Mesh size and material

ChameLeon_

So, planning the cage for veiled cham and wondering what mesh is best? I thought aluminum windows screen is the way but found different opinions here and everywhere else so I'm asking here to be sure. Best to keep medium insects inside, not hurt chams feet and have good enough visibility. What size and material is best for this use? Thanks!

Depends on the use case of the cage. For outdoors large mesh like coated hardware cloth is best to allow in wild feeders. Indoors you want to keep bugs in the cage so traditional window screen mesh is probably best. All sizes of mesh have different effects on UV passing through FYI. Some can block over half the UV.

Depends on the use case of the cage. For outdoors large mesh like coated hardware cloth is best to allow in wild feeders. Indoors you want to keep bugs in the cage so traditional window screen mesh is probably best. All sizes of mesh have different effects on UV passing through FYI. Some can block over half the UV.
It would be for an indoor cage I'm planning for a veiled chameleon, you can check the design in my other post.

I'm planning to use more powerful UVB linear bulb to compensate for the mesh filtering some UV.

What about materials for mesh? I read somewhere aluminum can be bad for his feet and overall health but it seems best choice, it's durable and won't rust from misting. Plastic ones are cheaper but insect can chew through it apparently? Would that be a problem if i would feed mostly roaches and with a cup or from hand? Thanks

I would guess even the weight of an adult veiled could rip the vinyl/plastic mesh if they were to screen walk. Most commercial chameleon cages use aluminum. If you can find larger aluminum mesh this will reduce the risk of claws getting caught from screen climbing and allow in more UV.

I would guess even the weight of an adult veiled could rip the vinyl/plastic mesh if they were to screen walk. Most commercial chameleon cages use aluminum. If you can find larger aluminum mesh this will reduce the risk of claws getting caught from screen climbing and allow in more UV.
What means larger? Approximate dimensions would be great as i have no idea at all..

For indoors in my area we have cold dry winters so my cage is a DIY hybrid. I wrap three of the four sides in window film plastic to hold in mist and humidity. If you are building from scratch you may want to incorporate some solid sides from the start depending on your indoor conditions.

For indoors in my area we have cold dry winters so my cage is a DIY hybrid. I wrap three of the four sides in window film plastic to hold in mist and humidity. If you are building from scratch you may want to incorporate some solid sides from the start depending on your indoor conditions.
I'm based in middle Europe so the climate is pretty medium here, no huge extremes but it's becoming more and more instable. Room temps in winter are typically around 21-22 and humidity can be held around 40-50% if using external humidifier for air. I plan to cover half of the cage with live plants, one corner will house most of the flower pots and will eventually get completely covered with greens, covering most of left and back sides of the cage, so maybe screen could work? I also considered solid back side, but I'm not sure yet.

If you cover 1 or 2 sides with solid side it will keep the mist from getting walls and floor wet. Also make sure you incorporate a drainage tray/system

If you cover 1 or 2 sides with solid side it will keep the mist from getting walls and floor wet. Also make sure you incorporate a drainage tray/system
Yes, i already integrated the drainage to cage, it would be a slightly tilted PVC or sealed plywood sheet that will direct all excess water to one corner, through drilled hole, pipe and to waste water storage. Do you think plants on most of two sides would stop the mist going to ground and around the cage as well as help keep the humidity higher?

If you are going to use aluminum window screen use a dark color for better visibility into the cage. It is harder so see through shinny bright aluminum. To prevent screen climbing provide a lot of branches or a lattice type structure on screen walls.

If you are going to use aluminum window screen use a dark color for better visibility into the cage. It is harder so see through shinny bright aluminum. To prevent screen climbing provide a lot of branches or a lattice type structure on screen walls.
I will do my best to find some darker shade mesh, but i struggle to find even normal silver one here.. will vinyl screen mesh be too much trouble? The opening size is usually only ~1mm so i guess that's too small.. only one i can get in black

Try ordering it online and pick it up at your local Lowe's or Home Depot. You get more choices that way.
Problem is we do not have those here unfortunately... hours online and found nothing useful, nothing darker shades other than vinyl basic mesh for windows, with gauge of 1.2mm

Back
Top Bottom