Mouth Rot?

jhappe

I am looking at purchasing this chameleon but this picture the guy sent me looks questionable... Any ideas what is going on with his lips?

Attachments

• Reptiles 001.jpg
    Reptiles 001.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,112
It does not look like he currently has anything going on. Could be an old injury or a deformity or a healed mouth rot spot. You see alot of WC animals with mouths like that-is he WC?

he said he bought him from a lady, that bought him from a breeder, so the history is a little unclear... I was thinking of getting him anyway and trying to treat with Terramycin. Do you think it could improve? What would you say a fair price for him would be?

he said he bought him from a lady, that bought him from a breeder, so the history is a little unclear... I was thinking of getting him anyway and trying to treat with Terramycin. Do you think it could improve? What would you say a fair price for him would be?

Did you look inside his mouth? If it is an old injury or something it won't get any better, but won't hurt him either. Terramycin is for eyes.

It does not look like he currently has anything going on. Could be an old injury or a deformity or a healed mouth rot spot. You see alot of WC animals with mouths like that-is he WC?

Oh that doesn't look concerning to you? I've only seen snakes' lips that look like that when there was stomatitis hiding inside the mouth, I don't have any experience with chameleon mouth rot so I guess it's different? The fact that it looks like it's bulging and not dry makes me concerned, but I could be totally wrong here.

If it were me I would look in his mouth anyway when I went to pick him up if you do decide to buy him.

Did you look inside his mouth? If it is an old injury or something it won't get any better, but won't hurt him either. Terramycin is for eyes.

It is a antibiotic gel that I used to treat mouth rot in a female panther I aquired a while back, seemed to work pretty well.

I don't really see that it looks gunky-but it is a picture. I would get him to open his mouth and see what's up in there. If chameleons get an injury or a bad case of mouth rot, their mouths often stay like that even after they heal up.
Terramycin is an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment. I have actually heard of people using it for mouth rot, but I am not sure how safe that actually is. I think your vet could prescribe something better.

Back
Top Bottom