MPG? What do you get?

So, how many of you watch your MPG? When gas REALLY did cost an arm and a leg were you tracking your mileage? :confused:

I decided to be OCD after buying my Miata and Subaru STi from my OCD boss. His wacky note taking transferred to me after buying two cars from him. :eek: After each fill up since I purchased the STi from him I have written down the Mileage I got on each tank, and the collective mileage the car had on the Odo. Since September of 2006 when I purchased the car I have entered the Mileage and gas consumption into a Excel spread sheet, tracking my cars gas usage. :rolleyes:

I don't expect to find many of you out there that have kept track of your cars gas performance such as I have done.... but I do expect to find some people who at least monitor it tank to tank and keep a mental note. :eek:

Here are some stats.... (still missing some gas slips..... but I have about 95% of them entered)

Gallons of Premium fuel consumed: 2,736.26

Cost for the above fuel: $8,745.41

Most expensive gallon of fuel, purchased on 6-25-08: 4.869

Average cost of fuel: $3.20

Cheapest gallon of fuel, purchased 12-12-08: 1.869

I buy gas from the same two or three stations located near my home. I pump mostly at Mobil stations.

Miles driven since the purchase of vehicle: 57,899.00

Worst MPG: 15.47

Average MPG: 20.12

Best MPG: 25.59

There were a couple of 6 MPG tanks but these were incomplete fill ups... Where I filled up, drove 30 miles and was down 1/4 of a tank.... so I topped off the tank just to make sure things were 'OK'. This has happened maybe 3 times in the three years I've had the car. I think these sort of things happen when a gas station has a bad pump handle that shut off the fuel premature :rolleyes:.

A fellow Subaru owner told me that if I can stay out of boost (the car is turbo, the more 'boost' the more fuel consumed) and keep my MPH on the fwy around 65, I will get some very good MPG. The next few weeks I intend to take him up on this. I plan to leave early for work and drive the speed limit the entire way, AND say out of boost while entering the fwy. I will also shift no later than 3,000 RPM. :cool:

Lets hear what you guys get.

48 mpg is my average.

Kind of pissed at the price of gas right now. They are artificially inflating it again to grab more record profits.

I always track my mileage. I have a 12.5 gallon tank on my Honda Civic. I don't peel out at stop signs or lights, and keep a steady speed.

If I am careful and there are long stretches of flat road, I can creep it up to 60 mpg

Yeah gas is starting to creep up again. I haven't logged the stats you have, but I certainly keep track. When I drive like a bat out of hell, I get like 17mpg city. When I drive more conservatively like granny, and I keep out of boost, I will get as high as 27 in the city. On average I get 23-24 city. Highway mileage is about the same as my average but If I drive 94 in a 55 like I did a couple months ago (got pulled over and got a $630 ticket LOL), then I get like 20 on the highway because the turbo is spooled up pretty much the whole time. If i drive like 55-65 mph, I have gotten as high as 34mpg. I drive a Mkv Volkswagen Gti, and I put 91 octane or higher in it (mostly 93 around here).

Wish I had 93 octane

Yeah gas is starting to creep up again. I haven't logged the stats you have, but I certainly keep track. When I drive like a bat out of hell, I get like 17mpg city. When I drive more conservatively like granny, and I keep out of boost, I will get as high as 27 in the city. On average I get 23-24 city. Highway mileage is about the same as my average but If I drive 94 in a 55 like I did a couple months ago (got pulled over and got a $630 ticket LOL), then I get like 20 on the highway because the turbo is spooled up pretty much the whole time. If i drive like 55-65 mph, I have gotten as high as 34mpg. I drive a Mkv Volkswagen Gti, and I put 91 octane or higher in it (mostly 93 around here).

We only have 91 octane in CA:rolleyes:. I also try to fuel up at the same station/s to keep the fuel consistent (i.e. I fill up at the same mobile near work or the one by my house, but mostly just the one by my house). Fueling up with different brands all the time throws your fuel mapping off on your car's computer. Believe it or not, your car learns the way fuel burns and makes adjustments on ignition timing and how much fuel to inject in each cylinder.

