in control. If you show patience and let him climb onto your hand he will trust you more. They are usually not in favor of a lot of handling, but he can get to the point where you are the favorite out of the cage "tree".

Back
Top Bottom