Mesh type ... again

ChameLeon_

I'm building a cage (finally) and i'm still not convinced on mesh i use. I'm based in middle EU, so Iowe's, Home Depot etc.. is not an option unfortunately, and most amazon listings do not ship here as well. So, i have available basic fibre screen mesh with tiny openings, galvanized and PVC coated one with 16x16mm openings, shiny aluminum one with tiny openings and 5x5mm HDPE outdoor plastic mesh (image below, only in black). Which one would be the best? I plan to cup-feed, but i would like to have good visibility inside too. Unfortunately i'm not able to get charcoal aluminium one that everyone here use.. Maybe someone here from EU has other suggestions too? I need to find one as i'm stuck on the mesh part right now with the build. Thank y'all !

BB3167-5eb4175e4d317-size2.jpg

I would go with the aluminum screening. Some insects are able to eat their way thru plastic and fiberglass.
Won't the small gauge on it cause his nails to pull off if they get caught up? I dont plan on free-range feeding or anything. Also, i can get the aluminum one in silver shiny only, wont it make hard to see in?

Not knowing exactly how small the gauge is, I can’t answer about the nails. I’ve no idea what gauge the screen is here, but the holes are small. Some screen climbers do damage a claw here and there. Adding plenty of branches and vines helps to reduce their screen climbing, but it’s impossible to fully stop them. It is difficult to see inside of shiny screen. You could instead use a clear acrylic door for better view.

Somehow you need to find 1/2" welded wire cloth...that's the stuff for chameleon enclosures.
Isn't 1/2 inch like 13mm? That is pretty big no?
Not knowing exactly how small the gauge is, I can’t answer about the nails. I’ve no idea what gauge the screen is here, but the holes are small. Some screen climbers do damage a claw here and there. Adding plenty of branches and vines helps to reduce their screen climbing, but it’s impossible to fully stop them. It is difficult to see inside of shiny screen. You could instead use a clear acrylic door for better view.
For the gauge i found that the basic window screen mesh has gauge of about 1.2mm only, that's why i was concerned about his nails.

I'm not clear if you're also talking about the top (ceiling) part which the light will sit on. It's important to consider light blockage of a tight mesh or a plastic coated type,.

I'm not clear if you're also talking about the top (ceiling) part which the light will sit on. It's important to consider light blockage of a tight mesh or a plastic coated type,.
Yeah i need to find a mesh for both, top and sides. In another thread i got adviced that standard aluminum mesh for top will be good for Arcadia light, but what is the standard one? Like the gauge and all.. if i use bigger gauge for the top, i would have to raise it quite high to ensure proper UVB levels on basking..

Its important what you put on top dies not retain heat and get hot like aluminum for burns. even if you cup feed, feeders will escape. Also it healthy for them to actually hunt. Once they get full grown they tend to stop screen climbing as muchbespecially if the screen is not taunt. get plenty of branches and Flukers vines. They have three sizes and arent too expensive. Remember males are searching for mates So they patrol. even with lots of vines and branches mine does tend to lose nails from time to time. reinforcing the 48" panels so the screen was taunt did help! I tried welded wire on top of screen but the crickets hide behind it so i cut 10 inches down from top as they like to go to the heat lights. That worked well. If you get welded wire, you must cover the sides as they will hurt your cham. Duct tape did the trick. Good luck

Its important what you put on top dies not retain heat and get hot like aluminum for burns. even if you cup feed, feeders will escape. Also it healthy for them to actually hunt. Once they get full grown they tend to stop screen climbing as muchbespecially if the screen is not taunt. get plenty of branches and Flukers vines. They have three sizes and arent too expensive. Remember males are searching for mates So they patrol. even with lots of vines and branches mine does tend to lose nails from time to time. reinforcing the 48" panels so the screen was taunt did help! I tried welded wire on top of screen but the crickets hide behind it so i cut 10 inches down from top as they like to go to the heat lights. That worked well. If you get welded wire, you must cover the sides as they will hurt your cham. Duct tape did the trick. Good luck
Yeah i know, but when i use big gauge screen on top, the UVB has to be lifted a lot. But smaller gauge is available only really small hgere, like 1.2mm small. And for the sides, this small wire would be too dense to see through plus might pull nails, and bigger gauge again is only 13mm which may be way too big for escaped feeders and all again. Only middle way i found is the HDPE i post picture of in first post but in black, but with that there wont be much visibility through as well i think as the "wire" on it is also quite thick.. thats why im a bit lost on choosing one

