Meet my new veiled: George

dlaunde

Established Member
Arrived earlier today from FL Chams.

He's been exploring, though for some reason he has been walking only on the bottom of the cage (on the soil) for the last two hours. He allowed me to take him out but even after placing him up high he still went to the very bottom.

Is that OK?

Attachments

• PXL_20200923_175519211.jpg
    PXL_20200923_175519211.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 89
Yup. Best thing you can do right now is give him privacy and just let him do his thing. Also normal for them to not eat or drink much for a few days as they get used to their new homes.

I think it is okay, probably because he is just exploring his new home! if he continues to do it for a few days, keep an eye on him

Welcome to forums, and welcome George!
I suspect he is just looking for a private space to cope with the chang of homes.

Welcome George! :) He probably hasn’t seen soil before or he’s spied an isopod.
No isopods added yet (in the mail). I'm leaving him be as advised. Everything he needs is there (lights, coverage, water, heat) so he'll figure it all out. Just didn't want him doing anything weird with the soil and getting an impaction or anything.

Well he's moving around his cage more. But he absolutely doesn't like when I am in the room. Came home today and he was basking...as soon as he saw me he went to the lower areas and hid.
I have so far placed three small dubias in the Shooting Gallery between yesterday and today and all three are gone. So I am pretty sure he is eating (unless they somehow got out).

I know temperment of chameleons varies widely, but at the very least will he become comfortable enough over the next few weeks to climb around and live in his cage without running away whenever I walk into the room?

Temps 1ft below the top screen, underneath the UV bulb area are about 74degrees and humidity in the same spot (as of this moment) is 66%.

I'm misting 3mins at lights on and lights off, then one minute in the middle of the day.

Another timing question: how long does it take them to fully develop the color scheme they will have throughout their life (relatively speaking, as I know colors do change depending on mood/time of day)?

His sire was extremely orange. So far he has a very light green/yellow hue. So much so that if he is hiding among the yellow/gold schefflera in the back it is nearly impossible to find him lol

Have you taking him outside at all. Natural sunlight seems to bring out their colors really well. This isn't scientific just my observation but you might try that.

Another timing question: how long does it take them to fully develop the color scheme they will have throughout their life (relatively speaking, as I know colors do change depending on mood/time of day)?

His sire was extremely orange. So far he has a very light green/yellow hue. So much so that if he is hiding among the yellow/gold schefflera in the back it is nearly impossible to find him lol
From my experience with my FL Cham (Spike line high blues), it’s taken over a year and having to see another chameleon. He never got fired up before. So I think it can be a hit or miss. I have two of Jannb’s males from the same clutch and they look completely different.

Back
Top Bottom