Meet my new veiled: George

Id feed him about 5X that much.
I am. I just wanted to give him a few days. I put two dubias in the shooting gallery this morning and walked in at the right time to see him strike and eat one. I'll plan on adding two everyday, unless he eats them quick then bump it up to three etc.

Slightly off topic: what is a good feeder food/product to give the CUC occasionally?

I am. I just wanted to give him a few days. I put two dubias in the shooting gallery this morning and walked in at the right time to see him strike and eat one. I'll plan on adding two everyday, unless he eats them quick then bump it up to three etc.

Slightly off topic: what is a good feeder food/product to give the CUC occasionally?
Well, since they literally eat crap, I don’t think they’ll be very picky. :p
Along with some scraps from whatever I’m gutloading with, I also add a little Repashy Morning Wood.

He seems really close to the basking lamp. what wattage are you using...
It's a 75w incandescent. The highest point of the branch is about 6" from the screen. Normally (like right now) he is more laying across the branch/flatter. I think in that picture he was standing up because he saw me and is still trying to figure out if he can trust me or be ready to run from me lol

It's a 75w incandescent. The highest point of the branch is about 6" from the screen. Normally (like right now) he is more laying across the branch/flatter. I think in that picture he was standing up because he saw me and is still trying to figure out if he can trust me or be ready to run from me lol
I would consider raising the fixture off the top a few inches... That is a thermal burn waiting to happen. Veileds will burn their casque extremely easily. They will not move out of the heat even if it is too hot for them. I have a full 10 inch drop on mine with a 60 watt bulb and I get temps of 82-83 at basking. So with yours being a 75 watt at 6 inches I would imagine the basking temps would be far to high for him as well.

I would consider raising the fixture off the top a few inches... That is a thermal burn waiting to happen. Veileds will burn their casque extremely easily. They will not move out of the heat even if it is too hot for them. I have a full 10 inch drop on mine with a 60 watt bulb and I get temps of 82-83 at basking. So with yours being a 75 watt at 6 inches I would imagine the basking temps would be far to high for him as well.
I checked and the temp of the branch right under it is about 84 degrees.

Is there a simple solution to getting the lamp up a few inches? I don't have a hanger for it and I'd rather not but a stand.

I checked and the temp of the branch right under it is about 84 degrees.

Is there a simple solution to getting the lamp up a few inches? I don't have a hanger for it and I'd rather not but a stand.
How are you checking though? A temp gun only measures the surface temp not the actual temp the cham is in. And the issue is not as much heat it is thermal burn. They happen very easily. Use the search function in the forum for thermal burn and you will see some horrendous outcomes of chams that have to suffer through the healing process. Exo terra makes a light bracket you can either hook to glass with the mount or you can drill holes in the mounting plate and use quarter inch screws to mount to the corner of a screen cage frame.

The reviews for the stick on stand from exo terra had me skeptical so I am improvising.

Ordered these off Amazon and will is it as a riser :)

The reviews for the stick on stand from exo terra had me skeptical so I am improvising.

Ordered these off Amazon and will is it as a riser :)
Whatever works for you... Just ensure it does not tear the screen. I have seen many things done to pull them up off the screen. I use the exo terra lamp brackets have never had an issue.

Whatever works for you... Just ensure it does not tear the screen. I have seen many things done to pull them up off the screen. I use the exo terra lamp brackets have never had an issue.
I actually plan on flipping the rack so the circle part is on the screen (to spread out the weight on the screen). And bend the three legs inwards to let the lamp housing sit on it. Improvisation lol

I actually plan on flipping the rack so the circle part is on the screen (to spread out the weight on the screen). And bend the three legs inwards to let the lamp housing sit on it. Improvisation lol
lol whatever works to get it high enough... I have seen some innovative DIY.

My $10 homemade riser lol

Attachments

• PXL_20200928_150525402.jpg
    PXL_20200928_150525402.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 58
Only thing left I am waiting on is the fixture for the grow light I have. The Pothos plants seem to have all taken hold well and going strong. But figure the light will help the Schefflera's stay nice and healthy.

A nutrient question: If I am properly feeding my Dubia's, how often should I be dusting them with Calcium (without D3)? Still every feeding?
(I will be dusting them with multivitamin with D3 twice a month per guides).

Only thing left I am waiting on is the fixture for the grow light I have. The Pothos plants seem to have all taken hold well and going strong. But figure the light will help the Schefflera's stay nice and healthy.

A nutrient question: If I am properly feeding my Dubia's, how often should I be dusting them with Calcium (without D3)? Still every feeding?
(I will be dusting them with multivitamin with D3 twice a month per guides).
gutloading and supplement dusting are two separate things. They do not replace one another. So you will still dust according to the normal schedule of calcium without D3 at every feeding except two times a month use the multivitamin and two times a month use the calcium with D3. These two are rotated week to week at one feeding..

gutloading and supplement dusting are two separate things. They do not replace one another. So you will still dust according to the normal schedule of calcium without D3 at every feeding except two times a month use the multivitamin and two times a month use the calcium with D3. These two are rotated week to week at one feeding..
Awesome, thanks!

With the riser, air temps underneath the lamp, halfway between the branch and screen top, are around 88 degrees. Temp directly below the screen are about 96 degrees.

The metal screen itself is pretty damn hot though, around 125 degrees. So I'll keep an eye on him ever climbing on the screen directly but so far he hasn't tried it.

With the riser, air temps underneath the lamp, halfway between the branch and screen top, are around 88 degrees. Temp directly below the screen are about 96 degrees.

The metal screen itself is pretty damn hot though, around 125 degrees. So I'll keep an eye on him ever climbing on the screen directly but so far he hasn't tried it.
ohhhh that is hot hot hot what wattage are you using?

ohhhh that is hot hot hot what wattage are you using?
75w

The actual basking temp is ideal though, right? I thought anything under 95 in the area they occupy is ideal (85-95).

Whether I raise the light more or get a 60w, while that would lower the temp of the actual metal screen it would also lower the basking temp no?

Back
Top Bottom