MEGA Self-standing Free-range build 3'x3'x8' with build-log

after much slow-going electrical work....my lighting is fully in place tested and working :D

all that is left now is that false rock/waterfall....never done it before so i've been avoiding it but there is nothing else to do anymore...

still trying to avoid the fake rocks (i'm scared of it looking bad :( )

transplanted my primary plants and secured the large branches/climbing areas today.

i have absolutely nothing left to do but the fake rock....no more hiding from it :x

Almost!

One of my LED drivers was faulty so I have to mail that back...wait god knows how long to get one on warranty...

I also moved all my electronics to the outside of the unit after concerns about a water leak...this took forever :(

On other fronts, my first 2 tries at fake rock came out miserably, but I'm happy with my third try. The epoxy coat made it look way too "shiny" for my taste, but since most of it will be wet its not an issue and I will just live with the little other bit

Here are pics, sorry teh photos aren't arranged too well....the closest "current" tank shots are at the beginning of the album but the other new stuff is at the end
https://plus.google.com/photos/1101...s/5647652851478928897?authkey=CJ-1sdnW0KCejAE

Also I've already put in the side wall and have started transplanting my ground plants I just didn't pictures of it yet, will upload those soon. I have run into a slight problem with my "false floor" setup since the original planters I was going to use ended up being too tall and now my other ones are too short >.< will probably try elevating them with foam or something....working on that.

in general though, I anticipate to be planting by this weekend.

That is seriously an insane amount of work. I'm hoping you have it on a first floor because that thing looks like it weighs a ton and could come crashing through!!! Good work!!

it has been a huge learning experience and without a doubt i will do several things different for future builds (like frame the walls and use thin plyboard for starters!)

however it doesn't weigh that much without the plants in it (i can slide it around slowly by myself)

with the big dracaena and all the other plants/soil+waterfeatures i'm sure it'll be very heavy tho :x

still have a lot of work before I'm done though.....I just HAD to have a water feature didn't I....... due to lack of personal skill and just plain old added difficulty, the water feature has honestly taken probably 1/3-1/2 of the total time of this project to get right (not jury-rigged/ghetto/etc)

Last edited:
Great job! Is this the FINAL look? Looks like a huge project on your end.. and I thought my cage was hardcore!

Photo 1: Last final pic ( more plants added on the bottom now)

Photo 2: The beginning template!

photo2.jpg

A10_2840.jpg

the hardscape is "finalized" yes although in looking back at the pics I wish I ahd set it lower like in some of the older test pics

the fake rock is now installed (although I still have concerns about it not being perfectly watertight....but i've made arrangements for that)

I have formed a "riverway" (using a gutter) onto it and am now planting the floor plants....hoping to get the 4th wall up by this weekend! I do still have some concerns about how exactly I'm going to do my false floor (to cover up the planters) but I have a few ideas....all of them have some form of theoretical issues so I'm just going to plant and see what happens on this part....normally I hate doing that but this isn't a structural/technical part so it shoudl be fine

Neve would of guessed it to take this long! you have been putting in some serious work. I am impressed by it, and by you sticking with it!

the hardscape is "finalized" yes although in looking back at the pics I wish I ahd set it lower like in some of the older test pics

the fake rock is now installed (although I still have concerns about it not being perfectly watertight....but i've made arrangements for that)

I have formed a "riverway" (using a gutter) onto it and am now planting the floor plants....hoping to get the 4th wall up by this weekend! I do still have some concerns about how exactly I'm going to do my false floor (to cover up the planters) but I have a few ideas....all of them have some form of theoretical issues so I'm just going to plant and see what happens on this part....normally I hate doing that but this isn't a structural/technical part so it shoudl be fine

No pictures, no final grade.

haha yea it went from a casual side project to a full blown thing....I've dropped around $2000 into it now (a lot of it wasted on learning curves !)

I will upload some newer pictures in a day or two after I get the floor planted

A big part of the time-frame is the fact that I'm working entirely alone and my living room is maybe 10'x15' altogther....you try sawing an 8'x4' piece of plywood by yourself in a living room of that size with furniture and whatnot in it!

I've also been going really slow to make sure I'm not making any mistakes as I am familiar with all of this in theory...but in practice its a whole different ball game.

haha i JUST uploaded that pic I was about to put it here too....but it is definitely far from finished!!!

the right wall is not installed yet and the waterfall is not running (i had to change around some of my setup due to technicalities )

also, only the ground has been planted...the branches at the top and the back walls are still going to be planted and lots more vines to be added :)

Here is the most current shot of it, viewed from the side that is installed (if you notice in the picture, there is no wall on the right side :p)

EDIT:...ok wtf....the forum will not allow me to upload the image here because I have already uploaded it into another thread...that is really dumb...

click the link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...a-opinions-advice-2012-02-25_16-30-47_107.jpg

haha i JUST uploaded that pic I was about to put it here too....but it is definitely far from finished!!!

the right wall is not installed yet and the waterfall is not running (i had to change around some of my setup due to technicalities )

also, only the ground has been planted...the branches at the top and the back walls are still going to be planted and lots more vines to be added :)

Here is the most current shot of it, viewed from the side that is installed (if you notice in the picture, there is no wall on the right side :p)

EDIT:...ok wtf....the forum will not allow me to upload the image here because I have already uploaded it into another thread...that is really dumb...

click the link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...a-opinions-advice-2012-02-25_16-30-47_107.jpg
Just change the name of the picture on your picture files. Or you could add the photo to say photobucket.com. Once you've uploaded the pic to an album click on the link that's next to IMG code and then simply paste that into your reply box on here.

@brandon1: i tried that! even changing the file name did not work, I'm guessing the system is detecting it somehow based on internal metatags....really annoying (i hate dealing with photobucket and the like)

@sticktongue: Thanks! I am beginning to offer my services professionally... :)

Back
Top Bottom