Mites in superworm oats

Hey all,

I was just cleaning out the bin of oats I keep super worms in and discovered a ton of mites living amongst them. I was wondering if this is something to be concerned about? And if so, what should I do?

Thanks!

Sorry you are doomed. Release the horde into the wild and start over. Its really hard to get rid of them, and takes weeks with hours worth of work, to save like $15 in worms...

Mites won't hurt the bugs, but can cause irritation in large enough quantities. Pea flour kills grain mites, though you need it to make up roughly 10% of the mix. Your best bet is to microwave and toss.the current substrate, then move the worms to a new one of your choice. As mentioned above, many of the typical grain substrates are counter indicted with nutrient binding, so keep that in mind. Supers do fine with a coco coir substrate and fresh veggies laid on top

Mites won't hurt the bugs, but can cause irritation in large enough quantities. Pea flour kills grain mites, though you need it to make up roughly 10% of the mix. Your best bet is to microwave and toss.the current substrate, then move the worms to a new one of your choice. As mentioned above, many of the typical grain substrates are counter indicted with nutrient binding, so keep that in mind. Supers do fine with a coco coir substrate and fresh veggies laid on top
What do they irritate? Not that I disagree, just curious

I guess I shouldn't say they do, only that they can. There are studies that show common hissers decline when their mite populations explode, as they can cause irritation in the spaces between the exoskeleton plates. They also cause death when an overwhelming number of mites begin to clog the 'pores' (I forget the actual term) through which roaches breathe. To be more correct, I should say high mite populations have the potential to cause irritation

Back
Top Bottom