Mixing normal calcium with d3? And treats for a baby panther

hannah8288

We got our first panther chameleon around a month ago and he/she is about three months old now. We had the idea to mix the normal calcium supplement with the d3 in a ration of 5:2, and we keep this mixture in a flour shaker to dust the crickets daily. Just wondering if this is a suitable method or if we should actually be feeding the two seperately without eachother?
We were also wondering what other insects we can offer apart from small crickets, bearing in mind that our baby's still tiny, thankyou!! :)

We got our first panther chameleon around a month ago and he/she is about three months old now. We had the idea to mix the normal calcium supplement with the d3 in a ration of 5:2, and we keep this mixture in a flour shaker to dust the crickets daily. Just wondering if this is a suitable method or if we should actually be feeding the two seperately without eachother?
We were also wondering what other insects we can offer apart from small crickets, bearing in mind that our baby's still tiny, thankyou!! :)

Congrats on the baby!

You'd want to keep them separate ideally. Pure calcium every day, vitamins/d3 twice a month. With the mix there's a chance he could be getting more of the d3 than calcium some days (just by random chance). So I would personally split it up.

If he is ~3 months old, he should almost be eating 1/2", definitely 1/4" by now. You can try ; dubia, silkworms or phoenix worms. These are all healthy feeders.

I use three separate supplements. Plain calcium daily. Multivitamin twice a month and calcium with d3 twice a month. As said above mixing them wouldn't give consistancy. Chams are very sensitive to d3. You might want to look into gut loading your inscects to give him more nutrients. Check out sandrachameleons blogs on here.
Welcome to the forum.:)

What brands are they? Some can be used much more often than others (minerall with D3 can be used just about every feeding when compared to repcal which is recommended for twice a month.)

depending on the brands, this may work, if mixed well/consistently.
however, keep in mind that the one with D3 will expire, whereas the one that is purely minerals will not. So I would not pre-mix more than what you plan to use up within a month or two.
You may find it easier to put the crickets in to a small container that contains a small amount of the supoplement dust, and the swirl/shake the container to light coat the crickets, rather than trying to use a shaker to sprinkle dust on moving targets

I use a bud vase to dust. High sides and small diameter keeps Crickets in and I just need a wee bit of supplement. And I just stick the tube from the cricket keeper into the vase and tap it to get the number I want.

I use the Repashy Calcium Plus All in One at every feeding.

I use the Repashy Calcium Plus All in One at every feeding.

are you using the original/medium or the low dose?
I (and many others) feel the original Repashy Calcium Plus is too potent for daily use. Once weekly is sufficient (with a vitamin free calcium as needed the rest of the week)

Back
Top Bottom