Warning to all chameleon owners

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your little one. Thank you for sharing this tragic event as it will help others to learn how delicate this can be. My heart goes out to you.

In case this does happen again for whatever reason, you can try to remove the liquids by holding the chameleon between your hands securely and carefully/gently move them up and down with the head facing downwards. Does that make sense? I believe JanB posted about the technique before so I'll see if I can find it.

edit: here you all go:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/cpr-chameleons-31759/

A little late to the game here, but I'm very sorry for this terrible experience and your loss. :(

I thought this would be a great place to give people an idea of anatomy for future reference.

full

Unlike in mammals where the windpipe and esophagus are basically very close to each other in the far back of the mouth, chameleons (and most reptiles) have their windpipe at the bottom middle of the mouth and the throat is much farther back. The blue arrow points to the esophagus where the food goes. The red arrow points to the glottis, or opening of the trachea where only air should go. (in this pic the glottis is closed) That tube structure that leads to it is the trachea itself. The mouth has kind of a scoop shape. So the point is, when you squirt water into the mouth it will naturally pool at the bottom unless it is swallowed immediately. And this is bad because the windpipe is right there on the bottom of the mouth, which makes it very easy for them to aspirate! This is especially true if they are stressed and hissing, because then that glottis is already open (to hiss out air) and water can go straight down into it so easily.

If you need to get extra water in (which I have to do on a daily basis for a very stubborn panther) the best way is how Olimpia described: give them something to eat and while they are chewing slowly squirt in small amounts. The glottis is closed at that point because they're eating so that is safest.

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:

In TX they give them away for free, so druggies dont use dirty ones:rolleyes:

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for posting this. I think it is great that your chameleon experience can be used to help others from experiencing this. I am very sorry your chameleon has passed. like someone else said it was not your fault. Your vet should have explained how to do it and make sure that you understood before you left the vet. Again I am very sorry for your loss you will be in my thoughts. May he Rest In Peace!

They do the same thing here in London as well and I know Hamilton, Toronto, and Calgary Alberta they do the same thing. There are several places in the downtown core of London. There is also a program that I volunteer at called London Cares they have people that walk around downtown with fresh needles and disposal boxes as well as band aids and water and snacks for homeless and anyone else that wants it.

A little late to the game here, but I'm very sorry for this terrible experience and your loss. :(

I thought this would be a great place to give people an idea of anatomy for future reference.

full

Unlike in mammals where the windpipe and esophagus are basically very close to each other in the far back of the mouth, chameleons (and most reptiles) have their windpipe at the bottom middle of the mouth and the throat is much farther back. The blue arrow points to the esophagus where the food goes. The red arrow points to the glottis, or opening of the trachea where only air should go. (in this pic the glottis is closed) That tube structure that leads to it is the trachea itself. The mouth has kind of a scoop shape. So the point is, when you squirt water into the mouth it will naturally pool at the bottom unless it is swallowed immediately. And this is bad because the windpipe is right there on the bottom of the mouth, which makes it very easy for them to aspirate! This is especially true if they are stressed and hissing, because then that glottis is already open (to hiss out air) and water can go straight down into it so easily.

If you need to get extra water in (which I have to do on a daily basis for a very stubborn panther) the best way is how Olimpia described: give them something to eat and while they are chewing slowly squirt in small amounts. The glottis is closed at that point because they're eating so that is safest.

Thank you so much for posting this photo with the detailed information. It is very helpful for us who are eager to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great tip... to get food in while they eat. What would you suggest as a method if the cham is not eating?

@tkalawart I'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart breaks with yours :(

Sorry for you loss. it is unfortunate your vet didn't show you how to do it. Hope this doesn't detour your like of these cool little guys.

Even if this thread is 5 years old, I just learnt something really important as to where a chameleons windpipe is. That's exactly where I would have thought to put water to be on the safe side, how wrong I would have been. Thank you ferretinmyshoes :)

This is a very useful thread.
Note: Your veterinarian can sell you syringes with or without needles if you need them for giving meds. They are technically being prescribed for your pet. You can ask for them when you have your pets exam or within a reasonable amount of time after your last visit.

Back
Top Bottom