Meet Cricket the Recovery Chameleon

Troubledluna80

Established Member
I got this little one about a month ago. I have read how to tell what sex she/he is but no experience so I was hoping some of you could help me. I really appreciate this thread and bc of it have started to completely change I husbandry. Also is their a way to tell how old Cricket is? Just a couple days ago she/he started getting a little green around her mouth and now you can see a little green on one leg also. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• EDD15BE8-EB92-4A76-8950-9068DB4943C8.jpeg
    EDD15BE8-EB92-4A76-8950-9068DB4943C8.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 0ABE44F3-6CF1-4717-88C0-BCA3BA1ABA65.jpeg
    0ABE44F3-6CF1-4717-88C0-BCA3BA1ABA65.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 86
Cricket is scared of the phone but attempting more pictures. I put surprise me when I bought him bc I thought they would tell me when they sent him/her but no such luck. Thank you to everyone!

Attachments

• F1B612A7-BBB9-4B3E-A649-7237432033C6.jpeg
    F1B612A7-BBB9-4B3E-A649-7237432033C6.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 4AE764F1-5669-485E-8CE8-B44FF738881D.jpeg
    4AE764F1-5669-485E-8CE8-B44FF738881D.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 63
And FYI I do not typically hold him. This was only the 3rd time in a month and the first 2 where just to move him/her to a temporary cage as I upgraded the cage.

I’m not positive. I’ve had Cricket for 4 weeks. I don’t know how old she/he was when I got purchased him they said he would be 1-3 months old.
So anywhere from 2-4 months old? Is the breeder reputable? Panthers should only be sold after 3 months of age. As for determining sex, half the pics look female, and the other half look male. I would say male because while you can’t see a hemipenal bulge, the tail is thick. Sorry if I couldn’t be more help!

Thank you. I didn’t know anything correct about chameleons when I got Cricket. I was told all the pet store bs and until I started researching I believed it. I know more now mostly because of these threads and the Chamaeleon Academy so I’ve changed a lot of things about how I care for cricket. I got him from CB reptiles. Cricket will just be a surprise for a while longer and honestly it won’t make a huge difference bc I got a dragon strand cage coming in the mail and I am turning it into a bioactive environment so if it is a female she will have plenty of room to dig tunnels to lay eggs. I don’t card what sex as long as Cricket is healthy. I was just more curious. I thought it was better to be safe since I didn’t know and I’ve been having trouble keeping humidity up so I hope that adding the life plants and the mist king will help.

Thank you. I didn’t know anything correct about chameleons when I got Cricket. I was told all the pet store bs and until I started researching I believed it. I know more now mostly because of these threads and the Chamaeleon Academy so I’ve changed a lot of things about how I care for cricket. I got him from CB reptiles. Cricket will just be a surprise for a while longer and honestly it won’t make a huge difference bc I got a dragon strand cage coming in the mail and I am turning it into a bioactive environment so if it is a female she will have plenty of room to dig tunnels to lay eggs. I don’t card what sex as long as Cricket is healthy. I was just more curious. I thought it was better to be safe since I didn’t know and I’ve been having trouble keeping humidity up so I hope that adding the life plants and the mist king will help.
That’s awesome that you‘ll keep him/her no matter the gender! Since she’s from CB Reptile, definitely get a fecal float done! It wouldn’t hurt to take him/her to an experienced chameleon vet for a general check-up, bloodwork, x-rays, etc. either. Bring multiple fresh fecal staples in if possible after the first one. Depending on the lifecycle stage parasites are, they won’t always show up in a fecal. Definetly get him/her’s fecal cleared before going bioactive! Also, great choice for going bioactive! If you want your husbandry reviewed on here to make sure everything is 100%, feel free to fill out the ask for help form (last pinned green thread in the health clinic forum)!

I got my nosey be Cham from CB reptiles and also expected a 1-3 month old but when I got him he was like a week or two old, he was so tiny!!

That’s awesome that you‘ll keep him/her no matter the gender! Since she’s from CB Reptile, definitely get a fecal float done! It wouldn’t hurt to take him/her to an experienced chameleon vet for a general check-up, bloodwork, x-rays, etc. either. Bring multiple fresh fecal staples in if possible after the first one. Depending on the lifecycle stage parasites are, they won’t always show up in a fecal. Definetly get him/her’s fecal cleared before going bioactive! Also, great choice for going bioactive! If you want your husbandry reviewed on here to make sure everything is 100%, feel free to fill out the ask for help form (last pinned green thread in the health clinic forum)!
Awesome thanks for the tip. I live in a little tiny town in the vet is not at all familiar with chameleons. I have an appointment with a vet in bigger town. The only thing I’m worried about is keeping her warm during the drive. I’ll make sure I bring a fecal sample.

I just found how to transport him on a different thread in here. Thanks so much again everyone

Back
Top Bottom