If the weather is warmer than 85*F I avoid boost. I don't like to hear knocking. :eek:

Would you please post what vehicle you are drving as well. I would like to get a fuel effiecent car. I don't think those electric ones are cut out what they are meant to be with their limited batteries and toxic waste afterwards :rolleyes: Does anyone drive the Coops? or a SmartCar? I would think those would be good on gas but shudder at the thought of becoming grill fodder for a Mac Truck :eek:

I don't keep nearly the records you do, but in my Explorer I have (which is about to be sold whooooo hooo!) gets around 20 average. My 06 GSX-R1000 that I never put anything less than 93 in considering the gas station around the corner has 110 for 8 bux a gal. :D:D:D:D:D That thing gets about 35 if I am not completely giving it hell, but its hard not to. I just gotta stop doing wheelies LOL I have gotten two reckless driving charges for doing wheelies and always have had "ejudication with held" they are nice little 550 dollar tickets, plus the 12 hr ADI course which is 150 bux. You would think I would learn. The most I have ever paid at a pump was mid June 08 in Three Rivers Ca. I paid 5.02 for 91 octane... Thank god I was on my motorcycle. It only costs me about 9 bux to fill up currently with 93.

See Ya,

Todd

I average about 10.5 around town in my Ford F-150, but it's lifted with 35" tires which certainly doesn't help. It's no better on the highway, and worse than 10mpg if I'm going 80+ mph (RPM's stay really high the whole time at high speeds). Wind pushing against me makes me want to cry thinking about my mileage. I don't take my truck on the open road much anymore unless we're going dirtbiking.

We also have a 2009 Ford Edge which averages about 18mpg around town. We got about 22-23 on the trip up to the San Fran reptile show 2 weeks ago because we were stuck with low speed limits, and travelled 60-65 much of the way. Clearly better mileage at 65 than at 75. I was pretty impressed with 22-23mpg from a small SUV (the Edge). I love that thing, but it's pretty much my wife's.

I had a Mini Cooper S (manual) a while back that wasn't any better than the Edge is. I did drive it fast, but seems like my best tanks were in the 20mpg range. I didn't like sitting 4" off the ground, though, and felt very unsafe the whole time.

I average 33mpg on my 09 focus according to its little computer.
Prior to that I actually had a prius and I have to say, it was a bit of a scam. The true average on it was right at 45mpg for me, BUT there are some significant downfalls compared to the focus.

Taxes, Title, etc. with a decent option package, the Prius was a $30K car. When I bought it, I did get the $3,000 or so tax credit. The Focus is a $17K car similarly equipped.

$10,000 is a lot of gasoline.

For that money, the Focus drives better, has far more comfortable seats, and has SYNC which is actually pretty amazing.

To keep up on your warranty, the prius requires a service every 5K miles, that essentially only a toyota dealer can do. It costs about $120 on average, a little more ever 15K miles.

According to the manual, the Focus needs service every 7,500 miles on synthetic oil, and it can be done just about anywhere. It costs me I think $70 at wal-mart.

Just in the difference between service costs, it justifies any gas savings I may have had with the prius. It was a very bad decision on my part to ever buy it. It was an enjoyable car, there are fun things about it. But as an economical decision, it was a mistake.

Hey Pure? ya out there? what kind of MPG are you getting?

*laughs*

I think I get better than anyone here. My MPG is 1.2 amps per 2 miles. :cool:

You do know that higher octane gas is useless in low compression engines,right? So your miata (if you keep it out of boost) will run fine on the cheap stuff. You may have a slight knock if it goes into compression with the lower grade gas but it should still be OK. The factory turbo in those things aren't a beast by any means..

The red car I posted a pic of was my tib, it got me about 22 around town. But I had also pretty much totally worked over the top end of the engine. I was pushing a little over 300HP at the weels...So says the Dino. When I played with it you could almost see the gas needle move. But it was priceless seeing the face on some mustang guys face when I would smoke him. :D

My father was a professional drag racer until I was about 5. So I know a thing or 2 about cars. Rebuilt my first 302 at 12 yrs old.

