Minimum temp for outdoor real sun basking

Echoezra

Established Member
So, just starting to see some real sun trying to peek out at us the last few days and getting anxious for the good weather to hurry up and get here. In anticipation for sharing some rays with my new chameleons someday hopefully not too far away from now - wondering what minimum temp to be looking for before i can take them outside for some sunnyshine?

In direct sunlight I would not take my "LiL" Buddy out til 65 degrees.. Make sure there is No cold wind either, I took him out last week for a couple of hours he loved it!!

I live in Florida and have had my chameleon out when it was around 60 plus degrees and he was fine. I did not leave him outside all day in that temp but maybe for a half hour or longer to bask in the sun.

Okay, thanks, now what about if there IS a breeze? Because my yard almost always has a breeze of some sort, except smack dab in the middle of the summer usually, but last summer though there was hardly a day without a breeze. (they just built this area's first wind turbines right behind my backyard lol)

Dont worry, I plan to be extra careful to weigh down the cages so they don't blow over, for sure, or I was also considering just taking turns with netting over my old hibiscus tree thats planted in the yard when it's just shorter outings.

Also when it's a cooler day like that, in spring, do you still need to be concerned about providing a shaded area, or are we to assume they'll just want to stay in the sun anyway since it's not very warm?

for me when it was colder like that alls he wanted to do was bask. I still think though they should have the opportunity to get out of the sun and uvb if they choose to. Do you have a panther or veild? Just asking cause I know the panthers are native to Madagascar and they have several months out of the year where the ambient temp ranges in the 50's.

Panthers - I have a ten-month-old mitsio, and a 3 month old faly. Only had them for two weeks, so far.

They should be fine in the 60's then, just not for long periods of time but good to soak up some natural sunlight for sure. I usually kinda go, if I am cold sitting outside in the sun, then my chameleon will be cold too.

That's basically what I was thinking, but I just wasn't sure, especially with the little one. I figured as long as they had the sun shining right on them, they'd probably be okay for maybe a half hour or so. Luckily, I'm a big wimp for getting cold, lol, so I'll probably want to go in before they will! Haha.

I will take my guys out in the direct sun even in the 50's for 30 minutes or so. Their body temp will be much higher in the direct sun.

I might add that my guys are adults.

I just think because he/she is a baby that they tend to be more sensitive to temps hot or cold, that's all.

Right right, no that's what I meant, I was just asking then how would you be mire careful exactly - like not go out at all till 5 degrees warmer? 10 degrees? Or still go out but only for 15 minutes? 5 minutes? That kind of thing.

I was thinking on the lines of not leaving him out as long as your older chameleon if it was cold. But that is probably just what I would do. You have to think, the babies in the wild that are born are subject to the same temps as the adults and they survive. I guess sometimes we just worry about every little thing and are over cautious at times!!!!.

Right now here in the South West of the Netherlands, on my upstairs terrace it's about 57 F in the shade...in full sun however it's about 77 F. My chameleons are outside on a branch or in a tree and are really soaking up the sunrays! They love it... just make sure that there is no real wind..a breeze is fine. The natural UV is sooo healthy for them ;-)

Right now here in the South West of the Netherlands, on my upstairs terrace it's about 57 F in the shade...in full sun however it's about 77 F. My chameleons are outside on a branch or in a tree and are really soaking up the sunrays! They love it... just make sure that there is no real wind..a breeze is fine. The natural UV is sooo healthy for them ;-)

I hope you don't have predators in the area! The hawks around my house would love a chameleon for dinner!!!! I had one close call and that was enough for me. Now I have a large outdoor cage my chameleon suns in. I take no chances!!!!

You're absolutely right Carol to take those precautions! I have a close eye on them the whole time. I'm also outside putting on some new freckles haha.
Luckily in my area there are no hawks, just large seagulls. In a while my husband is going to make them a nice outdoor enclosure ;-). Thanx for your concern!

Well it's been pretty sunny the last couple of days (while I've been stuck at work) and SO mild with no big breeze when I went outside this morning, I was hoping maybe today would be the day, but just checked the weather report and high will only be 57 today. :(

Back
Top Bottom