Misting question

Grasshopper

My grandma surprised me with this automatic mister. I wanted to go with the mist king but I dont think she understood what I was wanting. I want to use this because I dont want to hurt her feelings. But after his light come on a few minutes later I mist his enclosure. Should I set it for 6 hours so it mist once more before bed time or every three hours then at bed time his light go off at 8pm so wait until 8:30pm and set it for 12 hours and it will go off 30 minuets after his light comes on. I was wondering what setting should I set it on? What hour setting? How long should the mist go? Hes four months and hes in a 27"×27"×3

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190409-150711_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190409-150711_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 127
You could wait until you have a weekend play around with it and see where your needs are. How many times a day do you mist and for how long? Try it on your hand misting schedule but lengthen the duration to suit your humidity levels. Things we dont know will change the advice given. How hot is its or what are you humidity levels now? What are you outdoor conditions? These factors will influence how often you should be misting.

His humidity sits between 40-60 during the day I live in south Texas so it's pretty hot out right now. When I mist I used to for a minuet but the humidity would reach 75 so I started misty for 30 seconds. I mist once around 8:30am (his lights come on at 8 so I give him some time to warm up and move around) I mist agian around 3pm and once more at 7pm. Lights out at 8pm. His enclosure right now is 75°F and basking is at 85.3°F right now. Measured with digital humdity/temp gauges and qith my temp gun.

His humidity sits between 40-60 during the day I live in south Texas so it's pretty hot out right now. When I mist I used to for a minuet but the humidity would reach 75 so I started misty for 30 seconds. I mist once around 8:30am (his lights come on at 8 so I give him some time to warm up and move around) I mist agian around 3pm and once more at 7pm. Lights out at 8pm. His enclosure right now is 75°F and basking is at 85.3°F right now. Measured with digital humdity/temp gauges and qith my temp gun.

Is your enclosure made of screen or glass?

What type of chameleon do you own? It sounds like youve got the right tools. I did some school at Fort Sam. I Love Texas! If you have a veild we can try to tag in @Beman or @CamoChameleonsHuman who can really help you dial in you set-up. Been reading a bunch of their stuff and its great info. I have a panther and live in California. Similar heat issues. Mine stays around 60% most of the time with little misting. Still mist 3 times a day various lengths.

There are two really tough things you'll have to deal with with the ReptiRain system:

(1) It's constructed horribly and is very low quality. It will get clogged or break for no obvious reason in less than 6 months probably. I had one of these when I started keeping chameleons ~10 years ago and honestly found it to be more of a pain than it was worth. I ended up switching to hand misting because I found it so frustrating.

(2) The customization is extremely limited. The longest misting time you can do is only 60 seconds, which is not nearly long enough for most chameleons (especially if kept in screen). Misting sessions really need to be 2+ minutes in length to be as effective as possible, so with the ReptiRain I would definitely opt for a "the more the merrier" attitude

If you have a Veiled. Honestly how often you mist is going to depend on your overall humidity level and device being used. I prefer to have 3 misting sessions a day. Once about an hour after lights are on, then about 4 hours or so later, and then about an hour before the lights go off. I do 2 minute sessions. You want the enclosure to totally dry out between mistings. I happen to live where it is really humid so I had to get a dehumidifier to bring down the humidity level in the room my guy is in. Otherwise my daytime levels were way too high. You want a daytime high of 30-50% and then at night it can skyrocket. If you have high levels this is the thread I did for what I was dealing with and how I am correcting it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lower-humidity-levels-with-dehumidifier.168597/

Honestly using the search function in the forum is going to give you a ton of fantastic info. The one thing I have learned is that what works well for one person living in one area may not work at all for another person living in another part of the country. So it is important to dial in all your settings to accommodate your species, your set up, and your location. :)

Thank you @krikinit that was a very nice comment :)

It's a screen enclosure, and he is a veiled 4 months old. I also mist 3 times a day I try not to let the humidity go over 70% but with him shedding i let it reach 70 to help him. I really wanted to go with the mistking i have heard nothing but good about it. I figured i will use this one for a little (or until it messes up) and get one. I have read reviews about them messing up, I just didnt have the heart to tell my grandma to return it, she was so happy she got one for me because I've been talking about it for a while now. She got it delivered to my house and then called me and said suprise man I was hoping for a mist king. She comes to visit often so I know she will want to see it set up so after a month or so I'm going to get the mistking and keep the other one close by. Thanks guys for all the amazing advice.

You have a very thoughtful grandma!
She is my rock. Shes also into reptiles and insects and animals. She has 21 trantulas, 2 bearded dragons, 15 anole's, 2 savanna monitors, a python, two blue dart frogs, a pac man toad, 2 hissing cockroaches, 2 crested geckos, and 6 dogs. Not about to get started on what she has out on the farm lol. She is actually the reason I have all my babies. I love her to pieces.

Back
Top Bottom