Don't hate me. I did at one time have a 65 Chevy step side that I put on a 75 K5 Blazer frame and stuck a built 396 big block in it. I had 40 inch swampers on it and 20 inches of lift. I'm ashamed to say I got all of about 4 MPG in this thing, but it was a fun ride. I built it to drag race in a mud strip on the edge of town..Go rednecks!!!

These numbers are mostly guess work. Everything is a 08 except the Focus. . .think its 03. These numbers would be easy driving, low # for city, high # for highway.

30-35-KLR650-More of a toy for putting around don't really use this for transport.

10-18-F150-Sucks some fuel.

30-40-Camry Hybrid-Love this car.

??-??-Prius-Not sure never really drive this thing. If you are over 6'4 this car sucks-my knees are all in the dash. This thing does better fuel wise then the camry does, I know that.

??-??-Focus-Again couldn't tell you exactly never drive this either-knees in the dash here as well.

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

19k when I bought it. cheaper than the prius. drives like a regular Civic.

I average abotu 50mpg

service every 10k miles is only about $40. The Prius has been kind of a rip off since they were introduced unfortunately.

I average 33mpg on my 09 focus according to its little computer.
Prior to that I actually had a prius and I have to say, it was a bit of a scam. The true average on it was right at 45mpg for me, BUT there are some significant downfalls compared to the focus.

Taxes, Title, etc. with a decent option package, the Prius was a $30K car. When I bought it, I did get the $3,000 or so tax credit. The Focus is a $17K car similarly equipped.

$10,000 is a lot of gasoline.

For that money, the Focus drives better, has far more comfortable seats, and has SYNC which is actually pretty amazing.

To keep up on your warranty, the prius requires a service every 5K miles, that essentially only a toyota dealer can do. It costs about $120 on average, a little more ever 15K miles.

According to the manual, the Focus needs service every 7,500 miles on synthetic oil, and it can be done just about anywhere. It costs me I think $70 at wal-mart.

Just in the difference between service costs, it justifies any gas savings I may have had with the prius. It was a very bad decision on my part to ever buy it. It was an enjoyable car, there are fun things about it. But as an economical decision, it was a mistake.

Plus, you're keepin it real with a FORD! I'm a Ford guy and will be for life. Never been let down by one and I've been in a Ford since I was 16.

I really wouldn't consider a focus a ford. LOL

You do know there are a lot of Fords with Mazda engines right?

Mazdas are great cars. I just think it deflates the macho Ford image a little.

Eh I never got the whole Ford vs Chevy crap.

All I know is I can build a 350 that dollar for dollar will eat a 302. Oh and the real 5.0 is a 305 Chevy. ;) But no I am not a "Chevy man".

You do know that higher octane gas is useless in low compression engines,right? So your miata (if you keep it out of boost) will run fine on the cheap stuff. You may have a slight knock if it goes into compression with the lower grade gas but it should still be OK. The factory turbo in those things aren't a beast by any means..

Whose Miata are you referring to?

People should not run anything less than 91 octane on cars powered by turbo charged engines. The damage from knocking is very serious. Having a compression ratio more than 9 usually requires premium fuel. A turbo car most likely has either 8:1 or 9:1 compression. As soon as that turbo is spooling boost, the boost increases the amount of air being compressed by the cylinder, in tern this increases the compression ratio. Higher combustion chamber pressures cause higher temps requiring a higher octane. Knocking is very serious. This is why I don't get into boost on hot days (because we only have crap 91 octane), ESPECIALLY if the intercooler has been heat soaking at a stop light. A new engine (especially in my car) is not cheap, and I don't want to risk it :cool:

People who live in hot places like Chat and Tyler should even watch the knocking. On modern cars it isn't AS big of a deal. Modern cars will sense the knocking and adjust ignition timing. But the car has to knock before the computer knows to adjust.

The Miata I used to own had the ignition timing adjusted 10 degrees advanced. It gave the engine a bit more kick. BUT this was nooooooootttt good when we drove it to CO for a Miata weekend in Grand Junction. Crossing the desert the engine would knock when I got on the throttle. I ended up adjusting the piggyback computer's knock sensitivity a bit and running premium fuel to keep things happy. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom