MBD

i’m sorry for asking but how can i syringe feed her a hornworm ?
no dont be sorry, chameleons wind pipes are at the top, so make sure you point the syringe down, smash up the hornworm and put it in, hten rub the tip of the syringe gently against the mouth of the cham and try to coax their mouth open. than push it in a little at a time making sure she swallows.

no dont be sorry, chameleons wind pipes are at the top, so make sure you point the syringe down, smash up the hornworm and put it in, hten rub the tip of the syringe gently against the mouth of the cham and try to coax their mouth open. than push it in a little at a time making sure she swallows.
i’ll definitely try to do that, my pet store opens at 9 so i’ll go get hornworms then. we are trying to find a chameleon specialized vet that’s open and has availability. is a syringe from children’s medication okay ?

can someone tell me if i’m supposed to get the t5 ho 10.00 uvb or t5 ho 5.00 uvb, i’m so sorry for asking.

C1125105-AEFC-454B-AEF5-0ED3AF514197.jpeg

the article i just read said the throat is at the top in the very back, i’m confused. can you help. i don’t want to get hornworm stuck in her windpipe

ThIs is what someone sent me when I syringe feed my cham

Just an FYI be extremely careful when syringe feeding. Below is a post shared by another member on a different thread. Basically, get the syringe toward the back of the throat and slowly put the liquid in the chams mouth.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/warning-to-all-chameleon-owners.80201/page-2

"I thought this would be a great place to give people an idea of anatomy for future reference.
full

Unlike in mammals where the windpipe and esophagus are basically very close to each other in the far back of the mouth, chameleons (and most reptiles) have their windpipe at the bottom middle of the mouth and the throat is much farther back. The blue arrow points to the esophagus where the food goes. The red arrow points to the glottis, or opening of the trachea where only air should go. (in this pic the glottis is closed) That tube structure that leads to it is the trachea itself. The mouth has kind of a scoop shape. So the point is, when you squirt water into the mouth it will naturally pool at the bottom unless it is swallowed immediately. And this is bad because the windpipe is right there on the bottom of the mouth, which makes it very easy for them to aspirate! This is especially true if they are stressed and hissing, because then that glottis is already open (to hiss out air) and water can go straight down into it so easily."

If you have to syringe feed or administer any oral meds always get the tip of the syringe in the back of the mouth. A good point to aim for is the back of the jaw and slowly push the plunger.

i’m trying to post a video of my cham walking so you guys can see what i’m talking about but it’s not letting me upload it !

Back
Top Bottom