Meet Dino Quarantino and Husbandry Review

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
I am an “old time” chameleon keeper from 20 years ago with the expected disappointing results based on the prevailing husbandry. I just got a new guy, wanting to create the best conditions possible so would appreciate a review of current husbandry. I have a few questions/concerns listed at the bottom, but I know you need this information in order to comment, so here goes:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Domestic bred Male veiled High White Pied sold as “adult”-not sure exact age. Bought from LLL Reptile and had since Dec. 23rd. He weighed around 60 grams when I got him and is now 122.

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

I had planned on never; however, when I redid his enclosure I had to move him then. I found out that he is quite willing to step onto a stick, no rocking, hissing, coloring up. I put him in an outdoor enclosure for sun and may plan to do this weekly since he really enjoyed basking based on tilting to catch the sun as it moved. But handling would just be to transport.

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Every other day the equivalent of 5 bugs. For example, two sub-adult dubias I consider a serving. That is primary food but also BSFL and flies, hornworms, rarely a waxworm. I throw in a cricket here and there (always have them on hand for my waxy monkey frogs). Feed in AM as soon as he is basking. Gutload is Repashy gutload, with oranges, carrots, squash, zucchini, other vegetables.

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Every meal is Arcadia Pro-earth A with Repashy Calcium Plus LoD every other week.

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Using Exoterra Monsoon just before lights on and lights off. I run at least three minutes, if he is showing interest in drinking I leave on 5-6 minutes or as long as he is drinking. (yes he will do if I am watching from a distance)

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Well formed, solid feces and pure white urates like cream cheese consistency. Will get fecal within next 2 weeks.

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

I have left him alone except minimal cage maintenance to settle down and acclimate. I put his bugs in a small brown dish which he has come to recognize. Yesterday I noticed him eyeballing the dish when I approached, and I was thrilled that he decided to eat out of it from my hand. (the first week I had him he would not eat or drink in front of me at all).

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Dragon Strand Combo cage 24 x 24 x 48.

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Schedule 7-7. Arcadia Jungle Dawn UVA, Arcadia 6% UVB, plain bulb 75 watt for basking. I have measured the UVB with a meter and it is right at 3.

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking is 82, down to 72 daytime near the bottom. Lowest night is around 65. Measured with temp gun as well as two digital thermo/hygrometers one at top and one midway.

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Humidity 25-40 during the day, 65-85 at night (this depends partly on ambient humidity which fluctuates here a lot). Maintain with the mister and also a fogger goes on for 15 mins. 5 times during the night. Lots of plants also. I think as they grow and fill out it will be easier to maintain a higher humidity at night. It will be a constant battle here as we get winter Santa Ana winds and humidity drops as low as 10%.

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Nepenthes, polka dot plant (3 in rotation, because he chows them down), pothos, bromeliad, maidenhair fern, and have wandering jew ordered (who knew the plant everyone’s grandma used to have would get hard to find??) If a little sparse on plants, it will fill in in short order. Little soil is exposed; on some of them there is tenacious (i.e. well-rooted) live sphagnum that I don’t believe would come up if accidentally hit with a tongue. There are a couple of fake vines with a few tiny silk leaves; I am not too concerned about those as he is well habituated to eating his polka dot plant.

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

TV room; the side facing the sofa is one of the solid sides so he can’t see us. If we watch TV in there at night it is with all lights off except the light from the hermit crab enclosure which he should be used to. Top of cage is 6 feet up. No vents anywhere near him.

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located? Orange CA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

Wondering if his weight seems appropriate; approximate age estimate, white spots on arm part of his shed? Do bones look straight/any signs of MBD. Also his non-white color is pretty dull (he just shed), will his color develop more as he grows?

Attachments

• Face with polka dot.jpg
    Face with polka dot.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Sideways.jpg
    Sideways.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 173
Welcome, you have a gorgeous cham and cage, and are doing a great job! I would only change a few things: His daytime humidity should be between 30-50% and up to 100% at night. Is your fogger cool mist and how often and how do you clean it? I would take out the fake vines with leaves on them because you never know, along with all of the mosses! I have no idea about his spots or his age (I’m not the best at either), but when you go to the vet for a fecal (especially since he’s from LLL!), I would get x-rays done to check for MBD and bloodwork if the vet suggests it (he’s big enough to do it safely). Make sure to drop off at least two fresh fecal samples afterwards to make sure no parasites were missed, if you weren’t going to already!

