Mentorship

Ok, so I’m gonna officially get a list together. I think we ought to have a short simple list of criteria for mentorship. Here’s my pitch:

everyone and anyone interested in mentorship should answer this thread. After 1 week, I’ll start a pm and tag everyone who responded. Over the next week, I’ll propose a tentative list of criteria for being a mentor, everyone will vote on it, and bob’s your uncle! It’ll be a referral based program. What do ya think?
Sounds like a good idea to me but isn't that what we do here anyway? I have not been on the forum that long so Maybe I'm confused as to what a mentor does for someone that can't be answered here? Not being negative but just curious on the benifits of having a mentor? Thanks

Sounds like a good idea to me but isn't that what we do here anyway? I have not been on the forum that long so Maybe I'm confused as to what a mentor does for someone that can't be answered here? Not being negative but just curious on the benifits of having a mentor? Thanks
I think it’s to offer more of a 1:1 to help rather than an op getting a million slightly different answers from many of us.

Not to pop my own balloon, but it has just been brought to my attention that the idea of a private mentor/mentee exchange might actually be to the detriment and f the community: If important and useful advice is exchanged between mentor and mentee, then that advice should be available to the entire community. Though I am interested in seeing newcomers paired up with experienced keepers, I also acknowledge that the discussions between the aforementioned might be of huge benefit to the wider comunity, and therefore that keeping it private is to the detriment of the wider community.

Basically, what I was thinking was this: every experienced keeper knows that there are countless ways to meet the requirements of a Cham. Kammerflage uses t8’s and regular repashy calcium plus. Some keepers in Europe use only glass cages and foggers at night. People in SoCal don’t supplement with d3 because their chams are outside all year. In short, there are a many ways to count as successfully keeping a Cham, given x and y. Often, I have found, people argue about proper husbandry without actually knowing the conditions under which their opponents chams are being kept: outdoors in southern Florida, indoors in Alaska, etc. The idea behind mentorship was to pair similar keepers with similar keepers, so that newcomers don’t need to be swallowed up in heated debates between experienced keepers in totally different situations.
However, if this means that we don’t all benefit from the freeMarket of ideas—as per Mills—then the idea is folly.
Anyways, thanks everyone who stepped up!

I think it’s to offer more of a 1:1 to help rather than an op getting a million slightly different answers from many of us.

While the focused attention is awesome (I'm sure we all blow James' inbox up at some point)... I think there is value in having other members weigh in and then forming your own educated decision. If a tenured doctor's advise isn't enough to keep you from wanting a second opinion, a cham forum photo contest medal shouldn't be either....

unless, of course, you have TWO... BACK TO BACK... SOLID GOLD MEDALS. *flex* :p

While the focused attention is awesome (I'm sure we all blow James' inbox up at some point)... I think there is value in having other members weigh in and then forming your own educated decision. If a tenured doctor's advise isn't enough to keep you from wanting a second opinion, a cham forum photo contest medal shouldn't be either....

You might be too in love with yourself...but I kinda think it’s deserved so have-at-er!!!!

I actually think the forums could do with a little bit less of me. my sense of humor and social interactions almost always rub people the wrong way. That’s why I’ve been so quiet lately... On top of that my small business has really taken off over these last two months and is demanding every second of my “spare” time.

Honored for the consideration but I’m going to respectfully decline as a “mainline” mentor. But I’d gladly serve as a backup from time to time if needed. PM me anytime, day or night.

Again, thank you for the consideration.

Brody,

Providing you are dealing with a reflective audience, I think your way of rubbing people the wrong way is appropriate in all sorts of ways! Canada loves the bayou butcher!

I actually think the forums could do with a little bit less of me. my sense of humor and social interactions almost always rub people the wrong way. That’s why I’ve been so quiet lately... On top of that my small business has really taken off over these last two months and is demanding every second of my “spare” time.

Honored for the consideration but I’m going to respectfully decline as a “mainline” mentor. But I’d gladly serve as a backup from time to time if needed. PM me anytime, day or night.

Again, thank you for the consideration.
Further to my last,
Please don’t stop posting Brody! We need you here, and you are not unappreciated! Maple-leaf love from Kaizen!

Bet you can’t get a bronze that’s the real goal lol

Back
Top Bottom