Mites?????!!!!

brownie64

Avid Member
Was feeding the chams today, and I see some microscopic movement. The best guess I have is spider mites because of the tiny holes in the plants. Soooo what does this mean do I have tare everything out and start over? If I have to take the plants out I might as well because they are all entwined in the vines. This really sucks I have had that Pothos for nearly 20 years! If there is anyone who knows how to get rid of these buggers without removing the plants I'm all ears. I think the problem lies with the fact I have to keep it so humid in their environment, and we know how moisture draws bugs.

Feltiella acarisuga and Mite Destroyers are two options. Feltiella acarisuga are a type of midge that will take care of the issue and Mite Destroyers are a small little beetle that will wipe mites out quick. I would take the plant out of the enclosure and put the Mite Destroyers on it. They will finish the work in probably less than a week....and when there is no more food, they will simply leave. No muss no fuss.

Well I looked at one up close with a magnifying glass, and even though they are as small as a mite the look more like an aphid. Not real sure what they are just know they are eating little holes in my plant. You guys have any idea what they could be? Oh and the move pretty fast too much faster than a mite.

I would pull the plant out of the cage, put it in the bath tub, mix some Dawn dich soap in to water and spray down the entire plant (back and front of every leave). Then I would shower the plant down thoroughly with lukewarm water. Good luck!

Well I could do that for the schefflera, but it's a no go for the pothos. I have it planted in a substrate with the leaves wrapped around all the vines it would most likely kill it if I tried to take it out. How about green lacewing larva?

I have scoured the internet, and the only thing that comes close to these guys is a springtail. Everything I have read about these guys is they are beneficial especially in a vivarium type setting unless their numbers get out of control. Has anyone herd of springtails causing trouble with house plants?

No, I don't think springtails would eat holes through the plants leaves. I have them in a bunch of planted enclosures, and they've never done that. As far as I know they eat decaying plant matter and mold.

Something I've read about on the frog forums, is using dry ice to kill pest bugs in a planted viv. The viv has to be completely sealed to keep the gas in, though. I was going to try it, to save a hibiscus, but the store I was going to buy the ice from stopped carrying it.

Last edited:
Do you remember how long this process takes it sounds like the best solution yet. My guy down at the pet store can keep them for me until its all done as long as it don't take like a week or something like that. He would probably keep them that long I just couldn't let them out of my sight that long. Thank you:)

I'm pretty sure it's 24 hours, and best of all leaves no toxic residue. I'll try to look up the link for it. If I find it, I'll post it here. :)

I hate to suggest this, but organic marijuana growers likely have this figured out, hands down. You might look up some forums in that community and see if there are recommendations.

I heard female crickets like to eat those, naybe you can try it out. lady bugs may like them too.

I heard female crickets like to eat those, naybe you can try it out. lady bugs may like them too.
I thought about lady bugs but I'm pretty sure they are poisonous to lizards. And as far as the female crickets go maybe that is why they only seem to be on the females side of the enclosure. I free range feed the male he still new, and likes to hunt.

I thought about lady bugs but I'm pretty sure they are poisonous to lizards. And as far as the female crickets go maybe that is why they only seem to be on the females side of the enclosure. I free range feed the male he still new, and likes to hunt.
I don´t really know, praymanties eat them so maybe it isn´t posinous

Back
Top Bottom