Moving a heavy viv..

Robyn.lux

Hey guys,
So I have a 90cmx45cmx90cm glass vivarium.
I had to temporarily have the vivarium on a low coffee table in my living room. I now have got a much higher platform to put it on. The only issue I am having is that it is a naturalistic viv and has clay balls, soil and live plants. Making it ridiculously heavy. It's Exo Terra, does anyone have experience moving them whilst full? Will it hold? I'd be very gutted if it broke. Obviously I can take out some of the decorative things but the plants, soil and clay balls can't be removed for obvious reasons.
I've had my cham less than a week so he is already quite stressed so I also worry that moving him will stress him more? Which I obviously do not want. But at the end of the move will be a quieter area that's higher up. Or shall Ieave him where he is? Will he get used to being low down?
Should I wait or just get it over with.
Any advice is highly welcome.

Last edited:
for one, your measurements are off, maybe thats in cm unless your cage weighs a ton or so...

The key is to slip some plywood under it, and only lift the plywood. This relieves all stress from the glass.

Tipping the cage wont be a problem, but without the plywood bottom, you will apply a lot of torque and pressure points to the cage. They are no where near has robust as a fish tank of the same size.

So cut some plywood that is 1-2" wider than the base. Tip the cage back so that 1" of plywood fits under it. Then tip it back onto the plywood. Then just slide it the rest of the way back onto the plywood. you a are going to need some saw horses or a ladder or something to support the other end of the plywood. Dont use a partner to hold it up :)

for one, your measurements are off, maybe thats in cm unless your cage weighs a ton or so...

The key is to slip some plywood under it, and only lift the plywood. This relieves all stress from the glass.

Tipping the cage wont be a problem, but without the plywood bottom, you will apply a lot of torque and pressure points to the cage. They are no where near has robust as a fish tank of the same size.

So cut some plywood that is 1-2" wider than the base. Tip the cage back so that 1" of plywood fits under it. Then tip it back onto the plywood. Then just slide it the rest of the way back onto the plywood. you a are going to need some saw horses or a ladder or something to support the other end of the plywood. Dont use a partner to hold it up :)
Sorry I did mean CM hahaha oh dear. One of those days.
I have absolutely no where to get plywood or no where to store it once it's finished with, if I could get it.
I was thinking of getting my partner to dead lift it with me straight on top of the new stand and then drag the whole unit into place. I'm so worried about it breaking.
I'll post a photo of the current place.
There is an arm chair to the side to discourage people from walking in front of his viv with enough space for me to get in and do what I need, mist, feed etc.
Tbh it's mainly me home alone. The black fabric is there because of the fact that it is still quite high traffic even if I'm not walking directly in front of the viv and I have a cat. I am trying to discourage her from going near the viv.
They don't seem to be the most sturdy of vivs. Do you think he'll eventually settle there?!
He seemed to be doing okay but he's not eaten again today. He wouldn't even take a wax worm and he seemed to love those.
I know my husbandry is just fine so I am not worried I am doing anything wrong there.
Is it better to leave him where he is? I'm also quite tempted to get a different viv and sell this one on. But unsure get.

Attachments

• IMG_20180818_135901.jpg
    IMG_20180818_135901.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20180818_140547.jpg
    IMG_20180818_140547.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 58
That and some of those "moving men" plastic pucks for sliding heavy furniture across the room may help.

Yo are gold as long as you stay near the corners and lift evenly. You dont even have to keep it level, the only thing that will hurt the cage is if the right rear corner is higher than the front left corner, etc.

If you as me the metric system is superior to the imperial system just like celcius is superior to farenheit... So imho he was spot on. o_O

It not my fault no one was good a marketing the decimeter so we could replace the foot.

At least we dont use stones or poods :)

Back
Top Bottom