Moving soon..

10-15 mins is not a real big deal, simply put your cham in a small box lined with paper towels. Seal it ( make sure he can breathe ) and since it will be dark he will probably start to calm down and perhaps even fall asleep.

When you arrive at your new place, let him sleep until his home is setup again and the traffic won't be heavy in the room. Open the box and let him wake up. Gently pick him up and put him in his home. Leave him alone for a while to adjust. Then later you can continue interaction as normal.

I would go with spinyfranky, but just make sure you poke two holes in the box and put a stick/branch. This will give your cham something to hold on to,should the driver decide to try any F1 driving.:)

If you have a paper towel/ normal towel there isn't really a need for a stick. Sometimes a stick can be a bad thing.

Since your temps are only around freezing at best, make sure not to leave the box in the car. Load car, take cham to car last, drive to new place, take cham inside first thing. Also just in cage the move stressed him offer extra water.

PS my sister does all the reptile rescues for the Springfield zoo, she just picked up a cute baby alligator only about 8".:)

I appreciate it, i am going to get the keys first, and going to turn the heat on, then packing him and his cage up...he come over before anything else.

I almost got a baby alligator a couple years ago...he was three or four feet though, and i really didn't have the resources for him. He was free, but in a one bedroom apartment, i didn't see that working out!

I appreciate it, i am going to get the keys first, and going to turn the heat on, then packing him and his cage up...he come over before anything else.

I almost got a baby alligator a couple years ago...he was three or four feet though, and i really didn't have the resources for him. He was free, but in a one bedroom apartment, i didn't see that working out!

Dude I was so close to getting a baby alligator myself. Back in my being bad days when I had stupid money stopped in at an Indianapolis pet shop and there it was I had to have it so I went home started making a supply list and realized the truth to the situation... alligators would not make a good pet.

Dude I was so close to getting a baby alligator myself. Back in my being bad days when I had stupid money stopped in at an Indianapolis pet shop and there it was I had to have it so I went home started making a supply list and realized the truth to the situation... alligators would not make a good pet.

They make awful pets, that is what my sis has to rescue lots of them, that and lots os snakes. Never yet a chameleon out of the 100's she has placed in homes!!!:(

There is no such thing as an 'awful pet', just awful, unprepared, ignorant owners. :)
Everything has certain requirements, be chameleons, snakes or alligators.
I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy that in earlier days, chameleons were considered a poor choice of pet, because they tended to die in the hands of clueless owners.
Sorry Laurie, statements like that are misleading and unfair and unfinished. A pet peeve
(pun intended) of mine.
Peoples often 'spur-of-the-moment' descisions to aquire something, because its free, exciting, to impress others, or whatever, have always led to such statements, and ofcourse, to abandoned, dumped, neglected animals of any kind.
I often think ego is involved, and that people decide 'it cant be that hard', and just aquire an animal based on some vague idea of its needs. Goldfish = needs water, seems to be about the limit of research (this applies broadly).
[/end Rant] :D

Very true Jo My parents are sheriff posse/ animal rescue and the animals rescued are miss treated due to lack of water or food. When bad keepers can't aford the animal they tend to let it go in the wild wich is why people think what we reptile lovers do is wrong. Just takes a few bad keepers to make a animal a bad choice in others eyes.

Moving

When I got my first veiled cham from the san diego super show I set up his cage in the hotel room and secured the cage inside my mom's MDX for the 3 hour ride home. Im sure he wasnt to happy about it but he still ate during the drive home. But since he was in his little cage 16x16x30 it was easy to do I dont think I could do it now that he is in his 24x24x48 cage

There is no such thing as an 'awful pet', just awful, unprepared, ignorant owners. :)
Everything has certain requirements, be chameleons, snakes or alligators.
I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy that in earlier days, chameleons were considered a poor choice of pet, because they tended to die in the hands of clueless owners.
Sorry Laurie, statements like that are misleading and unfair and unfinished. A pet peeve
(pun intended) of mine.
Peoples often 'spur-of-the-moment' descisions to aquire something, because its free, exciting, to impress others, or whatever, have always led to such statements, and ofcourse, to abandoned, dumped, neglected animals of any kind.
I often think ego is involved, and that people decide 'it cant be that hard', and just aquire an animal based on some vague idea of its needs. Goldfish = needs water, seems to be about the limit of research (this applies broadly).
[/end Rant] :D

Dan I am sorry, as usual you are correct, what I should have said is they are not the right pet for most people. You are completely correct that them not "making good pets" is a function of lack of knowledge and planning prior to purchase. people have also turned these guys loose in the wild and then conservation goes with my sister to capture them. What amazes me is that Lee gets them all good homes. Let me tell you she won't let anyone adopt an animal until they convince her they are prepared and know what they are doing. Since she doesn't get a penny for all of this, we won't even talk about how much ti cost her to go get animals, up to a 3 hour drive, house and feed them until she finds a good home for them. Now all of you know where all my money goes.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom