Misting schedule

AFH

Avid Member
What are your opinions on frequency and length of misting?
Would five 5 minute mistings (as an example) spaced through the day be better or a couple few minute mistings (say 3 minutes) an one long one (15 minutes) in the middle be better?

yeah i would say so. montane species require a higher humidity and im sure more sessions per day would be much better in keeping them. Ive never kept one so i couldnt recommend an proven schedule but theres alot of users on here that are experienced with pretty much every montane there is lol (cough trace) and im sure they could help you.

'bump'

Come on, people. There's got to be more than 2-3 people that use an automated mister system. What's your misting schedule?

Im still eagrly awaiting mine in the mail :( Im thinking that the two lighter sessions in the morning and afternoon would work great, and then a longer 15 min one in the middle? So like, 8am, 2 mins - 1pm 15 mins, and then 6pm another 2 mins? That gives you 2 hrs for it to dry out before lights off at 8 pm.

Im gonna try that and see how it works out. Sven drinks INSTANTLY at the 6:00 misting when I get home from work, so im thinking that the 1pm would also work great, and a nice long period to really get it soaked till I am home from work.

When I had my veiled, the schedule was this:
8:00 am - mist for 5 minutes
12:00pm - mist for 20 minutes
3:00 pm - mist for 10 minutes

Make sure that there is time for the cage to completely dry out before your cham goes to sleep. A cage that is wet all the time will build up bacteria faster.

How about some more info...

What misting systems do you guys/gals use? With what species? Do you use any other methods of hydration - drippers, hand watering, etc. - or does misting do enough? What type of water do you use- filtered, softened, hard, etc? Where are your misting nozzles placed in your cage?

I saved up and bought a pm-60. It was the best investment I ever made. It will handle the job. All I have to do now is fill the resovour and keep it clean. I also mixed up the nozzles. I have one pro mist nozzle that sprays heavy and one nozzle from mist king. The mist king nozzle sprays a very micro fine mist. My cham is a veiled but the mist king nozzle would be perfect for a leaf cham or baby. I also put a few drops of repti safe conditioner into the water. That breaks up the chlorine.

I have my mister going 4xs a day during the summer months and 3xs a day during the winter...I have 2 panthers.

Summer light schedule is from 8am-9pm with the mister going from (No humidifier)

9am (10min)
12pm (5min)
3pm (5min)
6pm (10min)

Winter light schedule is from 8am - 7pm with the mister going from (Using humidifier)

9:30am (10min)
1:30pm (5min)
5:30pm (5min)

Howdy,

I am currently running two sessions of 15 minutes each, one at 8am and the other at 2pm. I've found that 15 minutes gives enough time for my adult Panther and Veiled to choose to drink and or shower.

After watching years of other people's chameleons, some that do well and others that do poorly with whatever levels of hydration they were supplied, I've come to the current conclusion that understanding your chameleon's actual hydration requirements is important in that while 2 minutes may work just fine with one chameleon, it may take 5-10-15-20 minutes or more to satisfactorily hydrate another. I may be able to cut the time of these misting sessions down but I prefer to error on the side of long sessions. They have never exhibited any signs of dehydration. I feel that this level of access to misted water has contributed to their thriving rather than just surviving.

I like the www.herpmist.com, www.pro-products.com and www.mistking.com pumps that all have the same look. They have a tiny adjustment screw that allow the pressure to be set to a lower value of about 30-40psi. This pressure still delivers plenty of water without going overboard for my needs.

PantherDrinking3.jpg

Thanks, Dave. I've got the Herpmist and did dial it down some. I agree that different chams have different needs. I've notice that a couple of mine tend to have more yellow urate that the others. Not dehydration levels, but generally more. I may adjust the schedule for a long midday spray and see what happens with them.

I mist at 9am, 12 and 4pm for 5 mins each time minimum. If its any shorter then he doesn't start to drink and gets dehydrated. I put his dripper on at 6pm for an hour and he usually drinks from that especially if he has been out in his tree in the sun :)

That is the biggest lesson I have learnt from this forum...I am not sure of the thread or the poster but it was about misting and how sometimes chams wont start drinking unless misted for a longer time.

I never really understood the relevance of misting and I used to give him maybe 1 or 2 mins max and never really saw him drink unless he was really thirsty but after reading that thread I misted him for over 5 mins to get his drinking response going and that was the big difference...he drinks nearly every time and it would have only been a matter of time before he got sick from from my old shorter routine.

I am lucky as I work from home so I mist with a hand mister filled with warm water but I will be buying a auto mister this week as I am going away for a week on a business trip.

I do 2 30 minute sessions a day with hot water straight from the tap. During the summer when they are outside i increase the time depending on how hot it will be that day. I use hot water because its a super fine mist and its just nice and warm when it hits them and they seem to enjoy it.

wow there very expensive. i love my guy a lot but i thinkill stick to misting him by hand for now 3 times a day plus a dripper should do the trick. the only thing is ive never seen him drink, but he must drink cause his poops are normal no yellow showing

Back
Top Bottom