Mealybugs >_<

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m a moron, and in a desperate bid to keep my plants alive while on vacation - I moved some new plants into the bottom of my cham enclosures to benefit from the misting.

Fairly certain that mealybugs tagged along in one/some of them, despite me spot checking beforehand. Now I have a pretty awful mealy bug issue in walter’s cage. Fortunately, most appear on a plant that I planned to remove anyway - and we were planning on moving him to a new stand and replanting this week, anyway.

Now I need to treat the whole house as there is a chance they spread to/from the free range.

I plan to clean each plant with dish soap and alcohol, followed by a jet of water. Rinse, repeat. Anyone have any other useful tips?

This sucks!

Helpfully you have better success than I did. I tried everything from soap and alcohol to lady bugs I hand to toss the pant because it started to make its way to other plants

Ehhhh! They spread to a monstera already - who knows where else. Im glad it was walts cage but man would it suck to break them all down

So an update: these turds suck. They got on many of my houseplants thanks to new plants (new lesson - quarantine new plants). Total PITA dragging every plant outside to hose down and spray with alcohol/dawn. I also have had to dissect the cham cages for a similiar treatment. It has helped but I will need to repeat this every few weeks until the weather is too cold to do so.

I think im going to add some lacewings to the enclosures, just to help with the final cleanup. Lacewings are small, nontoxic, and will prey on plant pests. Lets see how it goes!

So an update: these turds suck. They got on many of my houseplants thanks to new plants (new lesson - quarantine new plants). Total PITA dragging every plant outside to hose down and spray with alcohol/dawn. I also have had to dissect the cham cages for a similiar treatment. It has helped but I will need to repeat this every few weeks until the weather is too cold to do so.

I think im going to add some lacewings to the enclosures, just to help with the final cleanup. Lacewings are small, nontoxic, and will prey on plant pests. Lets see how it goes!
Let me know how the lacewings work. I I’d ladybugs and they barley helped. I found some mealtys on one of my plants. I guess trashing that pothos didn’t help!!

I had a croton and jade that I just straight up trashed. They had a lot of mealybugs and I just wasnt attached enough to fight it. My cham plants and tropicals are another story and not so easily replaced.

Back
Top Bottom