Meet Leo!

Just went to mist Leo and this is what I found:

IMG_2521.jpg

Never have seen him do that.. Is he sunbathing him tummy? Should Iw orry about his claws getting stuck int eh screen? Then I was so baffled taht when i did finally remember to mist, I sprayed myself in the face.:(

Oh my goodness.... I've sprayed myself in the face too LOL.

Gizmo does this to sometimes. That's why I don't have his basking lamp sitting directly on top of his cage.

If he's up there when I've come to mist, I just spray underneath him then go on with my day.

If his temps are okay and he's not up there because he's too cold, just let him be. He is probably exploring his new territory.

Hey it was great talking to most of you. Leo and I are taking a break for awhile. Best luck and dont let the man getcha down. Later, Amanda

ooo leo's just gettin his tan up a bit :). you never know when you can win free tickets on a game show to spain :) (gota be prepared)

NO offense but there are some weird game shows in Spain!

Yea he does this on a daily basis now.. Oh well, he is happy and healthy and thats all that matters! :) Thanks Joe!

Amanda and others,

Chameleons hang upside down on their cages when they are trying to get warmer. One of two problems, you do not have a branch suitable (the right distance from the heat lamp) or your heat lamp wattage is too low. So, basically you need a branch 5 inches sitting horizontally under a 75watt light (those are just average distance and wattage).

Climbing around upside down is ok...but sitting under the basking light upside down shouldn't happen. Just small adjustments.

See if that will make him change his routine,

Chris

Chris, I do have a branch. In fact I think you can see its directly under the corner where the light is. I had to lower the wattage because it was getting too hot. It stays between 87-89 during the day. He doesnt hang DIRECTLY under it..more off to the side of it. all the crickets hang off too so maybe he is just catching them easier? He doesnt stay up there long, maybe 20 min at a time throughout the day..

Yea page 10, you can scroll down tot he pic of his enclosure and see him in the corner under it. Any higher and he will be touching the top of the cage..but Ill try to make it more horizontal than diagonal. Thank!

EDIT: Okay I got it as horizontal as I could but its the main vine so I would have to tear the entire cage down to get it perfectly straight. the top point directly under basking is 3 inches and the lowest point on the vine (furthest from basking) in 5-5.5 inches). Ill see what goes on through the day if he still ahng s upside down. Thanks Chris.

Last edited:
Quick update, Mainly for Chris as I know you were concerned. I fixed the branch as stated above and Leo is doing great. He did not hang upside down since. Its great to have such experienced members who will come and correct in a polite and helpful way and I appreciate it.
Thank you..

And he gets MORE and MORE stunning each night in his pjs..its so vibrant. Illtry to snap a shot sometime soon.

Amanda and others,

Chameleons hang upside down on their cages when they are trying to get warmer. One of two problems, you do not have a branch suitable (the right distance from the heat lamp) or your heat lamp wattage is too low. So, basically you need a branch 5 inches sitting horizontally under a 75watt light (those are just average distance and wattage).

Climbing around upside down is ok...but sitting under the basking light upside down shouldn't happen. Just small adjustments.

See if that will make him change his routine,

Chris

What kind of 75w lamp? spot, flood, round household lamp?

I have used 50w with my chams in cages... I thought my veiled Jake wasn't warm enough since he sat under his basking lamp a lot. I put in a 75w (the next step up I had) and he got a nasty burn. I just wanted to let others know, 75w can be pretty intense as Jake and I found out the hard way.....:(

Being on top of the cage up side down near the lamps can be bad. If using a 10.0 the UVB output is pretty strong if the cham is within a couple of inches of the lamp. Even a new 5.0 can have some strong output at close range. Glad to hear he has righted himself with the adjustments made.

This is my 1000th post and I wanted it to me in my mans thread.

Leo is awesome. He wanted to come out for the first time on his own yesterday. He still wont eat in front of me or hand feed anymore. Im sure I could change that if I no longer cup fed, but he's doing good so why change it. I bought him a HUGE schefflera last night in TREE form..big and sturdy.It is supposed to be 70+ this weekend so Im hoping in the direct sun, it will be warm enough for him to have some basking time on it! :) Im so proud. Leo is going to be a big brother too when Titans little Jacksons arrives next month. Im trying to get everything set up for that. I also found out that a flower I have been growing that I got for $1 on clearance is actually acceptable in the chameleon cage. Its native to Madagascar and I can use it! So yay! :D

Leo sunned today

It is about 75 out right now so I put the big Schefflera tree outside int he middle of the deck and even rigged a garden border in between that and another tree to give him some climbing surface. Took LOTS of pics. He really enjoyed himself. Got rather dull in color though but puffed out big. Ill u/l pics later when my camera is charged. He did NOT want to go back into his home. I carried him and put him in and he tried to turn around and come back out.. Cannot wait for hubby to build outside enclosure!!

Sounds like Leo enjoyed his sunbathing!! It amazes me how they bask differently when in natural sunlight! Lily gets so dark on the side facing the sun, but she doesn't do it under her basking lamp. It'll soon be getting warmer over here in the UK, so Lily will be able to go outside again.:D

Pics

Here is Leo basking.. Im aware that his eyes look sunken.. Thats another thread (see Concerned, sleeping if you have any thoughts).. Here he is au naturale.
Flattened out:
Picture047.jpg

Peek a boo!
Picture036.jpg

Up Close and Personal:
Picture054.jpg

Cute Tail!!!:
Picture061.jpg

Full body shot:
Picture067.jpg

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear the bad news Amanda. But we all know that you did your very best and your best intentions came from the heart. Leo is in a better place and that should bring you some comfort. Take care of yourself Amanda, things will get better.

-Jay

Back
Top Bottom