Mites in superworm oats

I guess I shouldn't say they do, only that they can. There are studies that show common hissers decline when their mite populations explode, as they can cause irritation in the spaces between the exoskeleton plates. They also cause death when an overwhelming number of mites begin to clog the 'pores' (I forget the actual term) through which roaches breathe. To be more correct, I should say high mite populations have the potential to cause irritation
Ahhhh I think I saw something about that mentioned before, can't remember. Makes sense. I don't know if it'd bother superworms though?

Ahhhh I think I saw something about that mentioned before, can't remember. Makes sense. I don't know if it'd bother superworms though?
I know they're vastly different insects, but I figure the chinks in their little big armor may have similar sensitivities. Just guessing though, and I'm not keen enough to do a full experiment if it means fostering grain mites for an extended period of time. Maybe in the future though!

I know they're vastly different insects, but I figure the chinks in their little big armor may have similar sensitivities. Just guessing though, and I'm not keen enough to do a full experiment if it means fostering grain mites for an extended period of time. Maybe in the future though!
Grain mite colonies, the next big thing

Grain mite colonies, the next big thing
Hey, with my current collection (including some pest species), you never know! Plus I can do see questionable things in the name of science (see all the bugs who risked their lives to test that things like MosquitoBits and pea flour wouldn't harm the larger colonies...)

I have never had this problem in all the years I have grown mealworms and superworms but I read about it a lot. I keep the tubs open and do not add more than a small portion of vegetable at a time and let them eat that before adding more. Maybe the excess moisture in tubs is causing this? They need moisture from the vegetables but they do not need excess moisture leaving the tops off let's the moisture escape the bin. I like ground medication free chicken feed as it is not expensive and has more nutritional value than something like oats.

I have never had this problem in all the years I have grown mealworms and superworms but I read about it a lot. I keep the tubs open and do not add more than a small portion of vegetable at a time and let them eat that before adding more. Maybe the excess moisture in tubs is causing this? They need moisture from the vegetables but they do not need excess moisture leaving the tops off let's the moisture escape the bin. I like ground medication free chicken feed as it is not expensive and has more nutritional value than something like oats.
I raised mealworms the same way many years ago when I had my first chams. I never had a problem either. I used chicken laying mash. I didn’t even add any vegetables. I didn’t know any better but they flourished like that. I had an unending supply of all sizes of mealworms.

Back
Top Bottom