Minimum size for cristatus and quadricornis enclosures

eisentrauti

Avid Member
Hi,

I've got a question for the cristatus and quadricornis from this forum. What do you suggest as minimum enclosure measures for pairs and single animals ?

Regards
Benny

I keep my pairs in 30x30x20 screen and they do fine. I am going to be doubling that size soon just because i don't have dozens of quads so it is still practical to do. I use all of the space with pothos and bio-vines.

I would say wider and taller is best. For adult size, we plan to be using a 90x60x90(or 120)cm sized cage for the pair. We'll see how that goes. I tend to lean towards the more space is better route, but that's not always the most efficient method. :)

Luis

Sorry to thread-hijack, but do you guys keep your quads in pairs/trios/groups from juv well into adulthood?

Until recently, I was under the impression that 0.2, 1.1, 1.2, etc, would not display aggressive behaviours, nor would they show stress from communal housing. In the past couple of months, I have heard a couple of "experienced" keepers say that this is far from true. Can any of you comment on this?

Thanks,
Drew

The males, when sexually mature, will become aggressive towards each other. I had two males beat the crap out of each other once. One of them had a black bruised arm for several days from it. I don't keep mature males anywhere that they can see each other.

Luis is right, the bigger the better. I find that they like more depth and width rather than hight.

How are they doing Luis? Where are the pics??!

I totally agree that bigger is better for adult animals, but I asked this because I'm getting a few WC ones from those species.
And I couldn't give them all really big cages

If it is fresh import I suggest albeit smaller but keep them separately. Separate cages as much as possible, if possible prevent air circulation between cages. That way will various pathogens and parasits spread not so easily (that is better suggest than did, I know ...). Do noth clean cages that way that you will move animal in next cage
After some time, f. e month with animals those look healthy (and do not show yellow color what is usually by chameleon expression " I am sick") is possible group them in larger cages.
Even by animals those are some time in Europe a bit quarantine can not harm.
I strongly suggest keeping new arrivals in separate room or with as unrelated animals as possible.. Devil is never sleeping...

I'll grab a few more pics soon....actually, I think I may have a few I haven't posted yet...

Let me check....

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Benny. :|

Back
Top Bottom