Monster isopod and questionable roach...

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Was going through the bugs today and got these pictures I thought I would share. A porcellio hoffmannseggi isopod and question mark roach.

That Hoff was huge, about 3 times larger than a large giant canyon. Saw a larger one in the bin even, but it got away from me. This one was pretty close though.

I think that may be my last question mark roach adult. I can't believe it, but already have tons of TINY nymphs in the substrate. These guys are beautiful and pretty easy to keep, but they are known for taking up to 2 years to reach adulthood :oops:. With warmth and good nutrition they seem to be able to get there in just under a year though.

Attachments

• 20200426_125717.jpg
    20200426_125717.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 20200426_130322.jpg
    20200426_130322.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 156
Holy cow, that hoff is huge! I tried to give charlie a medium/large dubia outside on a tree (hes been refusing them)... it escaped into the soil. Oh well.

Fast forward to a few days later and I had my son weeding that tree... guess what he finds? “Mah!!! What is that thing!? It looks like a huge rollie pollie bug!”

Yes son... uh... thats exactly what it is. Must have been a hoff :p

Just noticed that my second generation of question mark roaches are reaching adulthood. I got my first batch of older nymphs a year and a half ago, they molted into adulthood, laid ooths, and died off. Now their nymphs are making it to adulthood... I must be doing something right because they are said to take around 2 years from nymph to adult, but the process can be sped up with consistent warmth and a healthy diet.

On a side note, my roaches that are kept bioactively(almost all of them) do much better. They seem to get all of their water needs from the soil/humid side of their bins too.

I want, no NEED the question mark ones! I was supposed to be on your waiting list! Btw the deathheads i got about a year ago from you as nymphs are having babies galore now!

I want, no NEED the question mark ones! I was supposed to be on your waiting list! Btw the deathheads i got about a year ago from you as nymphs are having babies galore now!

Glad they're doing well for you! Yeah once I see a lot of adults, I'll let you know!

Back
Top Bottom