Looks good. 120g is a good weight. It falls right in a mind range.
If you can run the fog all night 12 to 5 am. That will keep nighttime humidity up.They are good with low humidity during the day even 10%. Night is more important. If you are getting down to 65 at night and running fog at night you should be good. Try to adjust so the fog flows over where he sleeps.
I would not worry too much about MBD. Not that it doesn’t matter. Just that the cure is proper care. If severe they will give medication. But he shows no outward signs.
A fecal isn’t a bad idea.
I don’t know the supplements you use, but watch that the D3 is not in both. With measured UVB they make most of the D3 on their own. And not too much vitamin A

Looking great 👍

Welcome, you have a gorgeous cham and cage, and are doing a great job! I would only change a few things: His daytime humidity should be between 30-50% and up to 100% at night. Is your fogger cool mist and how often and how do you clean it? I would take out the fake vines with leaves on them because you never know, along with all of the mosses! I have no idea about his spots or his age (I’m not the best at either), but when you go to the vet for a fecal (especially since he’s from LLL!), I would get x-rays done to check for MBD and bloodwork if the vet suggests it (he’s big enough to do it safely). Make sure to drop off at least two fresh fecal samples afterwards to make sure no parasites were missed, if you weren’t going to already!
Thank you! I just realized that the pics are all cut off, I will repost but not sure how to crop them so they show up? If anyone knows please let me know.

The fogger is the little Zoomed one; I use bleach to soak the bottle once a week, and I switched the plastic tube for PVC so I can clean it later. I will probably make a second piece so the first can go in the dishwasher, I am lazy that way :) OR I might see if I can find one with a larger reservoir, I know it is going to become tedious to refill this one as much as needed.

Looks good. 120g is a good weight. It falls right in a mind range.
If you can run the fog all night 12 to 5 am. That will keep nighttime humidity up.They are good with low humidity during the day even 10%. Night is more important. If you are getting down to 65 at night and running fog at night you should be good. Try to adjust so the fog flows over where he sleeps.
I would not worry too much about MBD. Not that it doesn’t matter. Just that the cure is proper care. If severe they will give medication. But he shows no outward signs.
A fecal isn’t a bad idea.
I don’t know the supplements you use, but watch that the D3 is not in both. With measured UVB they make most of the D3 on their own. And not too much vitamin A

Looking great 👍
The Arcadia is definitely zero D3, I will have to check about the A.

I will experiment with raising the night time humidity, I think it an all-the-time work in progress since ambient changes so much. There is no such thing as "set and forget" is there!! The fog does coincidentally go over where he sleeps so that is good.

Good to know the weight is about right, hopefully that means my feeding amounts are good? Any remote idea of his age? I am sure a better pic will help so I will attempt that.

By the way and totally unrelated, while I hope to help eventually with chameleon questions, I am expert level in carnivorous plant cultivation and pretty much plants in general if I can help with planting questions. Trying for better pics here.

Attachments

• Face with polka dot crop.jpg
    Face with polka dot crop.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Enclosure cropx2.jpg
    Enclosure cropx2.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 123
Thank you for your kindness! In your avatar, is your cham "pissed off" there? This little dude is so mellow he has yet to color up.

Thank you! I just realized that the pics are all cut off, I will repost but not sure how to crop them so they show up? If anyone knows please let me know.
If you click on the picture it will expand.
While posting pics you push the "insert" button and it will insert your photo bigger.

Dull colors are fine. Hes just relaxed. If he does get pissed, then he will show the craziest colors, I'm sure.

Here is Mushu relaxed vs. fired up.
20201217_124538.jpg
20210129_152102.jpg

Your supplements are perfect. Your repashy LoD covers vitamin A and D3 and your schedule is correct... Your husbandry is basically perfect. Weight looks good and feeding schedule is good.

So you have a translucent when your asking about the spots on his arms... Is there white pigment? As they mature their pigmentation in the translucent areas change.

But my male gets both white spots and black around other pigment colors...

Oh and I love his name lol

See images below.

Your supplements are perfect. Your repashy LoD covers vitamin A and D3 and your schedule is correct... Your husbandry is basically perfect. Weight looks good and feeding schedule is good.

So you have a translucent when your asking about the spots on his arms... Is there white pigment? As they mature their pigmentation in the translucent areas change.

But my male gets both white spots and black around other pigment colors...

Oh and I love his name lol

See images below.

Wow that helps. I will watch those spots to see if they change. I am guessing then that at 120 grams Dino is about a year old.

Bentley is gorgeous by the way!! Looks like he is pretty nice. I wonder if there are any "unofficial" studies from this group as to whether translucents have a mellower personality? Or any other differences such as different health issues/lifespan etc?

Wow that helps. I will watch those spots to see if they change. I am guessing then that at 120 grams Dino is about a year old.