Yeah i know, but when i use big gauge screen on top, the UVB has to be lifted a lot. But smaller gauge is available only really small hgere, like 1.2mm small. And for the sides, this small wire would be too dense to see through plus might pull nails, and bigger gauge again is only 13mm which may be way too big for escaped feeders and all again. Only middle way i found is the HDPE i post picture of in first post but in black, but with that there wont be much visibility through as well i think as the "wire" on it is also quite thick.. thats why im a bit lost on choosing one
For the top mesh, it may depend on what feeders you use. Black soldiers and dubias won’t escape out of the top. Personally I think 1/2" welded wire cloth is the way to go

For the top mesh, it may depend on what feeders you use. Black soldiers and dubias won’t escape out of the top. Personally I think 1/2" welded wire cloth is the way to go
Yes, but a lot more UVB goes through 1/2 inch wire, so i would need to raise uvb 4 inch up and 8 inch under screen for the basking, thats a lot of unused space.

25CA4A32-E1F7-417F-B2CC-1267A0A6AA84.jpeg
Yes, but a lot more UVB goes through 1/2 inch wire, so i would need to raise uvb 4 inch up and 8 inch under screen for the basking, thats a lot of unused space.
Why raise the light? My UVB is sitting right on my screen. As long as your branches are about 6 inches away, you should be good. Here’s mine

Why raise the light? My UVB is sitting right on my screen. As long as your branches are about 6 inches away, you should be good. Here’s mine
It all depends on the UVB you get. I found Arcadia 6% 24W UVB fixture here for decent money and wanted to go with that, but its too strong to be left like yours, could burn chameleon. Thats why raising the fixture and all, Beman helped me with that in the other post. I unfortunately do not have solar meter and its quite expensive to get for me.

On several of my enclosures, I've chosen to use acrylic or glass as front panel/door. There is a bunch of hinges and latches in acrylic as well, so entire front can be fully seethru. Then on sides I use a mesh that is called Clearview, here in us it's the most expensive mesh, but its worth every penny, doesn't rip, or distort. Mesh is small enough so feeders can't escape, doesn't harm chams nails dark charcoal, super visibility, almost like it's not there. Then on top I use much bigger mesh gauge, for max uvb n light penetretion. On bottom I use the smallest gauge mesh, it's almost solid. But nothing can escape or entered, incl ants. But water can escape.
2nd picture is with clearview mesh on front, held inplace with velcro entire way around.
7725.jpg

1000000764.jpg

On several of my enclosures, I've chosen to use acrylic or glass as front panel/door. There is a bunch of hinges and latches in acrylic as well, so entire front can be fully seethru. Then on sides I use a mesh that is called Clearview, here in us it's the most expensive mesh, but its worth every penny, doesn't rip, or distort. Mesh is small enough so feeders can't escape, doesn't harm chams nails dark charcoal, super visibility, almost like it's not there. Then on top I use much bigger mesh gauge, for max uvb n light penetretion. On bottom I use the smallest gauge mesh, it's almost solid. But nothing can escape or entered, incl ants. But water can escape.
2nd picture is with clearview mesh on front, held inplace with velcro entire way around.View attachment 333688
View attachment 333687
That looks so sick! The invisible mesh is really cool i like how it looks. Doubt i can find it here though 😅 I've already designed the drainage for bottom, just need to sort out mesh for 2 sides and top, and I'm good to go with everything finally. Thanks for cool photos though!

Back
Top Bottom