Mistking, Sleep, and flies questions

Stephikins

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther, Male, 6-7 months, had for 3 1/2 months.
Handling - Once a week to take him outside on the weekend. He's not that aggressive and comes out easily. Sometimes more because we let him free range a little and I'll put him back in his cage if its late or if I am leaving.
Feeding - He gets 8 crickets and currently a mix of supers and mealworms occasionally throughout the week. The feeders other than crickets change. I gutload with josh's frogs gutload & carrots, apples, squash, etc..
Supplements - Rep Cal brands, I dust with calcium w/o d3 6 days a week. 1 day week no dusting. & Calcium w/ d3 1-2 a month, Multivitamin once a month.
Watering - I have a dripper that runs all day. I mist about 5 times a day for about 40 seconds. I do see him drinking by shooting at the dripping water.
Fecal Description - Normal, Large & white end. He has never been tested.
History -

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen. Reptarrium 260. 29x29x71. With ability to free range during the day.
Lighting - Reptisun 10.0, plant light tube 65k, plant light cfl (pointed down just below middle of cage), & 60w basking light. lights on at 7:20, Lights off at 7:40.
Temperature - Cage floor is 74, Basking is 87, mid is 80, Lowest overnight 72. Measure using reptile digital reader.
Humidity - Humidity is 50% but we leave a humidifier on sometimes to get it to 75%. Just ordered a mistking. We have lots of live plants & there is plastic covering 3 of the bottom walls (he hardly goes down to the level where they are). use same digital reader.
Plants - Yes, Confederate Rose Hibiscus, and 3 pothos.
Placement - In bed room, in front of window (unfortunately the window does not get much sun) There is a fan in the room that is usually on. Top height is 71 inches off the floor. Not too high traffic since we work and go to school.
Location - Orlando, FL

Current Problem -
1. I have ordered a mistking ultimate set-up w/ zip drip valve. I realize I may have over ordered since I only have 1 cage. I was wondering what is the optimal schedule to set it? Should I just use one nozzle?

2. I do take showers at night & sometimes I notice that he is awake in the cage. I think it's because of the bathroom light. How bad is it to occasionally wake a chameleon at night? Any solutions? Is it ok to put a sheet over his cage at night?

3. How do I get rid of those little white flies that keep growing back on plants. I have used soap, a plant cleaner, just water. I have wiped down every leave once a month for the past 3 months and nothing. I heard putting earth worms in the soil helps. And putting the plant in direct high sunlight kills them off. Is that true?

Thanks. I was a beginner who got an advanced pet but he seems to be doing great because of this forum.

In this pic, the basking light is off right now because our a/c just broke so its like 85+ in our house right now :(
photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

I like to mist three times a day with at least three hours in between to keep if from becoming a marsh. My normal humidity is around 50% with the plants in the cage. With three 2 minute auto mistings it goes to around 85% then gets back to around 50%. I dont like them to get misted before the basking bulbs go off at night because I worry about them getting cold. Im sure others will offer advice about waking them up at night. I do it on accident every now and then and am interested in what people are going to say. As for the bugs are they hatching from the soil of your plants in the cage?

I can help you on the sleeping question. Yes, you can put something over the cage the at night. They like it dark. My cage is next to my computer and I am on it many times during the evening. As soon as the lights go out I drape a big towel over the cage. As soon, as I do this I notice his colors start brigthening up right away so it must make him feel more comfortable.

photo3.jpg

The bugs are on the leaves.

I have even used the following to try and get rid of them and they keep coming back - PHYSAN 20™ is a broad range disinfectant, fungicide, virucide, and algaecide which effectively controls a wide variety of pathogens on hard surfaces and plants. Its applications include greenhouses; hard surfaces; lawn and turfgrass; seedlings and cut flowers; decorative fountains, pools and birdbaths; and plants.

Thanks about the sheet. I will start doing that.

What do those bugs look like? Can't really tell. A white spot? Also do they move? Just curious as my cham has a few small white "bumps" on him that looks like skin that I tried to "swipe" off but couldn't. Haven't noticed any on plants though. Can't really take pics because my camera will not focus that close in.

I don't have a drainage system in place so I have my mistking set to go off every few hours through out the day (6 times i think) for about 45 seconds to a minute each time so I don't flood my cage out and it dries out in between mistings and before lights out. I have a 24wx24wx48h cage and I run 2 nozzles and it seems to work well for my setup. My cham is a very heavy sleeper and once lights go out nothing seems to disturb her at all so I don't cover her enclosure.

The bugs are little white flies. The picture is mostly of the eyes but after a little while little bug are flying around.

About little white bumbs that look like skin probably are left over pieces from shedding. My panther had a piece for like a week and half but it eventually fell off.

Thank you for the misting schedules so glad my set-up is finally going to be self-sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom