MPG? What do you get?

98 Dodge Neon ACR - 16 MPG "Fun Driving", 31 MPG Granny-style highway driving (The toy) Managed to average 10 MPG in it once, but this required going 30 miles in just a little over 11 minutes.
99 Dodge Ram w/360, Intake, exhaust, performance programmer, 33" tires - 10.5 MPG (Primary driver) Ya gotta love the $100-$120/week when gas was over $4/gal.
79 Dodge Lil Red Express, performance intake manifold, 1000cfm carb, .60 overbore, 12 gallon gas tank - 8 MPG (project)

Whose Miata are you referring to?

People should not run anything less than 91 octane on cars powered by turbo charged engines. The damage from knocking is very serious. Having a compression ratio more than 9 usually requires premium fuel. A turbo car most likely has either 8:1 or 9:1 compression. As soon as that turbo is spooling boost, the boost increases the amount of air being compressed by the cylinder, in tern this increases the compression ratio. Higher combustion chamber pressures cause higher temps requiring a higher octane. Knocking is very serious. This is why I don't get into boost on hot days (because we only have crap 91 octane), ESPECIALLY if the intercooler has been heat soaking at a stop light. A new engine (especially in my car) is not cheap, and I don't want to risk it :cool:

People who live in hot places like Chat and Tyler should even watch the knocking. On modern cars it isn't AS big of a deal. Modern cars will sense the knocking and adjust ignition timing. But the car has to knock before the computer knows to adjust.

The Miata I used to own had the ignition timing adjusted 10 degrees advanced. It gave the engine a bit more kick. BUT this was nooooooootttt good when we drove it to CO for a Miata weekend in Grand Junction. Crossing the desert the engine would knock when I got on the throttle. I ended up adjusting the piggyback computer's knock sensitivity a bit and running premium fuel to keep things happy. :eek:

Remember I said as long as you keep it out of boost. ;)

I wasn't poking fun of the miata. They are fast and fun. My point was that the turbo on them doesn't add a whole lot of compression compared to bigger turbos. It doesn't need to. The car weights what like 1500 pounds? Doesn't take much HP to pin you to your seat in one of those.

I have never looked up the compression numbers on that car. I just know the turbo isn't very big. As a matter of fact most "factory" turbos are not balls to the wall. If they were the manufacturer would constantly be replacing engines.

Remember I said as long as you keep it out of boost. ;)

I wasn't poking fun of the miata. They are fast and fun. My point was that the turbo on them doesn't add a whole lot of compression compared to bigger turbos. It doesn't need to. The car weights what like 1500 pounds? Doesn't take much HP to pin you to your seat in one of those.

I have never looked up the compression numbers on that car. I just know the turbo isn't very big. As a matter of fact most "factory" turbos are not balls to the wall. If they were the manufacturer would constantly be replacing engines.

Not many miatas come turbo, only the mazda speeds. and the reason those don't have big turbos is because Mazda just slapped it on. they didn't make a turbo engine i.e. lower compression and blah blah.... Which is fine because a Miata motor can run 12 lbs of boost no issue before you need to start building up the internals.

its hard to keep it out of boost on my STi. I really have to keep an eye on it. :eek:

Not many miatas come turbo, only the mazda speeds. and the reason those don't have big turbos is because Mazda just slapped it on. they didn't make a turbo engine i.e. lower compression and blah blah.... Which is fine because a Miata motor can run 12 lbs of boost no issue before you need to start building up the internals.

its hard to keep it out of boost on my STi. I really have to keep an eye on it. :eek:

LOL Pics or Bann!

16.2 inner city on my 06 Explorer and 18 on highway. Gas is currently 2.34 which is the highest its been in about 9 months. Usually its around 2.08. Has gotten down to 1.88 a few months back.

16.2 inner city on my 06 Explorer and 18 on highway. Gas is currently 2.34 which is the highest its been in about 9 months. Usually its around 2.08. Has gotten down to 1.88 a few months back.

what planet do you live on where gas hasn't been more than $2.34 in 9 months!?!!? :confused::eek::confused:

The same planet I am from..... It's $2.75 here currently, but a month ago it was around the $1.88 price. It did get to the $1.40 range at one point.

I am going to assume he meant the STi, because that's what I would want to see pics of:D

I have some pics but kill have to post when I get home from work. I'll also have to check my charts gas out here 9 months ago was still petty high...:eek:

Fear and Betty....You both better plant a tree! :p

Outside of my SUV, Im about as hippi-ish as one can get these days.:) My kids know what recycling is at age 3, we walk when we can, we are planning on building an energy efficient home int he near future, and I do plant trees after I harvest them in my portable greenhouse.I also use worm compost for soil..

Im a Green Gal! :) I just have a herd of children and until they can all get old enough to where they dont all have ti travel with me at the same time, this is my only option..

I wish I could afford to build a "green house," but currently, they take 200 years of energy savings to pay off the additional costs of the house. For claiming to be anti-capitalist, the "green industry" sure does know how to capitalize on green technology LOL.

Not like the planet won't stay green anyways.

I wish I could afford to build a "green house," but currently, they take 200 years of energy savings to pay off the additional costs of the house. For claiming to be anti-capitalist, the "green industry" sure does know how to capitalize on green technology LOL.

Not like the planet won't stay green anyways.

My mom just built one onto their home. a 2 level ones that they can walk into from their bedroom. Its awesome..you can birdwatch too as they turned an old tree stump into a bird feeder by hollowing it out and filling with seed. Our new home will have a greenhouse, no doubt about it.

I also no longer use paper towels (cloth napkins), and we use recycled TP and energy efficient dtergent and line dry when the weather allows...so I think Im doing my part.. I make my husband bring home his drink bottles or cans to recycle instead of throwing em away at work.:) We also use containers instead of plastic baggies.. I know this was about cars but I think it all goes hand in hand.:)

Keep your eyes peeled Solar is about to get really cheap. That is if they ever get the production of the flexible polymer cells going. It's a cell that can be mass produced one a roll of this polymer. Really cool stuff, being flexible means it can pretty much be applied to any surface, curved or flat.

Betty..Kudos to you green gal.

Keep your eyes peeled Solar is about to get really cheap. That is if they ever get the production of the flexible polymer cells going. It's a cell that can be mass produced one a roll of this polymer. Really cool stuff, being flexible means it can pretty much be applied to any surface, curved or flat.

Betty..Kudos to you green gal.

I already told Hubby that the sunroom will have colar panels as willt eh greenhouse of course and any other room we can afford. We are also installing a tankless water heater and investing in solar power to power some of our smaller electronics. Im a hippie @ heart!

I don't pay any attention to gas mileage.
I drive an 89 Jeep Cherokee Laredo that I put $20 worth of gas in about once a month.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom