Mealworms or superworms?

Cheeseball01

I am thinking about making either mealworms or superworms the staple of my male veileds diet and just supplementing with crickets every now and then. I have read bits and pieces on here about which one is better but I thought id get a few more opinions before I place my order. Any input on which of these two worms you use or prefer and why would be very helpful. Thanks!:)

Superworms are the way to go. Meal worms are not very good for chameleons because of their high chitlin, which can cause impaction and can be fatal

i wouldnt make either worm a staple, make them a snack. these worms have a lot of fat and its not beneficial to fatten up your cham on snacks all the time.
Ive said before and i'll say it again..."just remember mealworms to chams are like a cheeseburger to humans, may taste good but are filled with fat.":D

Mealworms are not nutritious. Superworms are good, but they can be fattening and/or addictive.

*Edit:
I didn't see above answers, I apologize. If you want to spend your money on worms, I suggest silk worms. They are a superior food source.

I wouldnt make any of them a staple. like everyone else said just a snack. A variety is what you want. Silkworms are a good to use frequently but they cant be gutloaded with fresh fruits and veggies or any premade gutload. You also need to provide some type of harder bodied feeder. The 2 best bugs to gutload are crix and roaches they eat anything and everything. I use these and silkies as an every feeding choice.

Nope, neither of them as a staple. Superworms contain nearly 17% fat, when waxworms are only 11% fat. Despite being a little higher in protein, they're really not that good nutriotionally.

I agree with the general consensus. Worms (meal, super, wax) are NOT good choices as a staple diet. I agree very much with those that suggest a wide variety of feeders. Just as you would not be a healthy human if you only ate cheese burgers, your chameleon will not be healthy if you only feed it one fatty item, even if you occasionally toss in an alternative. Try to offer you chameleon something different at every feeding. Roaches in the morning, a superworm for lunch, crickets for dinner, silkworms for the next breakfast, cricket for lunch, a stick insect and a butterworm for dinner...

Well I try as best I can to have lots of variety but its a little difficult where I live. IM about an hour and a half from Denver in the mountains so I pretty much have to order all my veileds food whatever that may be. I decided to stay with crickets for now which is mostly what he"ll be fed and anytime I make it down to Denver I pick him up a couple different types of worms. And my wife and I live in a 650 square ft studio apartment and if I tried to bring roaches in here I would most definitely be divorced soon. If one of those things got loose and ended up in the bed, well, you can imagine how that would go! Anyway's, Does anyone here know by chance a good pet store or somewhere in Denver that carries a good selection of worms or maybe even roaches? If I could just pick up a enough roaches for a few feedings I could swing that and throw a few other worms in for some more variety. That would make my life alot easier and cheaper, seeing how i usually have to have all his food overnighted which adds up really fast!

Back
Top Bottom