Moe is a Hawk Moth now!!!

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
The first week of March I had a huge hornworm that I ended up naming Moe. Since he became far too big for Beman over night I figured I would just try to get him to pupate. So he turned into a pupa around March 10th. I though for sure I killed him because it is only supposed to take like 20 days for them to emerge. But I just left him in the container hoping he would come out. Tonight I kept hearing something scratching. So I opened the bug cabinet and there Moe was. He must have just come out because I checked him earlier today and there was no sign.

This is by far one of the coolest things I have ever seen. So now he is hanging out on his fake tree in a large plastic tub. I put some sugar water in a dish with cotton balls for him. I can't wait to see what he looks like when his wings dry out.

57351055035__F045FE83-5E99-4367-A37B-5C93425985C4.JPG IMG_2975.JPG IMG_2976.JPG IMG_2977.JPG

That awesome!! Is it true they only breed with tomato plants present?
I have no clue lol. I know they will drink nectar from all kinds of flowers which actually cross pollinates like Bees do. So I think that’s pretty neat. They are nocturnal as well.

Way cool. :) I will have to try that with a hornworm. I have only done this with a few silk worms and the silk moths emerging. Blueberry loved the worms and the moths

That's so cool! Why haven't mine emerged yet?! Lol I checked the pupaes and they're still alive!
Well it took Moe 40 days.... Maybe with proper heat they emerge faster... I know the site I found with info said it took 19-23 days. I just had him in my bug cabinet in his container.

Back
Top Bottom