More Kilgour Nosy Bes!

williamsrx

Hi all,
Thought I'd jump in on the Kilgour chamwagon and show my photos of a male and unrelated female Nosy Be that I got a few weeks ago from Tom. Some of you might remember that I bought a Sambava from him too, but he is no longer with me due to accidental poisoning (I'll share that in another thread when I get up the nerve -my fault totally).

Anyway, George and Gracie are doing great, although Gracie is outgrowing George at the moment. Both are still very skittish, which I'm learning is pretty much par for the course. Enjoy the photos, it's pretty easy to tell which ones are Gracie and which are George...

Chris

Attachments

• 4CDW0312web.jpg
    4CDW0312web.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 4CDW0327web.jpg
    4CDW0327web.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 4CDW0340web.jpg
    4CDW0340web.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 4CDW0359web.jpg
    4CDW0359web.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 175
  • 4CDW0369web.jpg
    4CDW0369web.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 136
The replacement Sambava died? Sorry. Things happen I'm sure.

Nice looking Be's. Planning on breeding them at some point?

The replacement Sambava died? Sorry. Things happen I'm sure.

Nice looking Be's. Planning on breeding them at some point?

I thought I might dip my toe into that breeding thing at some point. I'm always up for a challenge. With the experts on this forum I feel like I can do anything, you guys are great.

I had the replacement Sambava for 4 days, I woke up that morning and he looked terrible, sunken eyes, uncontrolled movements, and he died that afternoon. I mistakenly had an English Ivy plant in there until his bigger cage came in, and the only thing I can think of is that the silkworms that I fed him started munching on that ivy before he ate them, and he got poisoned by that. He died the next day after I fed him 2 small silkworms, which i placed on a leaf of the ivy. I beat myself up so bad for that and Tom really helped me gain my confidence back, so I owe him big time. These two seem to be doing great and the only thing that is different is that daggone English Ivy plant is gone, so it has to be that.

oh my, so sorry to hear about run of bad luck with your chameleons but am glad you are sticking with it and moving on. Can I ask a question in regards to the poisoning if you don't mind? Did you see that the silks had eaten that, I mean were the leaves chewed on ? I was not aware that silkworms would eat Ivy and if so, would like to learn from this if possible. Again, sorry you lost your chameleon. Looks like you got yourself a beautiful pair! Good luck with these guys!

Hi all,
Thought I'd jump in on the Kilgour chamwagon and show my photos of a male and unrelated female Nosy Be that I got a few weeks ago from Tom. Some of you might remember that I bought a Sambava from him too, but he is no longer with me due to accidental poisoning (I'll share that in another thread when I get up the nerve -my fault totally).

Anyway, George and Gracie are doing great, although Gracie is outgrowing George at the moment. Both are still very skittish, which I'm learning is pretty much par for the course. Enjoy the photos, it's pretty easy to tell which ones are Gracie and which are George...

Chris

He looks just like his brother! :)

oh my, so sorry to hear about run of bad luck with your chameleons but am glad you are sticking with it and moving on. Can I ask a question in regards to the poisoning if you don't mind? Did you see that the silks had eaten that, I mean were the leaves chewed on ? I was not aware that silkworms would eat Ivy and if so, would like to learn from this if possible. Again, sorry you lost your chameleon. Looks like you got yourself a beautiful pair! Good luck with these guys!

Carol, I know I replied in another section, but I thought I'd also do it here for those that were following it. I have no solid evidence that the silkworms ate any of the ivy, but I do know that my 3 month old Sambava looked fine the night he ate them, but the next day he was on a downward spiral unlike anything I've ever seen. Tom Kilgour, the breeder, and I both thought that the only variable was that ivy, so I suppose he could have eaten or somehow consumed some ivy some other way, but I'm pretty sure that ivy was to blame for his rapid demise, since my husbandry hasn't changed for these two new ones (except there isn't an English Ivy topiary in there anymore).

I found different accounts as to how toxic English Ivy actually is, so it's hard to know for sure, but to be looking/eating fine one day and dead the next is rare I think.

Take care,
Chris

What a difference 3 weeks and 1 shed makes!

I got George out for another photo shoot over the weekend, and his colors have really exploded! He is now 4 months old. He's a small guy, weighing in at only 9 grams, but seems quite healthy and eating otherwise. I'll post a Jan 21 photo and 2 photos 3 weeks later to show the colors coming in. Must be the DinoFuel...lol

Attachments

• 4CDW0379desktop.jpg
    4CDW0379desktop.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Feb12boy.jpg
    Feb12boy.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Feb12boy2.jpg
    Feb12boy2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 130
Chis you are doing awesome with them. That blue boy is going to be as blue as a smurf!

Thanks Tom, they are both doing quite well, in fact the female is 14gm, so she is bigger than he is! She is not as shy about eating, she starts catching crickets as soon as I put them in there, but he is very shy and doesn't really want me to watch him eat. The crickets disappear though, so he's tracking them down while I'm at work.

I hear all these stories of 4 month old Panthers being huge, so I keep thinking he should be bigger, but I guess they're all on their own pace.

Once again, thanks for raising great chameleons!

One more month has gone by and my babies are not such babies anymore! George is even getting some yellow on his lips, which was a welcome surprise when I got them out this weekend for a little shoot! Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1136web.jpg
    IMG_1136web.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1173web.jpg
    IMG_1173web.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1207web.jpg
    IMG_1207web.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1214web.jpg
    IMG_1214web.jpg