Moe is a Hawk Moth now!!!

This is so cool!! I put my humongous hornworms in my compost pile outside and let them eat to their hearts content...I keep hoping to find their pupae hanging out somewhere nearby :love:
They dig down in dirt to pupate. I had uncovered him without realizing I shouldn't.. Then they are supposed to dig their way back up through the soil and fly away.

Is naming him Moe supposed to be a pun??? Moe-hawk???
LOL no... When he got all chunky and fat I decided his name should be Moe. It stuck lol But I had never thought of the Moe Hawk.. Works for both stages of his life cycle. Too funny.

LOL no... When he got all chunky and fat I decided his name should be Moe. It stuck lol But I had never thought of the Moe Hawk.. Works for both stages of his life cycle. Too funny.
It's even better that it was unintentional :LOL:

Good eye you have! How is your little boy today?
He is doing alright. He finally came down off the screen and has been actually using the vines I set up so nicely for him :ROFLMAO: hes been basking for the last hour, but has only eaten one dubia for me :/ I'm trying to stay positive. I know he is still acclimating. I left some dubias and bsfl in a feeder cup for him, hoping he will help himself. So far no luck, but I'm also impatient so trying to keep myself away from his enclosure to give him some space to feel safe enough to eat.

He is doing alright. He finally came down off the screen and has been actually using the vines I set up so nicely for him :ROFLMAO: hes been basking for the last hour, but has only eaten one dubia for me :/ I'm trying to stay positive. I know he is still acclimating. I left some dubias and bsfl in a feeder cup for him, hoping he will help himself. So far no luck, but I'm also impatient so trying to keep myself away from his enclosure to give him some space to feel safe enough to eat.
how many did you put in the cup?

3 bsfl and like 6 dubia I think. I didnt want to put a ton in there considering I'm having a hard time getting him to eat a lot anyway.
hmmm dubia don't move much... but will move more if there are more in there. At his age he will eat a lot as well. May want to put more in so that the movement of them is more noticeable for him.

A dubia managed to crawl out of the cup and was just sitting on the vine next to Pesto, just hanging out together :rolleyes: am I doing something wrong to make him not want to eat??
Was the breeder feeding dubia? what kind of cup are you using that it could crawl out?

hmmm dubia don't move much... but will move more if there are more in there. At his age he will eat a lot as well. May want to put more in so that the movement of them is more noticeable for him.
Ok, will do. I know he is supposed to be eating like 10-15 a day which is why I'm getting concerned. Hoping he is still just getting used to the new place and will be eating well in the next few days.

Was the breeder feeding dubia? what kind of cup are you using that it could crawl out?
The breeder was feeding crickets, but when I offered crickets earlier he wanted nothing to do with them. After, I offered dubias and he took one from me so I decided to put those in there. It's a small deli cup. Guess I'm going to have to upgrade to something bigger.

The breeder was feeding crickets, but when I offered crickets earlier he wanted nothing to do with them. After, I offered dubias and he took one from me so I decided to put those in there. It's a small deli cup. Guess I'm going to have to upgrade to something bigger.
Take a picture of it. Because dubia typically can not crawl up plastic. You may wanna throw some crickets in there as well. Just because they move more. It will take him a few days to settle in as well.

Back
Top Bottom