Bentley is gorgeous by the way!! Looks like he is pretty nice. I wonder if there are any "unofficial" studies from this group as to whether translucents have a mellower personality? Or any other differences such as different health issues/lifespan etc?
Thank you I adore him. So it just depends on their genetics and husbandry. I have one male that is 125 grams at 10 months old.

Bentley was a petco boy and has just started really growing. Guessing his age to be almost 8 months old.

He is quite moody actually lol.

Per the health issues/life span. Everything I have read says they can live an equally healthy long life with the correct husbandry. Nothing indicating that we have to change anything in husbandry due to the pigmentation difference. :)

Can't believe I missed this post.... Your cage set-up has me thinking new ideas. I do the foam, silicone and make my own vines out of tubing and pipes, silicone, sand and coconut fiber. The way your foaming is great! The pitcher plants is what I will do since carnivorous plants are so interesting and will eat/trap all the little pests. GREAT IDEA!!! <--------------I'm not inspired much anymore (except with human compassion stuff) but who knows what my new set-ups will turn into. Thanks!!!
1st 3 Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad set-up.. They love to be HIGH! The 4th is the upright posts (so they can chill on) the other creates crevices in the back so they can hide, that can be followed by the BIG leaf in display terrarium.
The rest are White's Tree Frog
THEN!!!! to be continued- New ideas you gave me with your Chameleon setup.
The last picture with the scary White's- I was in the semi- dark, making sure the baby turtles were doing fine, Then heard a noise in the White's tank. So I took a moon light picture (didn't even know what this feature was) and this guy was WATCHING ME.

Attachments

• PXL_20210109_021233477.jpg
    PXL_20210109_021233477.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20201115_143943.jpg
    IMG_20201115_143943.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20201115_143926.jpg
    IMG_20201115_143926.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20200803_102819.jpg
    IMG_20200803_102819.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20191011_094955 (1).jpg
    IMG_20191011_094955 (1).jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20191011_112041 (2).jpg
    IMG_20191011_112041 (2).jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20191011_114617.jpg
    IMG_20191011_114617.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20191113_191133.jpg
    IMG_20191113_191133.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20200121_070558.jpg
    IMG_20200121_070558.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20210225_050858381.NIGHT (1).jpg
    PXL_20210225_050858381.NIGHT (1).jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 114
Just noticed you have many different species of the pitchers... Can you share where you got them and do you "cut/clip" to reproduce?
My new thoughts would be: nepenthes at the top and middle- middle Sarracenia and Sundew and sundew at the bottom protected with light screening.
I have only dabbled with the carnivorous and have success as long as the weather is working for me. Never tried indoors but think with the right lighting and a purified drip system will work..
Please let me know if this is even possible--- I have been to many museums and other displays were their able to do it, but sometimes it is not for the hobbyist.
Thanks for your input.. Never even considered mixing the two together.. If it would be hard, just let me know. I would rather not attempt it.

Can't believe I missed this post.... Your cage set-up has me thinking new ideas. I do the foam, silicone and make my own vines out of tubing and pipes, silicone, sand and coconut fiber. The way your foaming is great! The pitcher plants is what I will do since carnivorous plants are so interesting and will eat/trap all the little pests. GREAT IDEA!!! <--------------I'm not inspired much anymore (except with human compassion stuff) but who knows what my new set-ups will turn into. Thanks!!!
1st 3 Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad set-up.. They love to be HIGH! The 4th is the upright posts (so they can chill on) the other creates crevices in the back so they can hide, that can be followed by the BIG leaf in display terrarium.
The rest are White's Tree Frog
THEN!!!! to be continued- New ideas you gave me with your Chameleon setup.
The last picture with the scary White's- I was in the semi- dark, making sure the baby turtles were doing fine, Then heard a noise in the White's tank. So I took a moon light picture (didn't even know what this feature was) and this guy was WATCHING ME.
What IS that, a waterfall made with the foam? Now you are giving me ideas! Love the backgrounds, too.

The cage has grown in a bit since I took that photo, look at the 2 nice pitchers in the center.

My chams don't leave anything for the plants to eat LOL-but if I have feeders die in their containers especially flies, in they go.

I also have FWA ((frogs with attitude)-phyllomedusa sauvagii. And yes the nocturnal frogs always watch you, you can feel their eyes on your back. The scariest moment to me is the moment their eyes open for the evening, they will be closed and then BAM! they pop open.

Show us what you come up with!

Attachments

• Piggyback2 macro 6 16.jpg
    Piggyback2 macro 6 16.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 117
  • Dino enclosure 3 21.jpg
    Dino enclosure 3 21.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom