Misting Systems?

i just did the math and it was like $18 give or take.

and might i say the $16.50 timer works good enough for me.
i dont no what the $80 one has on it that makes it better,
but if someone knows then please tell me.

Funny timing on this question. I just answered this in a PM, so i thought I would just share what I wrote up.

First off, here is the said timer for this discussion:

http://www.herpmist.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=11

The $88.00 timer was a bit intimidating for me, I want sure if it was worth it or not, so I will explain what it does and how it works, and you can decide if thats what you want to go with or not. There are 2 knobs on the unit - the "duration" or "on" time.. which ranges from 10 seconds to i believe 1 hr. I have mine set for 10 mins.

The second knob is the "off time" where you tell it how long it remains inactive for before turning back on. I set mine to 3 hrs, but again, it can range from like 10 seconds to like, 8 hrs.

Once you set the two, there is a day and night switch, and the unit has a light sensor. I set mine to just "day" and not "both" (day and night) Basically when my lighting system switches on from its auto timer, the unit recognizes the light, and kicks on for 10 mins. It is then off for 3 hrs, and then kicks back on for 10 mins.

Now the advantage is that it repeats forever. Every 3 hrs (or whatever you set it to), its on for 10 mins (or whatever you set it to) If that is what you are looking for, its PERFECT.

Here is the said (cheaper) timer for this discussion:

http://www.herpmist.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=10

Here is how the cheaper one works: You have to manually set EACH time, for EACH day, x7 for the week. I would imagine that it might take like, an hour just to set it up, whereas the auto timer i have takes literally 3 seconds. If you are looking for alternate times during the day - lets say .. at 9 am mist for 2 mins, then at like 1 pm, 10 mins, and then again at 5 pm, 2 mins.. then you would have to get this unit and program that in. If you want the convince and consistency EVERY day at the same times, then go with the more expensive one.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the timers. I will say that i was a bit hesitant at first, and not sure if it is what I wanted, but after using it for 2 weeks now, I LOVE IT. At $88.00 its a bit steep, but then again, we are not exactly in a "cheap" hobby. If you are looking to maximize the efficiency of your husbandry practices, consider it money well spent. If you are on a budget, then yes, there are probably an infinite number of other products out there that might work better for you, feel free to research all you want!

Last edited:
Here is the said (cheaper) timer for this discussion:

http://www.herpmist.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=10

Here is how the cheaper one works: You have to manually set EACH time, for EACH day, x7 for the week. I would imagine that it might take like, an hour just to set it up, whereas the auto timer i have takes literally 3 seconds. If you are looking for alternate times during the day - lets say .. at 9 am mist for 2 mins, then at like 1 pm, 10 mins, and then again at 5 pm, 2 mins.. then you would have to get this unit and program that in. If you want the convince and consistency EVERY day at the same times, then go with the more expensive one.

that does help.

but what you say isnt quite true. you dont have to set every single day
indepently. there is a button that will change the days of week to
pretty much any combination you want. you just have to cycle threw them.
you can have everything go off every day at the same time, which i have.
i like this because when it gets hot in the summer i can make the hottest
part of the day more "rainy" then the rest so he wont be extreamly hot.

you get to set eight individual times for on off. and the shortest is one
minute. and eight is enough for me. i dont even use all eight i have them go
off for like 5 minutes or more depending on time of day every two hours
and it works out well.

now you have both ideas to sort out what timer you need.

that does help.

but what you say isnt quite true. you dont have to set every single day
indepently. there is a button that will change the days of week to
pretty much any combination you want. you just have to cycle threw them.
you can have everything go off every day at the same time, which i have.
i like this because when it gets hot in the summer i can make the hottest
part of the day more "rainy" then the rest so he wont be extreamly hot.

you get to set eight individual times for on off. and the shortest is one
minute. and eight is enough for me. i dont even use all eight i have them go
off for like 5 minutes or more depending on time of day every two hours
and it works out well.

now you have both ideas to sort out what timer you need.

Thanks for the correction! I certainly didn't know that about the other timer, my research was limited to what I could read, so i stand corrected, ty! Either option looks great.

The question is, can I get one that plays a little thunder sound right before it mists. Like the ones in the produce section of grocery stores :D j/k

I have a herpmist and it works fine for me. I looked at Mist king and it looks almost exactly the same.
I didn't buy any screen adapters b/c i had a sheet of lexan lying around. I just made my own; two small holes for screws, and one larger hole for the nozzle.

Jason,
If your in this to make money then I'd walk away. Your only going to make things worse by posting, not to mention stressing yourself out by reading threads that pertain to your product...Any decent online dealer will tell you the same.

There are a few people here, just like every where that thrives on keeping the fire going...

walk away man, if your serous then try sponsoring a\this forum.

Good luck man..

Mark

Cumulative responses/comments:

It was way too early in the morning...I meant to type "Sanitation". :)

The Hobbyist pump will run at least 16 and probably more nozzles. It's just a baseline for comparison. Very few people need the higher output Breeder pump. It would be a waste of energy and money to use it on most systems. Even larger setups like Chad's do just fine with the Hobbyist. However, if you are starting with twenty cages, you might as well start with the larger pump. Of course, there's always a trade in route, too.

Josh, you could run both of those cages with one nozzle a piece, no problem. I have two in my 4x2x2 cage and it's more than covered. It's incredibly easy to add more later.

mdrossncsu, That's funny about the thunder. It would cost about $9 to add cheap parts to do that on my upcoming timer, but I don't think most people would go for it. I could always add an external dry contact closure to trigger an external device, though!

Timer Differences - The posts are correct. The digital one is more of a PITA to set and has a one minute resolution, but it can do different misting times. The ART-DNe Repeat Cycle Timer is amazingly simple to set and adjust (just turn the knobs), built in Riverside, California, and comes with a three year warranty. I really admire the design from an industrial standpoint. It has almost everything that I was going to design into my rev.1 timer/controller that's on the breadboard right now. Just fantastically built by a great company.

yea i will comment the timer jason sells is the same one they sell at my hydroponic store.

the night sensor can be wrong, and sometimes it goes off when you turn the lights off and its tucked away, which is why you need to mount it near your cage lights so no matter what it stays on, is there an override to this i'm not sure

Monday is approach, my room is coming together fantastically, the reptile show is saturday, which ever misting system I choose will be shipped monday, and I'm starting to feel good, in comparison to feeling like I'm on the chameleon clock

I love the Idea of the Thunder!!!! That would be so BAD ASS! I love it when I'm picking out stuff to gutload in the prodice section and you faintly hear the thunder rolling in before the misters turn on... I think that would be a fun feature for a setup... Jason I would pay the extra for that definately... Just to add something cool and different to a setup. Awesome Idea mdross!

i have to say the art dne repeat timer is excellent especially with its warranty it really is a quality product. I've used mine for a while now and never had a problem. I bought it because its able to stay on for less than a minute.

im buying my misting system here soon cuz i just got my stimulus check in the mail, yippyyy!!!

i am going with herpmist, cuz i like their logo at the top of this page and jason seems cool. expect my order soon.

im buying my misting system here soon cuz i just got my stimulus check in the mail, yippyyy!!!

i am going with herpmist, cuz i like their logo at the top of this page and jason seems cool. expect my order soon.

I just got my stimulus also and Im buying the herpmist today :D

cool! jason is great, real pleasure doing business with. i bought the big enchilada system, best bang for your buck IMO.

The art dne repeat timer is excellent especially with its warranty

Yup, all of Custom Automated Products' items are top shelf stuff! The ART DNe is the best one on the market, too. CAP's staff is great and was eager to learn about how we use them. Heck, I've never sold anything but those timers and the regional rep still took the time to look me up to meet with me when they were in town last week. Even gave me a TMP-DNe to try out.

I'm going to investigate their HUM-1 Humidity Controller, too. It's a humidity controller with outlets for a humidifier and a dehumidifier. Just set the knob to your target range. I don't know if it would work with misting since it puts a lot more water into the air quicker than a humidifier, but it's worth a shot!

Funny guys, too. They thought the "herp" was a typo when they setup my account, so they changed it to a "b". Now, I'm sure I'm on some government list!

Josh & tru, you all have great timing. The skyrocketing price of oil raised my cost on the reservoirs by $4.53, so you squeaked by before I could update the cart!

Back
Top Bottom