Mountain chameleon caresheet

mhfan305

Can someone give me a link to a general caresheet of mountainous species? I had one from a user heres blog, but I dont have the link anymore. Im looking into getting a kinyongia tavetana. But might switch to other lower temperature requiring species. Thanks.

Im looking into getting a kinyongia tavetana.

If WC I hope you have better luck than me. I got five of them and they were dead within two weeks. Two within hours. The other three of them looked pretty good when they arrived, but went downhill fast. I used everything in my arsenal to try to save them.

I did get eggs from one female that should hatch this summer. If you are set on that species, I'd advise CH or CB.

Im going to buy a male from a reptile carrier ive bought from before, theyve been in their captivity for awhile. I trust he'll be fine. What temperature do you keep your basking spot at for them? Im thinking 90F.

90 is Much to hot for montanes. I kept Multis and had them about 82.I imagine you'd want it around there. Mike, can you confirm?

So probably 85F max?

I'd stay lower than that...around 80-82 max.

BTW, there isn't a "general caresheet" for montane species as there are differences between species. Instead, look at the forum's specialized discussions for your species. The only "general" guidance I'd feel comfortable with would be that most montanes are more sensitive to fat-soluable vitamins (so be very careful how often you use them), and that they will need higher humidity and lower temps (especially at night).

I try to keep my basking under 80F, It is usually in the upper 70's F. You can run the basking hotter as long as they can get away from it to cool down.

I keep my Kinyongia on the cool side as Louis DeMais once told me, "The candle that burns twice as hot, lives half as long."

And like Carlton says, vitamins are important. No synthetic multivitamins. I use organic only using these ingredients: Bee pollen powder, Alfalfa Leaf, Dandelion leaf, Beet Root, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Papain, Betaine, Spirulina, Chlorella, Calcium Citrate, Magnesium Citrate, Milk Thistle, Black Cherry, Serrapeptase, Green Tea, Turmeric, Paprika,

Last edited:
I try to keep my basking under 80F, It is usually in the upper 70's F. You can run the basking hotter as long as they can get away from it to cool down.

I keep my Kinyongia on the cool side as Louis DeMais once told me, "The candle that burns twice as hot, lives half as long."

And like Carlton says, vitamins are important. No synthetic multivitamins. I use organic only using these ingredients: Bee pollen powder, Alfalfa Leaf, Dandelion leaf, Beet Root, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Papain, Betaine, Spirulina, Chlorella, Calcium Citrate, Magnesium Citrate, Milk Thistle, Black Cherry, Serrapeptase, Green Tea, Turmeric, Paprika,

Id really like to be able to create my own supplements, but I dont have the time. Ill just stick to commercial. Thanks a bunch.

Louis is a smart guy. I like that saying!

Whats your dusting schedule for the adults?

Because I use organic vitamins, I can do two to three times a week on the vitamins, with a light dusting of calcium/low D on every feeding otherwise. You can't do that with synthetics or you'll overdose them. ;)

I use organic only using these ingredients: Bee pollen powder, Alfalfa Leaf, Dandelion leaf, Beet Root, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Papain, Betaine, Spirulina, Chlorella, Calcium Citrate, Magnesium Citrate, Milk Thistle, Black Cherry, Serrapeptase, Green Tea, Turmeric, Paprika,

Interesting, I have a good portion of these on hand already for the dry gutload I make. You wouldn't be willing to share the parts per each of these would you? If not, Thanks anyway for giving us this much.

Interesting, I have a good portion of these on hand already for the dry gutload I make. You wouldn't be willing to share the parts per each of these would you? If not, Thanks anyway for giving us this much.

They are listed in order of volume. Bee pollen makes up more than half. I've done online research that shows that wild chameleons eat a ton of bees. I'm of the belief that since bee pollen is rich in vitamin B, it can help a lot of chams that are having edema problems. Edema is one of the first signs of a B deficiency. Dandelion leaf also reduces edema.

I can get them down to flour consistency with a coffee grinder and even finer in a ball mill.

And it smells delicious.

They are listed in order of volume. Bee pollen makes up more than half. I've done online research that shows that wild chameleons eat a ton of bees. I'm of the belief that since bee pollen is rich in vitamin B, it can help a lot of chams that are having edema problems. Edema is one of the first signs of a B deficiency. Dandelion leaf also reduces edema.

I can get them down to flour consistency with a coffee grinder and even finer in a ball mill.

And it smells delicious.

Thanks. Good info. I just recently tried the Super-Cal LoD and was amazed at how good that smelled. Same for the gutload I make, tempted to eat some of that myself. I swear the crickets and roaches eat better than I do.

When you say mountain species d you mean Jackson/s or Mount Meru Chams? I think they like showers also unlike the others.

When you say mountain species d you mean Jackson/s or Mount Meru Chams? I think they like showers also unlike the others.
This is correct,I showered mine once a week for 20-30 mins now I just run the mister for 20 mins straight on top the regular schedule on sat or Sunday when I'm home

When you shower, does he get all wet? Is there water dumping on his body like his about to bathe or is it spray mist water? Do they know how to breathe while the water is splashing on them?

Ever since I got Monsoon RS auto mister-- my veiled and the panther loves it-- they voluntarily stick their face into the water even when they aren't drinking the water.

On most days my Veiled loves it-- there are times I saw the mister go off and he runs to the corner because he doesn't want to get wet then again, they are from Yemen vs/ Jackson's where their environment is rainy in Tanzania

When you shower, does he get all wet? Is there water dumping on his body like his about to bathe or is it spray mist water? Do they know how to breathe while the water is splashing on them?

Ever since I got Monsoon RS auto mister-- my veiled and the panther loves it-- they voluntarily stick their face into the water even when they aren't drinking the water.

On most days my Veiled loves it-- there are times I saw the mister go off and he runs to the corner because he doesn't want to get wet then again, they are from Yemen vs/ Jackson's where their environment is rainy in Tanzania

I more or less let it spray off the wall. He'd allow a good bit to saturate him all over including his face,still does when the mister is on too.

Back
Top Bottom