Mellers on the ground. Not good.

Angela Poleto

I have two Mellers chameleons and one of the two recently will not stay in the trees of his free range. He is constantly crawling around the ground and not eating or drinking very much. I have a humidifier below the free range, zoo med lighting tubes, 3 of them, one heat lamp for basking. It is hard to tell you humidity levels because it is a free range but the gauge I use says it is past normal and before high. I dust their food with reptical. I mist 2-4 times daily. They are on a 12 hour lighting cycle, 7a to 7p. I see no physical injuries. I did notice a small white spot on the inside of his mouth. I would never have noticed if he wouldn't have hissed at me! No pus like described with a mouth infection but the rest of his mouth is black. I thought him to be a male because he is alot bigger than the other one. He has been roaming on the ground a week now. I could really use some suggestions. Thanks.

Ok I also noticed him(?) digging at the carpet just now. Could he be a she and is gravid? I love these guys and I could use your expertise!

Well, one can safely assume that providing her with a laying bucket couldn't hurt at this point, only after you call your vet and make an appointment. Personally, I would run to homedepot, procure your bucket and sand etc... put it somehwhere near the free range area and prvide easy access to it from the trees.

Then call your vet and make an appointment.

Then go back and observe your chameleon from afar and see what's happening. If shes digging at the carpet, thats a pretty good indication that shes gravid and looking to drop those bad boys before they become a problem.

Let us know the results though, I'd be curious to find out what the cause of the behaviour really is.

HTH

Luis

Hello. While I have not any experience with mellers, it sounds like you may have a gravid female. I would suggest getting a laying bin prepared right now!!!!! The bin will have to be a very good size although Im not sure what people use for a laying medium. For my panthers I use 2/3 topsoil and 1/3 playsand moistened enough to make a tunnel in it without it colapsing or being a mud pit. You may have to use a large trash can depending on the size.

While I hope someone with more melleri experience will chime in I can give you this site to help you get started. I would start on the laying bin now and try to get everything in check. If no one with more exp. chimes in I can try and help you as much as possible. It cant be that much different than a panther laying, just a larger scale, Maybe?

http://melleridiscovery.com/index.html

Thank you. I do have a vet appointment but they can't get me in for a week! I have playsand and topsoil. I appreciate the help. Sorry I didn't give enough info. I think my question was answered anyway.

Check the melleridiscovery.com. helpful stuff there.

How big is the cage? Melleri, when in certain moods, become very roamy, and try to escape a cage they're not 100% happy with.

They are not in a cage, it's a free range. A cluster of trees and branches that they have free range of. It is in a high traffic area . There is nowhere in my tiny apartment that I can put it but there. I am in the process of looking for houses to buy and I am going to get an extra room, "The Green Room" for them.

i would definatly get a trash can filled with at least 18 inches of moist playsand and put it in there i would aslo make a basking spot near the top of the can your better safe than sorry

Back
Top Bottom